Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Sounds like a big wreck, a few fights, an a ton of tickets.

I'm with the few others, it's not so much the cagers as it is the riders. I drive in hoist daily now. It's not uncommon to get buzzed, cut off, or paced by some jackass on a bike. It's also getting rare to see riders in full gear, or even a lid, jeans, and jacket.
At lunch, in pouring down rain, I saw a guy in cargo shorts, sleeveless shirt, no helmet, and tennis. How do you ride in the rain with no helmet or glasses? I couldn't imagine how hard that is, let alone how unsafe. I have ridden enough jetskis to know water in the face at 35+mph is hard on the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorNinja500 View Post
good idea in concept. but maybe some sign on the back of your jacket saying something like

" please don't hit me. hit the 10% of jackasses doing wheelies on sportbikes"

yeah . that's a winner right there
I like this a lot. I want one now.

As to the OP, if the media coverage would lead to a sympathy towards motorcycles and a more active effort from government officials it would work. But unfortunately, I think all the negative aspects of the large group ride would be the headlines and would do more harm than good. Also, I agree that there doesn't seem to be many accidents/deaths that are truly a cager's fault. Most of them have been due to rider error.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Awareness Month KaHoot Safety Corner Main 1 06-13-2014 09:42 AM
Rider awareness? humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-05-2011 02:32 PM
Motorcycle awareness course MCgixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-07-2010 01:39 PM
K's ride for breast cancer awareness K's Events, Meets and Rides 10 10-20-2010 06:46 PM
Awareness Test Fuzzy018 Off Topic 3 03-18-2008 09:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #22
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
I think you're right, and I was going to ask how some of you more experienced riders handle that, as I've only been on the street two years. It seems like a double edged sword. When I go a little faster than traffic and flow through the gaps I spend less time next to cars so they don't really have a chance to take my lane. On the other hand I'm always worried that's going to get me pulled over. I suppose there's a balance.
If you had time and decided to knock on a car window because you're being squeezed between a car and a truck... stop and think about that awhile.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
triumphant675r

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

the only reason for that was I literally had nowhere to go, there was a car in front of me and splitting the lane at that moment might have ended just as badly. Normally I would grab a handfull of throttle and get out of there, but thatls the point, she was in my lane so quick and I had nowhere to go, her window was less than an arms length so I had to get her attention...but as mudbug stated if I stayed at a pace fsster than traffic I wouldn't have been there
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

In another post a while back I also mention have safety. So I'd say have safety vendors (i.e. gear vendors) sponsor it (because of the amount of fatalities due to lack of gear) and don't let the media get wind of it, but flat out let them know. But you'd have to get all motorcyclist involved. So you'd have to put the word out to all the MC's in town or any groups.

I think its a wonderful idea. Make it a MH controled event so no one else takes claim. (So owners, admins, mods, etc should be involved heavily at least on the ride portion if not more). I know of a fairly large MC I'll talk to that would be interested as they have a brother now that they are trying to get people to donate blood to up in dallas from a motorcycle crash.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
the only reason for that was I literally had nowhere to go, there was a car in front of me and splitting the lane at that moment might have ended just as badly. Normally I would grab a handfull of throttle and get out of there, but thatls the point, she was in my lane so quick and I had nowhere to go, her window was less than an arms length so I had to get her attention...but as mudbug stated if I stayed at a pace fsster than traffic I wouldn't have been there
You know these things come equipped with brakes and horns.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #26
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorNinja500 View Post
good idea in concept. but maybe some sign on the back of your jacket saying something like

" please don't hit me. hit the 80% of jackasses doing wheelies on sportbikes"

yeah . that's a winner right there
thats awesome, but I fixed the slight error for ya

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #27
triumphant675r

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
You know these things come equipped with brakes and horns.
this is true..and slamming on my brakes in morning traffic on 59 is a great way to get rear ended, and then run over. i'll have to get a louder horn, mine doesn't seem to get much attention because it sounds like a mosquito buzzing around
Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #28
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

