Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
Mechanical Lien?

I already have the other information needed to fix the problem I have with my car title. I tried going through D&D and they took way to much time and lost my paperwork 2 times. So I know they are not the only company in Houston that does mechanical leins. I have read this is the cheapest option compared to a bonded title which I was quoted 1000 dollars on a 4000 dollar civic. So thats not going to happen. Please any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it legal to sell a motorcycle that a lien on? bcompton General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 01-06-2014 11:41 AM
Buying a bike with a lien from HSBC exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 01-13-2012 06:59 PM
Buying a Bike that Still has a Note/Lien AndreaJ200 General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 01-07-2010 09:58 AM
Lien on an Abandoned Trailer? DvlRacer Off Topic 4 11-15-2009 06:55 PM
Need Help With Lien Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 08-01-2008 01:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

That sucks. Was it D&D in La Porte. They did me right and did it quick. It takes a month anyway.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

with them it was an ongoing think for a year... Just didnt leave a good taste in my mouth
Old 09-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
I already have the other information needed to fix the problem I have with my car title. I tried going through D&D and they took way to much time and lost my paperwork 2 times. So I know they are not the only company in Houston that does mechanical leins. I have read this is the cheapest option compared to a bonded title which I was quoted 1000 dollars on a 4000 dollar civic. So thats not going to happen. Please any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
your quote on the bonded title seems way high...what year civic is it?

the bond should be for 1.5 times the NADA value of the vehicle....

the surety bond that you purchase generally are about $15 for each $1000 of the bond value.

so assuming civic's NADA value is $10,000, a bond for $15,000 is required, and the bond company would sell you the bond for about $225. Then you will have to pay taxes to the DMV, and I think that was all that was involved....1/2 day process if paperwork is almost filled out correctly.

the rate for the bond may vary...my insurance company was about $20/$1000.

Last edited by hotnanas; 09-14-2010 at 04:16 PM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

I just got a quote on a bonded title for 650 dollar.. the civic is a 2002 coupe.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Do U have all the stuff needed? there are new laws that went into effect 9\09, not just anybody can do leins, they are a pita and if U dont have all your ducks in a row U can get sued
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Yeah i just contacted a couple of placed.. It seems mechanical liens since they were shady to begin with they are trying to outlaw those. I am not to familiar with a surety bond though.. It looks like a mechanical lien is pretty far fetched at this point
Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
I just got a quote on a bonded title for 650 dollar.. the civic is a 2002 coupe.
from a title company? i'd skip the middle man if that's the case.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

yeah from a company i figure all they are doing is going to the court house.. but the 600 dollar includes plates and registration... So the actual cost would hover around 2-300 bucks for that so they are making 200 to 300 for leg work and paperwork
Old 09-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

or you could do what I said before and use the services of a company in arizon, nevada, and maine.
do a google, there are lost title comapnies, if its not stolen, its very simple to get a title and a years registration.
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/
http://www.getnewtitle.com/ my buddy used this company and was very happy.
http://www.its-titles.com/ these guys are cheaper and the same thing.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

thanks tim im calling all those guys as we speak
Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

ttt bonded titles
Old 09-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Don't use a title company to get your bonded title, do it yourself. If you don't know how I can walk you through it although it's been years since I've done it.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

hey Keith just let me know how to do it if you know how. I am really interested in doing it. Plus I need your help hunting me down a tactical 22 : )
Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Step 1: stop bashing MH on "other" forums

The rest I have quoted from my "Bike Buying/Selling Info" thread located here:
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107725

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Getting a Bonded Title

Step 1: Determine your eligibility

In order to qualify, you must be a Texas resident or military personnel stationed in Texas; or have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas. The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or frame and motor if a motorcycle.

To determine your eligibility for the bonded title procedure and the value of the bond, take or mail the following documents to your Vehicle Titles and Registration (VTR) Division Regional Office:

1.) A Statement of Fact for Bonded Title (VTR-130-SOF),
2.) A Statement of Physical Inspection (VTR-270)
3.) Any supporting evidence of ownership (Bill of Sale, Invoice, Cancelled Check, etc.)
4.) A photocopy of your driver’s license if requesting Texas motor vehicle information

If your documents are approved, the amount of the bond equal to 1Ĺ times the value of the vehicle will be determined by the Regional Office using a national reference guide. If you disagree with the amount you may furnish an appraisal by a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance appraiser. Once the value of the vehicle is determined the VTR Regional Office will give you a letter within 24 hours showing the amount the bond needs to be purchased in.

Step 2: Purchase a surety bond

Take the letter and other documents given to you by the VTR Regional Office to an auto insurance agency or any agency that sells vehicle Surety Bonds.

You have one year from the date of the letter to purchase a Surety Bond in the amount shown on the letter, otherwise a new letter and bond would be required.

Step 3: Apply for a bonded title

Within 30 days from purchasing the surety bond, take the original letter given to you by the Regional Office and the documents listed above, to your county tax office, in addition to:

a completed Form VTR 130-U
proof of insurance.
If the vehicle is from out of state, you will also need to provide a Vehicle Identification Certificate (Form VI-30), completed by a Safety Inspection Station. If the vehicle is from out of country, you will need a Customs Document (HS 7). If the vehicle is a truck or commercial vehicle you may also need a weight certificate.
I used USAA for my first bonded title(I think) and did the entire process in one business day, the hardest part is having to go to the downtown location, but they are actually very helpful for being a DMV/Tax Office.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

PS: All that bs above makes it sound a lot harder than it actually is
Old 09-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Keith, you happen to remember cost involved?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Canuck View Post
Keith, you happen to remember cost involved?
Mine was fairly inexpensive as the bond was for a 2000 Honda Shadow 600. I think I only paid about $100 over what it would have cost me had I not needed to go the bonded title route. I recovered any expenses from the seller though, so essentially it only cost me time. If you do it all in person(and I highly suggest you do) it really isn't that bad, just try and get all your ducks in a row before making a trip to the regional office.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

the problem is the last titled state was colorado...
Old 09-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

The houston regional office is located at:

7721 Washington Ave HOUSTON, TX 77007

Advertisement