MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #21
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Dropping the kick stand in the box usually does it for me. It breaks the magnetic signal or something like that. Works!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the reds are coming the reds are coming Homebrew Off Topic 67 10-04-2010 09:00 AM
Pics from the Astros slaughter last night by the Reds hotnanas Sports 2 11-23-2009 10:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #22
yeraboof
( . v . )

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
by the way... Good luck with your case!, take a video with a camera and take it to court.
Just got back from collecting evidence. I got about 12 minutes of me just sitting there watching all the lights turn green, yellow, red, green, yellow, red, green.... except for my left green arrow.

I finally got the green when some Tahoe pulled up behind me. I kept getting shots of my mirror to show that it is just me in the turning lane. Got video of the Tahoe rolling up behind me and the light turning green shortly thereafter.

I'm just not sure how to show a vid in court...

And I'll hafta try that magnet thing in the future... or at least dropping the kickstand.
yeraboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #23
yz117

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ6
92 z50 (Stunt it?)
03 Yz125
00 Yz125

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
Some states have laws on the books that state if the light does not properly detect you that you should treat it as a stop sign. I also read somewhere that there may be laws on the books stating the sensors should be able to detect a motorcycle...not sure if that is true though.

i believe they are working on a law for that
i have run into that problem many times

" To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid "
yz117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #24
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years

I ran a red tonight, cause i am badasslike that
Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #25
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

EDIT: missed where you said you already got the evidence
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #26
ArtistMarty

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #27
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

oh and this

Sec. 544.0055. TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNAL PREEMPTION DEVICE; OFFENSE.
(a) In this section, "traffic-control signal preemption device" means a device designed, intended, or used to interfere with or alter the operation of a traffic-control signal.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (e), a person commits an offense if the person uses, sells, offers for sale, purchases, or possesses for use or sale a traffic-control signal preemption device.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #28
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
I don't think this is possible as there are laws against changing lanes within a certain distance of a signal light.
zing! excellent point

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #29
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
I ran a red tonight, cause i am badasslike that
I did too, on hwy 6 in alvin it wasnt going to give me a green for nothing!

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #30
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Where's Wackjum when ya need him? lol
The way I understand it, once you are in the left turn lane you are committed. There is no legal way out unless the light turns green. U-turns at light controlled intersections, going straight from the turn lane or moving over to the right then going straight are all illegal.
The earlier reference that suggested you should move right and go through the intersection is from a FAQ and I wouldn't think it would carry much weight in court.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 09-18-2010 at 08:17 AM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #31
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

I run them all the time or even worse, when I am all by myself at 5 in the morning
going to work and I get caught at a stupid light cycling. I just make a right turn,
U turn then another right turn...

I am also real bad about cutting through parking lots during rush hour.
I know it's illeagal but I have also been told to go to court, explain you were
looking at what ever, (gas price, store window for sale, if a certain person was at
work) something that would give you a reason for being in that parking lot
then you are not cutting a light.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #32
yeraboof
( . v . )

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
If you have video demonstrating the FAILURE of the light to detect a motorcycle......... thats great
also call 311 and report it, they can repair/service the light.
I do have vid now, and I think I will report it now. Should help me if they actually fix it and I can get documentation of said repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
I don't think this is possible as there are laws against changing lanes within a certain distance of a signal light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
The way I understand it, once you are in the left turn lane you are committed. There is no legal way out unless the light turns green. U-turns at light controlled intersections, going straight from the turn lane or moving over to the right then going straight are all illegal.
Hmmm... good point guys... I didn't even think of that. So basically, in that situation, I'm trapped. I'm in a state of "arrest" if you will. lol

I did explain the situation to the cop and asked him what am I supposed to do in that situation. It happens almost everyday for me. He said to just go straight... WTF?
Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #33
wackjum
Attorney at law

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
No bikes right now. :(

This is a hole in Texas law and there is zero case law that I can find on the matter. The reason why is two fold. Firstly, because it is a new law. Secondly, because case law can only be made by appellate courts. Somebody with a traffic matter ends up in JP or Municipal court. Then it gets appealed to county court. Then it would get appealed to one of the appellate courts. Understandably, few people have the money, time, and patience to appeal a traffic matter this high.

Most of the times, case law on point with traffic matters gets up there because the traffic violation was the underlying probable cause that led the officers to arresting the defendant for bigger stuff (like drugs).

Ok so here is the part where I am not giving legal advice you should rely on because the law is unclear.

**MY** interpretation, which has zero precedent in case law, is that a light that is not able to register a motorcycle is illegal and therefore cannot support a conviction for running it. The light is not malfunctioning however, so you cannot treat it as a stop sign because other cars would not treat it as a stop sign either. I think if it can be shown that it was not safe to change lanes and go straight or make a right turn, and the turn on red was made safely, there should not be a conviction.

In other news, the light at the entrance of my neighborhood does not register motorcycles. It's a fairly busy intersection so most of the times a car saves me. But I've run it a few times when it was late at night or the car behind me won't scoot up. If I were to get caught, I would plan on defending myself the same way.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #34
yeraboof
( . v . )

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjum View Post
**MY** interpretation, which has zero precedent in case law, is that a light that is not able to register a motorcycle is illegal and therefore cannot support a conviction for running it. The light is not malfunctioning however, so you cannot treat it as a stop sign because other cars would not treat it as a stop sign either. I think if it can be shown that it was not safe to change lanes and go straight or make a right turn, and the turn on red was made safely, there should not be a conviction.
Thank you for your input wackjum, I really appreciate it. I was pretty much thinking along these lines already. But like mentioned earlier, if I'm already in the turn lane, isn't it also illegal to go straight from the turn lane? And as far as safely turning left, I have a clear line of sight of the oncoming traffic. Turn was 100% safe... the light just happened to be red.

I have video of the light not registering me, but do I have to share this with the prosecution? And how would I show a video in court? Do I just take a laptop, or a tv?

Thanks again for looking into this!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #35
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

If the light will not register for me, I take a right, make a U turn, and take another right. I know which lights around me do not register me, so I just automatically do it now. For the most part, it is actually faster than if the light even did register me...

The problem is if you are attempting to take a LEFT turn via a light. I have run those a few times.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #36
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeraboof View Post
Thank you for your input wackjum, I really appreciate it. I was pretty much thinking along these lines already. But like mentioned earlier, if I'm already in the turn lane, isn't it also illegal to go straight from the turn lane? And as far as safely turning left, I have a clear line of sight of the oncoming traffic. Turn was 100% safe... the light just happened to be red.

I have video of the light not registering me, but do I have to share this with the prosecution? And how would I show a video in court? Do I just take a laptop, or a tv?

i would take the camera that you took the video with!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #37
Soclose
Green and Mean

Bike(s):
'05 Suzuki GS500F(sold)
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary

i normally run the light at telgy and 2920 at night time... stupid light on telgy takes forever to turn green so you can get on 2920...
Old 09-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #38
wackjum
Attorney at law

Bike(s):
No bikes right now. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeraboof View Post

If you asked for a bench trial, just tell the judge you have a video you want to show and be sure to bring some kind of equipment that can play it. Doesn't have to be fancy as only the judge needs to see it.

If you asked for a jury trial, you probably should hire an attorney. You will need to know the rules of evidence and lay the proper predicate to bring it in.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #39
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

i dont think ive ever been stuck at a light on the bike because of the sensor not working
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #40
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjum View Post
The light is not malfunctioning however, so you cannot treat it as a stop sign because other cars would not treat it as a stop sign either...........................
Huh? (I disagree)

it is NOT working............... as required by Law, if it will NOT detect a motorcycle! and should be reported to 311,
and IMO should be treated as a stop, but I also suggested to go straight as the safer alternative rather than taking a left.
which........ could have been the opinion of the officer too?

if you have evidence showing that the light is NOT working, the ticket will be dismissed in "two" seconds!
.................................................. ...............

I always go for jury trail too, much more fun

Advertisement