MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

I'm mad as ...

...and I'm not going to take it any more! Warning: I'm going to rant.

Another post reminded me of my biggest pet peeve on the road: People in the left lane of multi-lane roadways that have no traffic in front, and a line of cars in back as they maintain the same speed as a car in the lane to their right. These people are ignorant of the law!

The typical scenario: You flash your lights and they gesture sanctimoniously like "I won't let you pass because you want to speed and it's MY lane and I'll do whatever I want!" (Never mind they are speeding.)

If you don't like it, then help spread the word about the law ž545.051 (Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.):
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions* shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
This means: If there are vehicles moving at a higher rate of speed anywhere in their vicinity behind them, they are compelled by the law to move to a lane to their right unless they are actively passing (and once they have passed they should move over to let other cars pass them if they display intent to do so). There is good reason for this law:
(1) If you've seen how traffic moves in countries that enforce this (e.g., Germany), you know it flows traffic much better than "every person for them selves."**)
(2) This provides for legitimate emergency situations for everyone
*Note that the law is based on vehicle speeds, not speed limits.
**If there is a mass of traffic there's no easy solution, but in regular traffic, this method staves off the jam in the first place.
+Travis+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh he mad Bevo Off Topic 1 10-24-2014 09:01 PM
Don't be mad at the white people, be mad at the right people! RACER X The Circus 8 12-25-2013 10:21 AM
mad skillz! RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-06-2006 07:44 PM
This is about as mad as I've ever been... Steve O Chap Off Topic 56 05-26-2006 09:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
timistim
Server Admínístrator

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White

Member Garage

That me off too. I would love this law to go in effect right now.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

Meh, I am always on my bike. (Only Transportation)

So I just zip by them anyways. Or I squeeze in between the 2 cars if I get really impatient.
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by timistim View Post
That me off too. I would love this law to go in effect right now.
It IS in effect! Cops tell me it isn't enforced in many areas because funds were never allocated to put up signage.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ninja View Post
Meh, I am always on my bike. (Only Transportation)

So I just zip by them anyways. Or I squeeze in between the 2 cars if I get really impatient.
This makes it less likely that you'd get "impatient" in the first place. And it would save you from eating cigarette butts.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

My biggest in Houston was drivers who skipped past a mile of standing traffic in an exit lane so they could cut in at the front of the line. I made it a job to block em.

Out here, it's deer. Lol

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

if i'm speeding.....i try not to have anyone around me be part of it, in this case get mad because they are going slower then i am....BUT....... if im going with everyone else flow and i run into this slow on the far left lane then i get sooooooo that i would cut them with not turn signal and give them the signal to move their slow over... most of them are people on their phone or OLD, and if they are old then i just cool off and move alone!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
My biggest in Houston was drivers who skipped past a mile of standing traffic in an exit lane so they could cut in at the front of the line. I made it a job to block em.

Out here, it's deer. Lol
I don't even take the South 610 Eastbound to I-45 Southbound anymore because of this

But I can't quit you, TWS (Texas World Speedway)!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

one of my many driving pet peeves too..

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

old people are the only people that i let drive slow and get on my way but everyone else not paying attention on the road and wait till the last minute to change lane because the are about to miss their exit or dont wanna exit......F*CK THEM!!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #11
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I experienced this same BS recently on 146. Two idiots running side by side for miles. I finally got a little bit of room and floored it. Just as I made the pass I saw a TC cop on the side of the road behind some trees. He got me. The worst part is knowing the 2 were thinking I was an idiot.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #12
cwest22

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
92 cbr f2 fighter (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I experienced this same BS recently on 146. Two idiots running side by side for miles. I finally got a little bit of room and floored it. Just as I made the pass I saw a TC cop on the side of the road behind some trees. He got me. The worst part is knowing the 2 were thinking I was an idiot.
right by the lowes right? they got me once.
cwest22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #13
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Man, that right there sucks! Sometimes there is no justice in this world!

But I can tell a story where there was justice...