If riding bikes was safe then I wouldn't like it. Don't go raising awareness and ruin it for me.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #29
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
this is true..and slamming on my brakes in morning traffic on 59 is a great way to get rear ended, and then run over. i'll have to get a louder horn, mine doesn't seem to get much attention because it sounds like a mosquito buzzing around
Imagine for a second, that someone might have a tad more experience on the street than you do. With that, examine your situation and instead of trying to find excuses and justifications for what you did look at what you could have done differently. Because, simply put reaching out to knock on a window while driving in traffic is NOT a smart, nor safe act to do in order to get out of a sticky situation.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #30
triumphant675r

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Imagine for a second, that someone might have a tad more experience on the street than you do. With that, examine your situation and instead of trying to find excuses and justifications for what you did look at what you could have done differently. Because, simply put reaching out to knock on a window while driving in traffic is NOT a smart, nor safe act to do in order to get out of a sticky situation.
you're right. i'm not debating that i have a lot of experience. 2 years on a street bike puts me about equal to an 18 year old driving a car for two years-which means i have a long way to go. that was just one example, and at the time i was boxed in and that probably was not the only option or even a smart one, and i know it was probably my fault for being boxed in in the first place. typically i'm out of the way before the car taking my lane even crosses the dotted line, it just seems like if i ride through traffic faster than the other cars suddenly i'm the because i'm speeding (maybe 15 over) and if i do my best to maintain my lane and the speed limit i end up nearly run over
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #31
yeraboof
( . v . )

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
it just seems like if i ride through traffic faster than the other cars suddenly i'm the because i'm speeding (maybe 15 over) and if i do my best to maintain my lane and the speed limit i end up nearly run over
Think of traffic is a dynamic, ever changing entity. Unless no one is on the road, I don't think you should ever ride at a set speed. A rider should constantly be judging what lies ahead, next to, behind, and adjust your speed accordingly. Try not to ride with a pack of cagers. Find the pockets in between the packs... if possible.

One can usually predict when a cager will change lanes. There are many tell-tale signs cagers usually exhibit. Learn them, but don't rely on them.

Secondly, lane position. Assuming you have a good shoulder to work with a good spot to be is in the far left line hugging that yellow line. That way, if someone hits their brakes, changes lanes into you, or comes in hot from behind, you have a good escape route. I think this is especially good with really thick traffic.

Also, (now this one is probably debatable) I think a rider should be comfortable with lane splitting. It is illegal and yes, dangerous; HOWEVER, in the situation you described earlier, splitting the lane to get away from a cager sandwich sounds like the lesser of two evils.

Like they say, "ride like you're invisible".
Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #32
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeraboof View Post
Think of traffic is a dynamic, ever changing entity. Unless no one is on the road, I don't think you should ever ride at a set speed. A rider should constantly be judging what lies ahead, next to, behind, and adjust your speed accordingly. Try not to ride with a pack of cagers. Find the pockets in between the packs... if possible.

One can usually predict when a cager will change lanes. There are many tell-tale signs cagers usually exhibit. Learn them, but don't rely on them.

Secondly, lane position. Assuming you have a good shoulder to work with a good spot to be is in the far left line hugging that yellow line. That way, if someone hits their brakes, changes lanes into you, or comes in hot from behind, you have a good escape route. I think this is especially good with really thick traffic.

Also, (now this one is probably debatable) I think a rider should be comfortable with lane splitting. It is illegal and yes, dangerous; HOWEVER, in the situation you described earlier, splitting the lane to get away from a cager sandwich sounds like the lesser of two evils.

Like they say, "ride like you're invisible".
Good post. I am lacking on experience as well and from more experienced riders and my own experience so far I agree with everything you said even the lane splitting. I am against lane splitting as a general rule here in Houston, but I have done it to get away from bad situations. Interestingly the other day a car in front of me was hugging the yellow line in front of me and a car was taking my lane, I actually ended up sharing a lane to move out. I have learned that there are no set rules for all situations. Sometimes you have to adapt and use what you are given.

BTW, thank you triumphant for posting here, as I like reading more experienced opinions on our rookie situations.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #33
triumphant675r

Bike(s):

Member Garage

BTW, thank you triumphant for posting here, as I like reading more experienced opinions on our rookie situations. [/QUOTE]

as do i, there are a lot of people here we can learn from vs learning the hard way.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #34
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned