MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #21
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about trail braking... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 115 07-11-2009 11:08 PM
trail braking? Schmitty General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-17-2008 12:25 PM
Riding Skills Series: Trail Braking tschreck Taking it to the Track 6 06-23-2006 07:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
timboslice
public punchin bag

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
A quick one

What sparked my curiousity about this is a little OTT series with matt mladin called inside with the champ. In said video he speaks his opinion on where time is made up at the top level of racing, and you guessed it he say it is all done with the front of the bike. Check them out they are really interesting.
timboslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #23
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

The thing you have to put in to perspective is "your pace" versus "their pace". The things the really fast guys do can sometimes be impossible to apply. There are several other things they do that really need to be mastered before applying late/ trail braking techniques they use to your own riding.

To the original question, trail braking is a skill that is best practiced with a careful approach 'cause it can spit you off the bike. Personnally, I use trail braking for mid-corner corrections and while positioning for a pass for instance. I (don't think I do...) use it other than situations like that.

The Keith Code method teaches what was already expressed previously; get your braking done before the turn. In other words, use your reference points and set your corner speed by corner entry. Obviously there are times in racing situations where you're going to late-brake someone in order to pass them or beat them in to a corner. Doing this at a track day in order to decrease your lap times is an dangerous way to try to get through the day.

I think some of the track day orgs offer 1:1 instruction, some don't. I know LSTD does and you get video of yourself for the day. My bet is that good instruction can get you around the track faster (stats show that this is true) and if you want to work on trail braking it can be done too. It's only $50 + bring your own 2 gig SD card at any LSTD event if you would like to take it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
ArtistMarty

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
timboslice
public punchin bag

Bike(s):
A quick one

Howard gives the impression that is a corner by corner basis, but he also advises to keep your fingers on the brakes until you get back on the gas, which i have been nagged at to stop doing numerous times by numerous instructors (which i never will because its so much more graceful for me). And just the other day i read a comment by kevin schwantz where he stated most racers trail brake to get around set up problems with the bike, and in an ideal situation most if not all of your braking will be done straight up and down.

So there is no debate about whether or not there are mixed views on this subject, but one thing i know for sure is that WHENEVER i see an onboard camera of top level racers, whether they are riding devensive lines or even got a healthy lead, they will almost always be on the front brake until their knee is on the ground.
timboslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #26
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboslice View Post
Howard gives the impression that it is a corner by corner basis, but he also advises to keep your fingers on the brakes until you get back on the gas, .
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #27
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

mladin talks about braking here
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement