MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Talking WHY HARLEYS SUCK!!!!

HAHAHAHHAHAHHA

http://harleys-suck.redztread.com/whs.html

First Things First
Ok, like the title says, first things first…Harley-Davidson Motorcycles suck, period. They are overweight, over priced, over-hyped, underpowered, pieces of cantankerous . If you own, or want to own, a H-D motorcycle, you are a victim of advertising and a conformist. That’s right, a conformist…not an individual. I'll discuss that more in detail later.
Since I’m on the subject of details, here is a list of the items I shall be discussing in this posting:
1. Intro: part deux.
2. Cruisers vs. Harleys.
3. What you ride.
4. Harley Riders
5. What I ride.
6. Basic economics.
7. You’ve been punked.
8. Dénouement.
Intro: Part Deux

Now I know there are going to be those of you who are going to be absolutely incensed about my coming statements. If you find yourself thinking of me using any number of choice colorful metaphors, then no doubt, you fell victim to the H-D cycle company (I can’t bring myself to use the word “motor” when referring to Harleys anymore. "Cycle" is even a stretch.) I’ll be called anti-American for not having followed the legacy of the “American Iron” company. Well I’m ****ing sorry. First off, I am an American, and the best kind. I’ve proudly served in the best Army on the planet (Active, not Reserve or Guard) for 12 years and counting. I have MY OWN opinion. I don’t pull punches or sugar coat what I think to appease the masses. I make my own decisions, something this country was founded on. I don’t sway my decisions to take the path of least resistance or most accepted. I consider myself an individual for who I am, not what I own.
You might be asking yourself right now, "What does this have to do with Harley-Davidson?" I’m making sure that as you're reading this, it's clear on where I’m coming from. An indiviual's argument is always more clear when you have an understanding of the speaker’s point of view. I don’t think that this is going to convince any of you, naturally. Most of you who ride H-D cycles are already so brainwashed that no amount of arguing, regardless of the validity of the argument, is going to convince you, but I digress.
Cruisers vs. Harleys

I should make this one point; I have no problem with cruisers, I actually like them. Sport bikes aren't for everybody. When I say “cruiser”, I am talking about non-sport bike types. I’m including standards, cruisers, customs, tourers, and power cruisers in the same category as far as this argument is concerned (not in real life, just for that sake of the argument here. I don't want to off the Wingers). Regardless of your type of ride, if it has two wheels, it's a motorcycle, period (with the possible exception of anything below 125cc). The beauty of motorcycling is there is a different bike for every rider’s wants or needs. The problem undermining all the beauty of motorcycling is the Harley-Davidson Motor Company.
There are a lot of motorcycle manufacturers that build great cruisers. There’s BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Triumph, Victory, and Yamaha that I can think of off the top of my head. All of these companies develop their motorcycles with a few simple things in mind. Those things are power, comfort, performance, reliability, and beating the out of the competition. When they develop their bikes, they work to make better bikes than they have made in the past and better than all the other companies. When they advertise their bikes, they boast about the ability and affordability of their machines. Harley-Davidson, however, does none of this.
What you ride.
Harley-Davidson does not sell motorcycles. They sell an idea, an image, a facade. They sell a “lifestyle”. They bombard people with this image that comes with buying their cycles. Compared to other motorcycle companies, H-D puts next to no time into the research and development of new and better cycles. They sell nostalgia, old bikes at new prices. If you look at their history, on average, H-D used the same engines from four to 28 years without updates.

timetable Let’s do the math. From 1936 to 2003, H-D has released approximately 66 different models of motorcycles (the term “model” is used loosely, the word should be "variant") and 10 different engines (again, used loosely). That averages out to 6.6 bikes per engine. Almost every other motorcycle company I can think of has used the same engine in maybe two bikes, at most, three. Additionally, the engine designers of these other companies are continuously updating and revising their products using current materials, composites, techniques, and technologies. The advancements and competition move forward so fast that most companies have to fight to keep up with them, but somehow, they do. With more improvements developing every year, what does that say about H-D when they use every engine they produce an average of 10.3 years. Ask yourself this; how is it that Harley uses the same recycled engines year after year and the import companies spend millions of dollars on development, and H-D still charges you twice the price. What is it you're paying for exactly? The name? Are you really that stupid? They are using your naivety to rob you, and you're proud of it.
From 1985 to 2000, the only type of engine Harley was using was the Evolution engine, a total of three. Now, I can’t tell you exactly how many Harley models came out in those 15 years, but I’m sure it was more than the amount of engines used. It speaks volumes for the Research and Development team, doesn’t it? On top of that, for 2003, 18 different models of Harleys all use the same Twin Cam 88B engine. 18. How is it that H-D's Willie G. Davidson himself states that the engine is the jewel of a motorcycle, or what makes it stand out, and yet he uses it in 18 different "variants". This man has no concept of irony.
To add insult to injury, I’ve compiled some information to show you. I did a little comparison-shopping and came up with some not so surprising results. I compared the advertising from H-D for all its categories of bikes (I tried to get the advertising specs for specific bikes, but the website didn’t seem to have any, big surprise!), the Suzuki Intruder LC1500, and the Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic.
First, we will look at the advertising H-D used to get you into their shops straight from the Harley-Davidson website: (Oh, and the typos, bad grammar and punctuation errors are from the site. My additions are in blue)
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Cats on new harleys? Vividkid General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-22-2011 09:21 PM
New Harleys Triumphant General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-04-2011 09:53 AM
SUCK IT LONG, SUCK IT HARD AGGIES!!! HoustonGixxer Sports 50 12-01-2009 01:26 PM
Anyone know Harleys? SFT2 Cruisers Lounge 40 12-02-2008 08:18 AM
ALL HARLEYS SUCK !!!!!!! FastLine Cruisers Lounge 52 09-04-2008 06:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

cliffnotes???
Old 07-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

^^^ no , I didnt read it either, but I am sure the jest of it is... to say he thinks Harleys suck....cliff note = don't buy one then.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
SE_Ryder122

Bike(s):
2001 R6 Champions Edition (Sold)

since i was bored at work i actually read it. kinda funny. doesn't just talk about harleys for the of it. he actually backs his argument up.
SE_Ryder122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

makes you wonder, why, myself as a Harley rider dont really care what ya ride, as long as you ride, its all cool in my book. but as metric riders almost all have to trash on the Harleys. I dont know why its like that, but it is. I seriously dont have an answer why there is such animosity towards the Harley breed....
funny note to mention, I have gone and helped numerous metric riders get them home when they were stranded, and not one took that opportunity to voice their opinions about Harleys then....go figure.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Scooter, you're cool in my book. You know I just like to stir the pot. We're all bikers, except Porshito!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
PORSCHITO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
hahahahaha sad but true lol....
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
ownage
Banned

User is banned

Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #10
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki
Scooter, you're cool in my book. You know I just like to stir the pot. We're all bikers, except Porshito!
oh my.....:laughing6

wasnt saying about me being cool or not, was just noting, thats the metric mentality and I dunno why it is. To me, if your bikin' its all good..., I found myself giving a wave to an old dude on a moped the other day. He just looked at me like I was crazy

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #11
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
makes you wonder, why, myself as a Harley rider dont really care what ya ride, as long as you ride, its all cool in my book. but as metric riders almost all have to trash on the Harleys. I dont know why its like that, but it is. I seriously dont have an answer why there is such animosity towards the Harley breed....
funny note to mention, I have gone and helped numerous metric riders get them home when they were stranded, and not one took that opportunity to voice their opinions about Harleys then....go figure.
youre cool in my book...you just got to work on wearing all your gear...

DSCN0681
Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
ownage
Banned

User is banned

Old 07-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
i know three harley owners,and they are ALWAYS having to fix something....most bikes are clockwork,

until you stunt them
mebbe their maintanance suxors? I have to say, for this being my first harley, its taken some serious abuse on my part, when new, it got ran like it was stolen with zero break in period. When I turbo'ed it, it got abused "lean" many times over when I would look down at the wideband and it would have sucked the carb bowl dry and reading 19.5 afr's.
When I tore it apart to go big bore, not because it needed, just because I'm retarded like that, the factory pistons and cylinders looked perfect, in fact re-sold them to a guy upgrading from an 883 bore to my 1200 stock stuff.
It has treated me well for 15k+ miles and I havent been as kind to it.
maybe I just picked a good-un, dunno

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
210y24i
when I was a wee lad, they used to pimp one in the Houston area.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #15
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipboy326
youre cool in my book...you just got to work on wearing all your gear...

DSCN0681
i usually do, but knowing it was gonna be a scorcher that day wouldnt help if I wiped out. but seriously, I usually do wear my gear and a full face helmet toooooooooooo

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #16
ownage
Banned

User is banned

Old 07-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #17
ownage
Banned

User is banned

Old 07-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #18
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
i usually do, but knowing it was gonna be a scorcher that day wouldnt help if I wiped out. but seriously, I usually do wear my gear and a full face helmet toooooooooooo
i cant get on you too much...it was burning up that day.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #19
akimezunico

Bike(s):
Seka II

Send a message via AIM to akimezunico
i still like the sounds of the harleys over almost all else
Originally Posted by fuknrobert
worthlesswithoutpics
4thgenerationmaxima
akimezunico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #20
PORSCHITO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki
holy i didnt see that... i said sad but true about ur hardley post.... not about ur comment about me lol...
wait that might be sad but true too
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement