MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Nice save Ormand.
Good deal with all the gear, you've been doing right from day one.

, stop and think about it... this coulda been a RIP thread. I'm glad you're Ok and still alive dude.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SERIOUS close call tripspeed General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 09-13-2014 03:16 PM
Close call pester Off Topic 8 05-29-2014 11:03 AM
Close call Jay Stunters Lounge 9 07-09-2007 10:20 AM
Close Call therky42 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 11-06-2006 05:29 PM
Close Call 1FastMF General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-27-2006 01:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #22
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

not very wise to practice any new techniques on I10 full of traffic and construction.....
i am glad you didn't hurt yourself or others in the process.... next time you might wanna try some of the backroads with less traffic and practice on your new techniques lol
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Its counter-intuitive and goes against your gut instinct, but don't clutch in or roll off. Sometimes you just have to put a little more muscle into it and force it not to run wide. It feels weird at first, but it will come second nature after a while. I have noticed when I am running wide under acceleration it is because I am riding lazily or it is tire pressure. Glad you are still with us
Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #24
maxgs

Member Garage

Dave Wonders, the owner of RideSmart, talks passionately about the motivation for his track day company.... saving lives. It's a great place to learn more about controlling these beasts we ride. It's money and time well spent.

Happy to hear you are ok.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
not very wise to practice any new techniques on I10 full of traffic and construction.....
i am glad you didn't hurt yourself or others in the process.... next time you might wanna try some of the backroads with less traffic and practice on your new techniques lol
Sigh.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #26
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
Did I enter the turn too fast?
Yep
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #27
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
that food looks like it would make you like a goose...
probably same texture coming out as it went in.
glad yer' ok my brother from a different mother.
The aftermath of Malaysian Curry is never a pleasant one but it's totally worthwhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Definitely nice save.

I might have not put the bike straight up though. Best grip theoretically is the side of the tires... hopefully it would have gripped or you would have lowsided. IMO lowsiding would have been the option if you weren't able to do what you did.

But I'm no expert. I have felt the bike slip while leaned and regained traction.
You are correct that a leaned tire provides the most traction and support but the issue was that I wasn't in contact with road...I was hopping on slippery shoulder pucks which would reaim my rear everytime I bounced up. Continuing to lean while on that kind of a surface would have led to a highside, perhaps even over the railing! The best thing to do in that situation is what I did IMO...roll off the throttle gentle and try to best reaim the bike out of that unfavorable road condition. Better yet, the best solution is to not place yourself in that situation to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ninja View Post
A few weeks ago I entered a corner that I am familiar with to go onto the freeway and took it too hot and ran wide and almost hit the guard rail. I seriously gasped out loud in my helmet.

I eased off the gas and kept leaning and luckily I was spared from going down.
Sounds *exactly* like what happened to me. Be careful out there guys and gals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Nice save Ormand.
Good deal with all the gear, you've been doing right from day one.

, stop and think about it... this coulda been a RIP thread. I'm glad you're Ok and still alive dude.
Thanks but had I ran off over the overpass, no amount of gear would have saved me. Food for thought...maybe they should start installing parachutes into race humps :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Well as I said there was nobody on this 1/4 mile of exit ramp infront or behind me. Backroads are far more dangerous imo because of residents, blind corners, oncoming traffic, speeds, etc. And as I said, it was a dumb thing to do. But no dumber than running on RR time and time again where residents and cops clearly don't want you around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
Its counter-intuitive and goes against your gut instinct, but don't clutch in or roll off. Sometimes you just have to put a little more muscle into it and force it not to run wide. It feels weird at first, but it will come second nature after a while. I have noticed when I am running wide under acceleration it is because I am riding lazily or it is tire pressure. Glad you are still with us
Good advice - thanks! My first mistake was not braking hard enough prior to entering the turn which spiraled into the events that could have caused an accident (raising the bike, running wide, etc.). I probably wasn't concentrating enough or was plain lazy/tired to analyze and execute my manuver...but I think something spooked me (slipping on oil or losing tire grip). It's not too often I screw up a corner that badly...I wish I had a camera so I could review and disect exactly what had happened. Whenever I go for a ride again, I will retake that ramp slowly to see if I could recall what had happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Dave Wonders, the owner of RideSmart, talks passionately about the motivation for his track day company.... saving lives. It's a great place to learn more about controlling these beasts we ride. It's money and time well spent.

Happy to hear you are ok.
Thanks Curt I wish there were more offerings for trackdays (weekdays, even nights) where more of us could come out to play more frequently. I am looking forward to doing it once my work schedule stabalizes itself.

Here's a picture of where the incident took place...

6t3bbo

#1 - This is where something happened that caused the error to snowball. Either I didn't brake hard enough and/or was entering too fast, or something caused me to slip slightly which made me panic

#2 - This where where I ended up impacting with the shoulder/barrier with my foot and knee puck. Remeniscing on it, I actually just used my knee to push myself off the barrier...my foot was still on the pegs, so that shows how close and hard I collided with the barrier.

Between 1 and 2 is where I ran wide and was bouncing off the pucks on the shoulder where I had to stand up the bike or risk loosing more traction. And that's where I also looked over the overpass...looks like I would have either landed on another overpass or grass...there wasn't any water. Scary stuff! Realize I was on a bike and the shoulder was about the height of my waist, so I could clearly see over the barrier and really risked going over.

Last edited by ormand; 09-19-2010 at 04:34 PM.
ormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #28
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

thats a decreasing radius turn. Not an extreme one but def decreasing radius. Looks like you just scared yourself because you did not setup right. Listen to maxgs. Go to the track, learn and execute high performance manuevers. Eventually, you will even learn how to ride when you bike "loses grip", runs wide, rear tire is dancing around, and other unusual movements that will scare you at first.
I知 really happy for you and I知 going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #29
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
now after all that, go change your underwear...
Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #30
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

good that your ok
Old 09-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #31
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
thats a decreasing radius turn. Not an extreme one but def decreasing radius. Looks like you just scared yourself because you did not setup right. Listen to maxgs. Go to the track, learn and execute high performance manuevers. Eventually, you will even learn how to ride when you bike "loses grip", runs wide, rear tire is dancing around, and other unusual movements that will scare you at first.
I don't know if I would call it a decreasing radius turn...

xer21i

With the exception of one bump when entering the exit from I-10 (which was actually repaired recently) and 1 minor bump prior to entering the turn, the exit is a very clean, smooth curve. The civil engineers who handle such projects avoid decreasing radius turns on public roads because the common person doesn't know how to interpret and manuever it.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #32
maxgs

Member Garage

Ha ha ha ha. Smart people rule. Well done, Ormand.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #33
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

look at the exit of the ramp. it decreases and it is blind as well.
I知 really happy for you and I知 going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #34
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha. Smart people rule. Well done, Ormand.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #35
maxgs

Member Garage

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=decreasing+radius+turn
Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #36
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
looks like the same kind of turn as the I45S exit

decreasing radius turn
Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #37
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

Whew glad your ok. It dont look like no soft landing down there.
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #38
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
looks like the same kind of turn as the I45S exit

decreasing radius turn
The entrance to the ramp is on the left, not the right. It's decreasing radius
Old 09-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #39
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

oh well, i guess im wrong. either esy ormsnd scared himself and ran wide. he can fix that by going to the track
Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #40
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

. (Just saw the picture)

I don't mess around on overpasses like that. I am afraid of running wide, flipping off and dying.
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement