MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Post Shiloh Ridge Race #7

Got to Shiloh Ridge Saturday afternoon after spending most of the morning nursing a slight hangover and fishing at grandpas. Made the additional 50 mile drive from his place to get their early to set up the camper and unload all my junk. Everything is in place, Saturday races are over and practice to begin.

Time to go take in a site lap and check out the course. With this course being 11 miles long and 4 easy/hard combos I knew there would be places to make up ground (or lose it if ya crashed ). I was impressed with course layout....mega elevation changes (I'll explain this a little later), soft sand sections, hard clay sections along with tight woods and S curved berms (my new favorite), and then a mile or so of some straight line WOT to clean out all that oil to keep from fouling a plug. With two of the easy/hards being right at the beginning of the course I knew it would be a spot to make up ground or lose it...so I practiced it 4 times Saturday after scoping the course. I had it down.

On to the race. Green flag drops and so does the BS...it's race time! Unfortunately my bike wasn't ready. It took me 3 kicks to get it fired and I had a terrible start. Let me explain the start, 200 yrds of wide open grass followed by a dog left (which was filled with sand) which led you to the woods. My trackday experience has taught me so much that I have been able to bring to the dirt scene. The most important thing, late braking. I must have started in the last 25 percentile of 20 riders or so. I picked off 5 people going into that first left turn by late braking before the sand pit. Then I picked off another 5-7 riders heading down into the woods and out braking them into the trail. that's a good feeling (I was smiling knowing I off a few folks ). Then it was into the woods. 2 of the 4 easy/hards were right at the beginning (one downhill/one uphill - I believe they call this helicopter hill). I knew this would be a section to make up ground if needed and my game plan was to take the route less crowded in the event that someone crashed going downhill or up. I had 5 or 6 riders still in front of me and ALL of them took the first easy downhill. SWEET! I elected for the hard and bam, I pinched all them racers off too. Took the hard up and never looked back. I only crashed twice in 80 minutes of pretty hard riding. My back was hurting, my right palm was developing a blister, but I was at the front of the pack...I even caught a couple C riders along the way. Anyhow, I paid no attention to the screen with my time/place as I crossed the start line first time through. This would only discourage me (if I wasn't doing as well as I had thought) or encourage me to slow my pace to conserve energy (if I was doing well). Anyhow, two laps later I crossed the finish line and the screen said 1st. What?!?! Sweet. So I managed my first top of the podium finish (even if it was the D class) this season and have somewhat closed the gap on the first place points leader as I think I've moved from 5th to 2nd or 3rd (I think).

Next race is in 2 weeks at Lake Sam Rayburn (which is a little N/NE of Lufkin I believe). Nice to see some new MH faces out at the races (Squanto and Lostner) and I hope to see some of the old timers (Hotnanas, Pimpdaub, and others) back out there.

Thanks to all of you who participated. I hope you enjoyed yourself and please, please, please drag your buddies out for the next one. It's nice to see 20 peeps starting each race.

Until next time.

DBuck
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lap 1 at Shiloh Ridge last weekend with TXORR CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 06-24-2013 08:08 PM
TXORR Shiloh Ridge 3/10-11 CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 32 03-13-2012 08:24 AM
Xtreme Off Road Race @ Shiloh Ridge this weekend 5/21&22 dbuck Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 14 05-24-2011 09:03 AM
TX EXTREME OFFROAD Race #7 Shiloh Ridge Sept 18 & 19 dbuck Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 28 09-19-2010 10:09 PM
Hare Scramble #3 Report - Shiloh Ridge dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 04-24-2010 07:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Here are some pics from Navijab's gopro....maybe a video to follow in the next few days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajib View Post
Here are some pics from the GoPro. I love this cam.

start2 vi
startdeleted
start vi
dbuck vi
hillclimb vi
Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

I should proofread before I hit submit....their instead of there...forgot to mention Miranda in the list of new MH riders...yada yada. Oh well, it's Monday.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

! Nice job, Danny! Hmmmm...now where can I find a dirtbike to race...lol!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Danny, one of my customers at work, Ray Parrish, is racing D class on a CRF 230 and I am supposed to come out to the next race with him. I am thinking to go with my son and just take out our trusty little CRF150F's and see what it's all about. Sounds like fun. Congrats on the 1st place.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
! Nice job, Danny! Hmmmm...now where can I find a dirtbike to race...lol!
Thanks dude. I saw an 08 KTM with a for sale sign out there this weekend. but seriously, deals are to be had everywhere...get something and come race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Danny, one of my customers at work, Ray Parrish, is racing D class on a CRF 230 and I am supposed to come out to the next race with him. I am thinking to go with my son and just take out our trusty little CRF150F's and see what it's all about. Sounds like fun. Congrats on the 1st place.
CRF150 would be just fine. I think he may have camped/pitted right next to me (was he in a black/green Mosquito trailer?) this weekend. In fact, he (or someone in his crew) loaned me some toilet paper for my pre race...... and thanks!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
lostner

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx

Congrats on the "W". I'll definitely be out at the next one. If I can only make 10 or 12 less major mistakes...
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I used to take my MX prepped Predator 500 out to shiloh ridge as often as i could, it's definitely my favorite "local" place to ride. It looks as if you guys climbed the right side of helicopter hill, was there a single track laid out for the race or were there 4 pre-existing options to the top? The high banked S turns are awesome too, they must go on for several hundred yards. . .nice little jumps out of them too. Have you been to barnwell mountain yet? does this series run barnwell mountain? I raced my first woods race in the ATV C class of the GNCC race there in 2007, that experience took me away from the high flying mx track and had me addicted to the woods!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Bike(s):
05 Buell XB12R, 07 KLR650

Congrats on the win Danny, I'm jealous - havn't been on a dirtbike all summer. I always look forward to your race reports. Dr Gonzo, PM firemalt, he had a sweet 250xcw-f for sale.
TxSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
I used to take my MX prepped Predator 500 out to shiloh ridge as often as i could, it's definitely my favorite "local" place to ride. It looks as if you guys climbed the right side of helicopter hill, was there a single track laid out for the race or were there 4 pre-existing options to the top? The high banked S turns are awesome too, they must go on for several hundred yards. . .nice little jumps out of them too. Have you been to barnwell mountain yet? does this series run barnwell mountain? I raced my first woods race in the ATV C class of the GNCC race there in 2007, that experience took me away from the high flying mx track and had me addicted to the woods!
The hard and easy hill "climb" was off to the right of helicopter hill....the "hard" down was helicopter hill I think. Never heard of Barnyard Mtn. Where is it? I know Otis is trying to keep these races within 3 hours of Houston for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSandman View Post
Congrats on the win Danny, I'm jealous - havn't been on a dirtbike all summer. I always look forward to your race reports. Dr Gonzo, PM firemalt, he had a sweet 250xcw-f for sale.
change that up Clark...next race is in two weeks. As for Firemalt's bike...it has been sold.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostner View Post
Congrats on the "W". I'll definitely be out at the next one. If I can only make 10 or 12 less major mistakes...
Nice meeting you dude....see ya in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Wow I feel like I got beaten with a tree limb for two hours! I am really glad I didn't puss out, I was having second thoughts about making this race. After 9 hours of work, 1.5 hours of loading stuff, and 5.5 hours of driving, I was definitely ready for a few hours of sleep before the race!

So Navajib, MagicMan, and I roll up at 8:02 AM for the 8:00 riders meeting. Otis was nice enough to give me the run-down on what to expect out there, and finishes up with "if you have time, go run the first 3 or 4 miles to get an idea of what you're in for". I get myself ready and go out for a 'quick' 3-4 mile sighting lap, which ended up turning into a 5-6 mile "oh i'm gonna miss the start of the race" panic run! Eventually I found a hole in the woods, and found my way back to the starting grid, where everyone is already gridded and ready to run.

Of course, being my first race and never spectating one before, I didn't really have a clue what to expect. The green flag drops and the bike starts on the first kick, then I stall it off the line. I was 2nd to last leaving the gate, about 15 seconds behind the pack, Dammit! The rest of the race went pretty well, I took the first hard downhill choice, then the 2nd easy uphill (which was a dumb choice), and saw a guy completely loop his bike (full 360-degrees!) and several others that had fallen and were sliding down the hill. I must have passed a good 8-10 riders right there!

I had a couple crashes along the way, and they were all because I was not looking far enough ahead, or because I didn't know what to expect around the next corner. Lesson learned though, practice makes perfect.. So I finished the first lap thinking I didn't make the 1-hour cutoff, but the lady by the computer said GO! and I went.. The second lap of course was smoother because I had a few reference points, and some heads-up on the more challenging parts. At the end of the 2nd lap, Danny was there cheering my through the finish line (thanks!). I felt like I rode at a good clip, and was very glad that I didn't have to do another lap!

The timing crew was having some issues, and Danny originally told me that I came in 3rd, and I was amazed.. Later, I found out it was actually 7th but either way, I had an AWESOME time, I didn't get hurt as bad as some (Chad!), I didn't do any superman's over the bars (Lee!), and didn't loop my bike going up the hillclimb. The CRF got a few scars, and almost broke a couple spokes on the front wheel, but otherwise unharmed. Anybody that has thought about giving it a try should definitely do it. Don't puss out like I almost did
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Oh yeah and Chad (themagicman) had a helmet cam, so there should be some cool video clips coming..
Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I would love to see race footage from the helmet cam if anyone has any. . .from the few pics I saw it looked as if it hadn't rained too much, that red clay is slick as snot when it gets water logged!!! I last rode shilow ridge on my 134cc bbk equipped KLX110, I miss that bike and that place!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

I can't let Dbuck have all the fun!

RavineFeetUpHarescramble vi
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Otis

Thumbs up

It makes me feel really great to see all yall out there having a good time and enjoying the racing. Shiloh is fast becoming a favorite.

Someone ask chad or Miranda about their night rescue!

I am always looking for new property and I have checked into BWM b4 but it was unavailable. If anyone ever hears of some place or knows of someone with land just let me know and I will check into it.

Next race in 2 weeks.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Someone ask chad or Miranda about their night rescue!
I believe that story is best left for one of them to tell!

Thanks for the help and encouragement, Otis! I'll be back for sure.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Soooo. . .

Maybe we were lost in the woods. Maybe we weren't.
Maybe it was too dark to find our way out. Maybe it wasn't.
Maybe they had a search party. Maybe they didn't.

What happens in the woods, stays in the woods!

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
lostner

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx

If Chad falls over in the dark forest, and no one is there to see, is it still funny?
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement