Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Lowering Your Bike w/out Links, Cutting The Seat

I went and purchased a set of links for my bike but have decided against them, I am vertically challenged, and don't want to screw with the handling of my bike.

I have done some reading and cutting the seat foam seemed like the best option.

For those not familair with the process there are a couple of write ups floating around and it's a fairly easy process.

Note: If you have trouble using the tool kit supplied with your bike to remove the seat, Stop right now and get some help, you may be over your head.

I am doing this on a ZX-10R.

First thing you want to do is remove the seat from the bike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9060144.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	38402

You can see in the picture there is a good deal of foam that can be removed to help you plant your feet firmer on the ground.

Flip the seat over and using a small screw driver and a pair of pliers remove the staples on the under side of the seat pan.

Name:	P9060147.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	38403

Name:	P9060148.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	38404

After you have the cover removed, outline on the foam what you intend on removing.

Name:	P9060156.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	38405

Get to hacking, you can use just about any thing, most people recommend a kitchen carving knife, I used a carpentry trim, saw because that's what I had in the shop. Over all the cuts came out good but they were rough.

To clean up the rough spots I used a wire brush. It made shaping the foam so easy but made a of a mess.

Name:	P9060157.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	38406

To make cutting the foam easier do not remove it from the seat pan, it gives it more rigidity, and makes it easier to shape.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowering Links 2007 CBR600RR Irishman How To's and Q & A's 2 04-03-2009 12:52 PM
lowering links question NorthHoustonGSXR General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-21-2009 11:59 PM
lowering links ccalvin How To's and Q & A's 5 04-15-2008 08:36 AM
Lowering links on a Ninja 250R TurboLaserAWD Performance and Modifications 10 03-22-2007 09:35 PM
Lowering links Yokee Performance and Modifications 25 06-23-2005 01:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Once I had the basic shape, I used a wire brush with a handle to massage the foam and get is as perfect as possible. After it was shaped I buffed everything down with an electric grinder and 80 grit sanding disc.

Note: If you do not have any patience, or depth perception, stop, take it to someone who does, or you will screw it up, and wind up posting in the wanted section about needing a new seat, Ha ha.

Now I have it all cut down and it looks good, you can see a slight imperfection where the foam had tore. This is no big deal, once it is recovered you will never know.

Name:	P9060161.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	38409

Look at the chunks that came out and the mess that was made.

Name:	P9060158.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	38407

Name:	P9060159.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	38408

Now I have the foam cut, and the seat back in place. Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I know it is not covered yet. I recommend you place the seat pan back on with the foam and sit on the bike. Make sure it fits you good. You can add foam to the back of the seat pan and it will cradle your backside allowing you to fit tight in the seat.

Name:	P9060163.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	38410

Now, some things I have noticed,

My feet are definately closer to the ground, when the crown of the seat was removed, it places more strain on your inner thighs at the base of the seat. This will take a little getting used to. I also feel like I am sitting down in the bike a little more. Removing foam from the crown of the seat has also placed my knees a little higher inot the tank and I feel like I can tuck in a little tighter.

When you remove the foam remember the original seat cover is going to have to be stretched to fit. I have not put the cover on yet because I did not have any upholstery glue last night. I will update this as I finish the seat.

Overall the project is fairly easy, but it is messy.

More pictures to come when I get it finished.

If you mess up, you can always add foam and reshape it. I would glue layers of high density capet padding and shape it using an electric grinder and a 60-80 grit sanding disc.

Last edited by anatram; 09-07-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling
anatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Jerzey
The Trickster

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

awsome write up! i will have to be dooing that to my +1's bike when she picks it up! shes 4'9" and on a ninja 250. but will still prob have to lower the bike
Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

one little note, after cutting the foam you will have to re-stretch the original cover to fit. This is a pain in the with the OEM seat cover.

I searched all over for similar material but it is near impossible to find. However I did find a place here in Houston that has ust about every vinyl patterna nd color you could imgine. The place is Glick Textiles, it is right on 59 near Sheperd.

I picked up a yard of black waterproof simulated leather vinyl for 7.95 a yard, this is more than enough to do both seats on my ZX.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
hurricane

lower ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey View Post
awsome write up! i will have to be dooing that to my +1's bike when she picks it up! shes 4'9" and on a ninja 250. but will still prob have to lower the bike
shoot a pm to oldman650r
his wife ai'nt much taller and i am pretty sure, has a ninja 250. He might have some pointers for you.

wayne
hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement