MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Lightbulb Street Etiquette...Thoughts From An Oldtimer

With several decades of riding under my belt, from dirt, to street, to closed courses, there are several lessons I've learned that have kept me safe, sound, in one piece, and added some wisdom to my riding.

Every few years, a new crop of riders come along and dare to go where no one else has gone before. The only problem is, us oldtimers have already got the t-shirt and coffee mug. We've already learned that we are not bullet proof, and stupid really does hurt. If you're lucky, it will only hurt you. Unfortunately, it generally tends to hurt the innocent too.

Let's take for example the recent happenings on "Racer Road", Crabb River Road, and the forest. Police have stepped up patrols because of the residential complaints, constant buzzing of bikes, the alarming growth of accidents, and the rising death rate.

Trading thrills for lives on a public street is never a wise decision. You'll always end up the loser. So many recent threads have been made filled with banter by the opposing sides about impending dangers from thrill riding. I'm not implying that I am innocent of riding not only above my head, but also riding dangerously and irresponsibly. The point is, I learned. I listened to the older, and wiser riders. It took a while, but it finally sank in. I hope this post will inspire you to throttle back a bit when on the street.

80% Rule: Always leave yourself an out. Never ride to your limit, or above it while on the street. By having that cushion, you have plenty of time to scoot out of a situation, and will most always have a large braking zone. Save the other 20% for a closed course, where there is plenty of runoff and medics are on site to help in case of a mishap.

Mind The Gap
: Always leave plenty of room in front of, behind, and beside you to escape the inevitable. When those gaps become too small, adjust your position to open them back up.

Ride Through Traffic: I'm not suggesting that you ride it like you stole it, but by going a few mph faster than traffic, you won't be stuck between hazards for any length of time.

Be Seen: I've never understood why bikers wear black. Especially at night! I've heard so many cagers say "I never saw him." Don't be that guy. Wear bright colors. It will catch a drivers eye much faster than dull, drab colors. Use your high beams during daylight hours. It will get you noticed!

Be Respectful: Ride respectfully when in populated areas. Insane noise levels get old real quick. As does guys racing through your neighborhood. Save the hotrodding for the appropriate areas. Respect the communtity, and you'll be welcomed back. Show no regard for anyone or anything, and you'll wear your welcome out real quick. Organize a group and make improvements in the community where your favorite roads are. Make friends there, and you'll get rewarded in the long run. Buzzing the same road several times in a matter of minutes will draw very unwanted attention to you, and the rest of the rest of your two wheeled brethern.

Leave your Ego At Home: It has no place on the streets. Don't ride outside your limits. Don't be pressured to go faster or harder. Have a preset plan before you leave home. If your buddy wants to haul , let him go. You'll be certain to make it to your destination in one piece, will he?

Have A Plan
: Know your route, who you're riding with, and emergency contact numbers before you leave.

I'm sure you can add your own suggestions to this, but these are a few things that will keep you on two wheels for a long time to come.

I'm going to add some links to give you something to chew on before your next ride. Perhaps you'll think twice before twisting the wrist. Take it from those that have learned the hard way.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ghlight=kokesh

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...+memorializing

Ride Safe!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crashing at the Track Etiquette Jclark Taking it to the Track 60 04-29-2015 09:05 AM
Street Riding etiquette nilnwahs General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-07-2013 11:12 AM
Social Etiquette Grinchy Off Topic 54 04-03-2009 05:22 PM
Track Etiquette [poser] Taking it to the Track 49 06-21-2008 04:29 PM
Highway Etiquette cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-06-2008 09:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

Good post.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

thanks for the refresher! good read
Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

another 05er with a great post.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

words to live by
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

Nice post

Similar to you with seat time. ( daily commuting for 20+ years) and prior to that always been on dirtbikes and such.

One thing that many riders forget (myself INCLUDED) is that a lot of this experience can, and does lead to complacency. Us "old farts" who have "been there-done that", seen the same ....expect the same results. Too bad it doesnt work that way. The end result is that we up, because we thought we had seen it all. Failing to remember that EVERY situation is different, (overall picture is similar) but nothing is exactly the same. Ever. Lol, yes I have had my share of extreme stupidty/learning curve on the roads. Being a late bloomer, I had been hammered down more than I should have, before I said "ok i get it! I guess i am not as much of the exception to the rule, as I thought I was" :P

but I personally dont believe in the "80 percent rule". for several reasons. (not the "rule" itself, just the number.) I think 80 percent is too high. And I also think that the average (under 5) year street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider, for the knowledge they have acquired, in the short time they have been riding.

majority of us are not the exception to the rule. (we think we are, but we are not) straight up. and the ones that are, typically dont show it, or dont know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it.

remember, "you" are not that great, or wheaties boxes would have your face adorning em, and you would be a household name.

Last edited by GAU-8; 09-14-2010 at 12:45 PM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Gau-8 and Godsuki both good posts. Thank you for the reminders.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Triumphant

Bike(s):
2002 Triumph Trophy 1200

Dont listen to him. Drive it like you stole it. Unless you are riding my bike. LOL Cant have anyone thinking I am a complete idiot now.
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Well said, Tim.
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

I been riding like this for the last 40 years... great post tim..

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
triumphant675r

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

This post could not be more true. as a daily commuter, sometimes i find myself doing thigs in traffic that are just stupid, and it's because i get impatient, i get tired of being hot in all the gear and start moving through traffic taking gaps i shouldn't just because i'm running late and i'm on a machine that can do that. Recently i've been working on toning it down. i leave a little earlier and take the HOV when i can. it's more than a little tempting to take an oncomming turn at a speed well above the limit, but the more i see and the more close calls i have and situations i put myself in the more i realize i won't be able to ride away every time, and who wants to die on the way to work? or on a back road? not me.

group rides have become a love/hate thing for me. i went to a pasadena meet the other night and ended up splitting off and heading home almost as soon as we left. i saw close to 20 bikes and maybe one other person wearing more than a helmet, then we get on the road and it's mayhem, almost no one using turn signals, i almost got hit twice in a matter of minutes by other riders not paying attention to their surroundings. luck is the reason many riders are still alive today, myself included
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
maxgs

Member Garage

Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

very nice read

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Good post....I've been following those rules for years, except for #1.....the 80% rule. I believe mine is somewhere between 85-90%
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Nevermind Tim please. I'd like to keep getting cheap salvage bikes in the future, so keep squiding it up.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Nevermind Tim please. I'd like to keep getting cheap salvage bikes in the future, so keep squiding it up.
I LOL'D

Buwahahahaha
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

"mind the gap" unless it's a scary jungle.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement