MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Robert95z
Ro-Beer-To

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
02 F4i SOLD, 07 CBR600RR SOLD

Question Wiring LEDs, help!

Trying to wire 6 leds in series. Basically i cant figure out how to wire a running light and brake light. I can do one or the other but i cant figure out both. How does running lights work on a bike, is there a resistor that makes the voltage less making the lights dimmer? Then the brake like is straight power making them brighter again?

Cant figure this out. If I ground the LEDs and put the power wire on the running lights wire, the LEDs are lit. But when i put them on the brake power wire, they light but they are no brighter than the running light power wire. Get it? Need help! My bikes stuck in the garage because of no brake lights, help me geebus!
Robert95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LEDs Moc05 How To's and Q & A's 5 09-02-2009 10:08 PM
leds Itzel86 Performance and Modifications 21 04-19-2009 12:11 AM
re-did my LEDs Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 10-31-2007 08:50 PM
CuStOm LEDS! dudewhrsmybike General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 10-06-2007 09:25 PM
neons/ leds?? dokoliday General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 07-29-2005 08:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
rickykline
super squid

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

run them in parralell...

I WISH MY GRASS WAS EMO SO IT WOULD CUT ITSELF....
rickykline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Robert95z
Ro-Beer-To

Bike(s):

How is that going to work refering to running and brake lights? explain a little please
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Robert95z
Ro-Beer-To

Bike(s):

What makes a running light run at low intensity and what makes a brake light work at high intensity?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

you may need a resistor or new relay so that the power received to the LED's is regulated. what bike is this? did you buy a kit with the relays already included or are you making one yourself?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
Robert95z
Ro-Beer-To

Bike(s):

im making one myself, i finished soldering and went to test it on my bike, f4i. Guess i need some kind of voltage regulator. I tested the LEDs on the running light wires, and tested the LEDs on the brake light wires, Both illumante at the same intensity. I cant figure out what size resistor i will need. Specs for the LEDs im using http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/r3_specs.htm
Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

check out the kits on ebay and look at what size resistor/relay/fuse they use in the kit they sell. LED's arent like lightbulbs where you can make anything to your liking and have it work, but maybe if you look on some f4i forums or honda oriented boards you can get a better answer and sooner.
good luck!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3
do you have the wiring diagram for it? im probably just dumb ( dont even say anything ricky) but if you have a power wire for the allways on and one for when you pull in the brake, shouldnt you just have to set 3 of the lights to allways on then have the other 3 turn on when use the brake?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It sounds like you are trying to make an L.E.D. be both a running light and a brake light. Taillights are typically dual filament, 1 wattage for running and one for brake.
Most L.E.D.'s are single filament. Although you could wire in a resistor and diode to make them dimmer while they are running lights, they would be pretty dim. Without knowing the specs on your L.E.D's it's hard to suggest what ohm resistance you'll need.
If you're just trying to rig up something, buy 2 L.E.D. strips and wire one as a brake light and the other as a running light.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
Robert95z
Ro-Beer-To

Bike(s):

Patrick, here are the specs of the LEDs im using. http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/r3_specs.htm

I have 6 LEDs in series on a 12v power source, so thats 2v each right? What would it take for the LEDs to run at 1.5v?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I&EE here (Instrument and Electrical Engineer)
First off, you need to run those LEDs in parallel. IE + to + and - to - not + to - (Series). Think of it as a ladder. The two sides of the ladder are the battery voltage and the rungs of the ladder are the LEDs. You start pushing the current higher through each LED and you will shorten the life span of the LED. Also if one LED goes south, then the others will go out as well. Remember trying to find out which bulb went out on the xmas lights? Same problem. Also the LEDs will get progressively dimmer the more you put in series cause they will drop the voltage.

So now on the the resistor idea that you have floating around.
Pat is right, Bikes use what they call a dual filament bulb. In that bulb, one filament has a higher resistance and glows brighter when voltage is applied to it. But LEDs have a turn on voltage and an off voltage...they turn on at ~5volts. So dimming them is not a proper way of dealing with them. You have to play a trick with LEDs and this is my suggestion. Put regular LEDs staggered with the superbright LEDs. Hook the Superbright LEDs to the brake lead and the running light to the normal LEDs. Like this:
Code:
   oooooooooo
    oooooooo
      oooooo

Advertisement