Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #21
Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Originally Posted by timboslice View Post
I think CCW is faster
The straight into Turn 1 is fast. Thats my fav turn.
sigpic6669 2
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #22
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

They ran the last session CW. It was awesome...much quicker and better flow IMO.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
Our past stops right now
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
Trav, I was looking over some of that video I told you about and it looked like the main problem was that you weren't anywhere on the race you were fighting it the whole time. I think I may have gotten two laps on camera, but I'll PM you the youtube vid of just those two laps when I get a chance.

Being that it was your first time CCW, you probably should have had someone show you the line for a session.

AJ, nice meeting you. You sure looked like you liked CCW out there.
Thanks, I appreciate that. It was good formally meeting you. I was a big mess out there, and on 8a I stayed on the opposite side to avoid being a hazard.
+Travis+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
Driving Duh-Bus
Feedback Rating: (5)

So I've been thinking about this since the last weekend. When running CCW I hit 122 MPH indicated on my 1000. And I know I take the back straight turns (5,6,7?) that lead up to turn 8 at well under race pace cause I always get passed there. But I carry a ton of speed into 8 and am usually back on top of whoever passed me.

In contrast, running clockwise, running out of turn 8, I am in 3rd gear accelerating while I turn out onto the back straight. I maybe am going 100 MPH at the same point where going CCW I am going 122. How can this be?

In theory, I should be able to turn and accelerate much harder than I can turn and brake. I am coming out of the same corner that in the opposite direction I am braking into. Going CW I am accelerating on the back 180 (190?) tire, not afraid to lift the front end a little. Lord knows going into the same turn CCW I am not braking hard enough to lift the rear wheel or get near the edge of traction.

So, my question to ponder in my own head is, do I really suck that hard at driving out of the apex on the rear tire? Am I so scared of a highside that I am that much slower at accelerating than braking? Would I be that much faster at GSS on my SV650 than on a 1000?

So I start to think thru the various turns and the differences in line going one way versus the other. Then it occurs to me...I have some really awkward lines on acceleration that vary widely form my braking lines. I brake to the far outside of the turn, and gun it on the inside on corner exit to get as much speed as possible for the long straight. Maybe I will be faster if I take a line more similar to my braking line and swing wider and accelerate harder with more trust in my back tire.

One thing I know for sure...running a track CW and CCW teaches you a lot about lines, corner entry and exit reference points, and overall track flow. I am sure by reflecting on how I ran CW, my CCW time will improve by at least a second. Sadly, my CW will never get better until I learn how to turn right on and off the gas. I'm like Zoolander.

This is seriously fun stuff. Thanks Groove Union.
Faster and Faster, Slowly! BRAWP it like its hot, BRAWP it like its hot.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #26
Feedback Rating: (0)

'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Would I be that much faster at GSS on my SV650 than on a 1000?
I can almost guarantee it. You'd be amazed how much faster you are when you're not constantly worrying that your bike is going to highside you to the moon. A SV or motard is a perfect match for GSS!
andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote