MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
timboslice
public punchin bag

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
A quick one

Late/Trail braking

Im starting to wonder how much time can be made up on the brakes? I know alot of riding coaches say to get your braking done while the bike is straight up, but all the guys i see that are really fast brake very hard, very late, and just about always trail the brake off until their knee is on the ground. So whats the deal, whats the proper way to brake?
timboslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about trail braking... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 115 07-11-2009 11:08 PM
trail braking? Schmitty General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-17-2008 12:25 PM
Riding Skills Series: Trail Braking tschreck Taking it to the Track 6 06-23-2006 07:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

I always remember what they teach in level 2 about trailbraking. As u lean the contact patch gets smaller so should the applied pressure of the brakes. I can't remember how to say it but it's alongn that concept. Hopefully some of the fast guys chime in....
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
mammothmc

Unless I'm mistaken, true trail braking is using a slight drag on the rear brake through a turn. It settles the suspension a bit = shorter wheel base= tighter turning radius. Its not actually about the braking you can do with it.

You can use brakes or engine braking through a turn rather than acceleration. The goal either way is to settle the suspension so that the bike holds its line.....but its definately an advanced skill
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

GSS CCW is the best practice for trailing
I知 really happy for you and I知 going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
I always remember what they teach in level 2 about trailbraking. As u lean the contact patch gets smaller so should the applied pressure of the brakes. I can't remember how to say it but it's alongn that concept. Hopefully some of the fast guys chime in....
Well think about it.

If a tire has a total of 100% of traction available at any given time and you're using 85% of its available traction for turning the bike and then ask for 25% braking force...you're going to dump the front shortly after 15% braking is given.

I'm not a fast guy at all...but this is what makes sense to me.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

As far as making up time on the brakes, I read something that made sense to me. (since I'm not fast, I quote others)
Every second you can get on the gas earlier is another second of speed you are carrying down the straights and since you are accelerating it compounds the advantage. Waiting until the last possible moment to brake as hard as possible is great, if you can pull it off, but getting on the gas sooner gives a bigger payoff.
The point is, late braking good, early gas better.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

I would almost rather set my entry speed before getting into the corner and be at a speed where I can get in the corner with my chasis settled and start rolling on the gas.

Rather than rolling up with my hair on fire, slamming the brakes, hoping my speed is good for the corner and not having to make a bunch of mid-corner throttle corrections to keep my line in shape and potential suspension funk and then start getting on the gas.

I'd rather be smooth and compossed on the way in and getting on the gas really hard on the way out rather than rushing in and having to worry about 100 things to keep the bike on line and in the turn.

But that's just me and it's probably why i'm still slow.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, true trail braking is using a slight drag on the rear brake through a turn.
This is incorrect. Trail braking refers to the steady trailing off of the FRONT brakes up to the apex of a turn. The point is more to keep the front tire loaded, flexing the carcass, and giving the widest contact patch on the front possible. So, in essence it "settles the suspension" but not in the way that you might initially think.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
timboslice
public punchin bag

Bike(s):
A quick one

OK, we got alot of different points going on all at once, and many of them with some good backing. Lets start putting them together.

The time between when your on the gas, and when your on the brakes should be kept to a minimum.

The less time spent braking the more time spent going fast. This is true but means you must brake very hard and late.

Getting on the gas early is the best way to carry speed, This is also true but does not mean you cant get off the brakes late.

Braking hard flattens the tire and increases traction. This is very true and would increase the distance you could trail brake.

Braking should be used to set corner speed. This is also very true.

Throttle and Brake inputs should be smooth and gradual. Not slow, but gradual.

Your chassis need to be settled when you are turning. This is also true, but there are some exceptions.

When you brake hard the front end drops significantly. This helps the bike turn at a faster rate which will help cornering. Now if you gently release the brake instead of just dropping it it will allow the front to slowly rise back up to provide enough travel for the suspension to work properly. If not stiffer springs will probably help. At this point, which for me is just a bit before the apex, brakes are off, bike and body are set, and am just cracking open the throttle. Max lean angle is reached and then its all about the exit, and getting my wrist twisted.

I have spent a good amount of time playing with alot of this, and even changing set ups on the bike to try to focus on different techniques.

I have come to the conclusion that it depends on the corner. For example, your not gonna wanna trail brake into a long sweeper, or an increasing radius turn, but a decrasing radius turn, a really long hairpin, or carousel it might help you carry a bit more speed on the entry.

Please chime in with a comment or question on these thoughts, the really good answers come from really good debates, and im open to many different ideas. For example i have heard Matt Mladin ,on inside with the champ, say that he never uses the back brake, but instead clips all his gear changes right off the back and then controls drag on the rear wheel with the clutch and throttle while braking.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

sounds like you know what youre doing. now it just takes practice. maybe do a private day with Ty Howard?
I知 really happy for you and I知 going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
timboslice
public punchin bag

Bike(s):
A quick one

I followed Ty around MSRH and its gonna take way longer then one day. Lol Na he only does classes at MSR Cresson and thats quite a trip for me. I would really enjoy that though and would without a doubt learn alot.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Ty does classes with RideSmart on virtually all the texas tracks.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
timboslice
public punchin bag

Bike(s):
A quick one

What about the one on one with ty?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboslice View Post
What about the one on one with ty?
Cresson and ECR...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
timboslice
public punchin bag

Bike(s):
A quick one

Thats what i remember reading, both are quite a ways off for me. Not to say im not gonna do it, just not this season.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
timboslice
public punchin bag

Bike(s):
A quick one

Oh yeah speaking of really late and hard braking check out this link.

http://motomatters.com/news/2010/04/...t_carbon_.html
Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Being a new/novice/slow rider and still working on the very basics of riding at reasonable speeds I try to be completely done with my braking before the turn, or just shortly after the entry. In my mind proper techniques, body position and throttle control have more weight than being a king of braking late at my current skill level. I still have a hard time mentally getting my self to start cracking the throttle at the apex. I know its mental and that my bike can fully handle it, I just find that particular mental barrier extremely tough. The last thing I want to do is get into a corner way to hot and have a fear kick in and trash my mental state and cause me to wreck. Done it once already and it sucks. But hopefully ill get there. Sooner rather than later...
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

^^^ Alot of it is mental. Think about it. How much faster is, lets say Alonzo, entering, going through, and exiting the turn than yourself. Its almost like there is no such thing as entering "too hot". Entering too hot simply means your are scaring yourself and freaking out instead of trusting your bike, tires, and skill to get you through the turn safely. All that comes within time and practice.

I try to say to myself. If he can do it, I can do it. While Im following someone faster.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
blaknwite

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

As an old geezer I come from the "get your breaking done before you get tipped in" world. Today the bikes are set up so much better than the elastic framed stuff I grew up on.
The trackday instructors convinced me to forget what I knew and brake into the appropriate corners. It increases the size of the contact patch by keeping the front loaded and thus by compressing the front the geometry changes so that the bike actually turns quicker. Traction is better all round.
Its pretty cool when you get it right.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #20
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
it's a comfort level thing....

next time you're at the track, after you're done braking at your normal brake point, try trailing. at first it will feel like your bike can't turn when you're on the brakes, release a little lever the more you start leaning your bike. regardless of how fast you are going, keep dragging that front brake slightly til apex.....that's good practice. you'll get a feel for trail braking, and you'll see how much more it will help slow you down before you get back on the gas.

or the next time you come out to an LMStrackdays.com event, get with me and i'll work with you on trail braking.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement