Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

Do you follow your owners manual?

Alright, so right now what I am doing is saving money, keeping riding to a minimum so I can get alot of things done to my bike at once. Example: new sprockets and chain, bmc race filter put in, install power commander, get steering bearings checked etc.. But I bought a owners manual and it has the service recommendations and i bought my bike with 10,000 miles and about im about hit 12,000 and it says im in need of new spark plugs, steering head bearings, and brake lining. Do yall follow the service recs in your manuals or what does MH recommend?

Side note: Im asking bc I am kinda newb and although I like to learn I just dont trust myself doing things to my bike and riding it lol, so for literally everything I take it over to Motorcycles Unlimited
Fz6R Owners & Ninja 650 Owners specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 12-22-2008 11:32 AM
'01-'03 GSXR 600 Owners/Service Manual Bean General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 04-02-2008 01:37 PM
03 crf450r owners manual BigComfy How To's and Q & A's 4 11-16-2007 07:33 PM
Honda Owners Manual Candie General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 05-06-2007 11:51 PM
owners manual cameron1507 How To's and Q & A's 3 09-25-2006 11:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Consult your mom for maintenance, let Motorcycles Unlimited take care of the work unless you trust yourself to do it without messing anything up. Patrick and company will tell you for sure what you need, and spend that money that you're going to use on performance parts and upgrade rider. That is all.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

I follow my manual as close as possible but I just did my plugs and they were still looking ok so I kinda wish I waited longer. But then again, I had iridium plugs and they last forever. I guess since you might not know what kind of plugs are in there, it doesn't hurt to replace them. Oil is always good to change. Patrick always says Oil is cheap, engines are expensive so I try to live by that. My air filter was dirty as . I have a K&N now and plan on refreshing it fairly often. Alot of people will tell you not to follow the service recommendations but it's your baby so take care of it the way you see fit, that's how I see it.

oh yea, and I'd advise against a race filter, they let more thru and should be used only for track. I found a freakin' leaf in my airbox so who knows what else gets in there. The streets are filled with
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
I follow my manual as close as possible but I just did my plugs and they were still looking ok so I kinda wish I waited longer. But then again, I had iridium plugs and they last forever. I guess since you might not know what kind of plugs are in there, it doesn't hurt to replace them. Oil is always good to change. Patrick always says Oil is cheap, engines are expensive so I try to live by that. My air filter was dirty as . I have a K&N now and plan on refreshing it fairly often. Alot of people will tell you not to follow the service recommendations but it's your baby so take care of it the way you see fit, that's how I see it.

oh yea, and I'd advise against a race filter, they let more thru and should be used only for track. I found a freakin' leaf in my airbox so who knows what else gets in there. The streets are filled with
Ya I hear that. I guess ill just add it to the list of things to do. I change oil pretty often, and clean and lube chain every two or three rides.

anyhow, Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Gigolo Jason

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

Most of the time unless I know it's wrong. BMW has a way of over doing their service manuals. That and sometimes they are just plain wrong.

GJ
Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Navajib

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Yep, I follow MOM's service intervals and do the regular maintenance. I'm a newb too so it helps having a manual to follow.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
tex_garza
can a busa be a trackbike

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2009 hayabusa

dont trust that manual theyre only the people who designed and manufactured the bike what the do they know lol but seriously i try to follow it as closely as i can

Advertisement