Coming back from San Antonio on I-10 I came up behind some guys, about 8 or 9, all in the same kind of exotic sports cars (not sure what they were, never seen 'em before). They all had little antennas on the roof.
When I tried to pass them they would let me get about halfway past their line and then one would change lanes in front of me and slow down. The cars I had just passed would then re-pass me and I would be at the back of the line again.
Pretty quickly I realized they were talking to each other and doing it on purpose, just to with me. After several attempts, I finally got past them but it wasn't easy.
I went on my way, , but with no real ugliness. I got about 1/4 mile ahead of them when I saw a huge cloud of smoke in my rearview. Since this was all happening about 90mph I thought one of them crashed, so I took the next exit and went back.
It turned out one of them had blown a radiator hose and they were all standing on the side of the road trying to figure out what to do because we were miles from a town.
After I made sure everyone was OK and in spite of there being a small crowd of them, I started chewing them out for with me. I know it was stupid but what can I say. The amazing thing was they apologized and asked if I would help them.
As I was getting back in the truck I said, "What goes around comes around, , have fun waiting on a tow truck" and then drove off laughing at them.
I wonder where you get radiator hoses for exotic foreign cars an a Sunday out past Flatonia...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

Coming back from San Antonio on I-10 I came up behind some guys, about 8 or 9, all in the same kind of exotic sports cars (not sure what they were, never seen 'em before). They all had little antennas on the roof.
When I tried to pass them they would let me get about halfway past their line and then one would change lanes in front of me and slow down. The cars I had just passed would then re-pass me and I would be at the back of the line again.
Pretty quickly I realized they were talking to each other and doing it on purpose, just to with me. After several attempts, I finally got past them but it wasn't easy.
I went on my way, , but with no real ugliness. I got about 1/4 mile ahead of them when I saw a huge cloud of smoke in my rearview. Since this was all happening about 90mph I thought one of them crashed, so I took the next exit and went back.
It turned out one of them had blown a radiator hose and they were all standing on the side of the road trying to figure out what to do because we were miles from a town.
After I made sure everyone was OK and in spite of there being a small crowd of them, I started chewing them out for with me. I know it was stupid but what can I say. The amazing thing was they apologized and asked if I would help them.
As I was getting back in the truck I said, "What goes around comes around, , have fun waiting on a tow truck" and then drove off laughing at them.
I wonder where you get radiator hoses for exotic foreign cars an a Sunday out past Flatonia

lol

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

That read slower not same speed or not able to pass timely.
I think somewhere it does read left lane for passing only.
As I recall long ago perhaps 30-35 years you were not to pass on the right (I wasn't in TX then so don't know)

I admit this really bothers me to and in the cage I just wait it out maybe 10 minutes and it clears up.

On bikes or at least quicker bikes than I now have I've gotten stuiped.

Used the left shoulder to pass.
or
Used the next clear merge on lane for traffic entering to pass the car on the right
or
Split the the lane.

Stuipd yes and later I think about my foolish move due to lack of patience or simple frustation over a idiot.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwest22 View Post
right by the lowes right? they got me once.
No. It was South of Dickenson Bayou. I was stuck behind these tards from Texas to the bridge. They were doing 40. I usually run 75 ish there.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Motorcycles are for Lane Splitting. I did it twice yesterday. With the driver has his window down, I rev the out of the bike to scare the out of them. Nice attention getter and it makes me smile.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Dude...what the is going on today in Houston? Lots of people on the road, many from Mexico and out of state...is there a convention or something in town? People were driving slower than the speed limit throughout I-45 and 59 Southbound and it wasnt because of the rain Do these people realize how dangerous they are making it for everyone behind them? Thank goodness I was in a car today because if I were on a bike, I'd be fked.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

I wonder where you get radiator hoses for exotic foreign cars an a Sunday out past Flatonia...
Great story! I've seen hog clubs do this, but never a car club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
Motorcycles are for Lane Splitting. I did it twice yesterday. With the driver has his window down, I rev the out of the bike to scare the out of them. Nice attention getter and it makes me smile.
Stop that.

Advertisement