MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I've personally relegated myself to occasional racing. I was never that fast anyway and (as proved this year) don't really have the desire or maybe the ability to sprint race. However we are entertaining a comeback to endurance racing; which is more my "speed". I'm also building a project bike to race in TMGP next year (maybe at the GSS event...).

All said, I think Candie hit the nail on the head! Track days have taken a lot of folks' desire to race and turned them toward a trackday hobby versus a racing hobby.

The trend of new licensees for the CMRA has taken a down-turn this year and only recently leveled out to be in-line with previous years. I think the economy has everything to do with that.

My advice to everyone who has done a track day is to:

1. Attend a race as a spectator or better yet corner work the race and get paid to watch up close and personal! There are two round remaining; Cresson and TWS (Texas World Speedway). Yes, Cresson is farther away than "addyourlocalfavoritetrackhere" but it's not as far as it seems.

2. Once you're comfortable moving up from the beginner group, take an advanced course with "Yourfavoritetrackdays.com" and get comfortable with close passing, faster corner speeds, and techniques that will help your riding enjoyment on and off the track.

3. When you get to the point where you are comfortable with youself, your bike, your suspension, and your tires; give a whirl to racing.

What racing does for you:

Shows you what "fast" is. Seriously, so many folks get so much faster once they start racing. It is very humbling at first, but that soon fades when you forge strong relationships with other racers. It's a very familial atmosphere: some of the best and closest friends I have I met in the racing scene.

Bang for the buck? Heck yeah! It's the coolest thing since sliced bread and peanut butter. When I had to reapply for my license years ago and did the mock race, I didn't care if I finished first, or last, nobody beat me when it came to how much fun I had!

There are two ways to race on a "budget", or actually maybe four.

1. TMGP/ CMRA mini- any class, any venue, any time. Most fun on two wheels and you can do it on a full size chassis like the Ninja 250 or Aprilia RS50 (my personal favorite) using one set of tires for almost an entire season!!
2. SV650 class racing- tires: cheap, parts: cheap and plentiful, fun: limitless. Yeah, it's not the fastest bike on the grid for track days, but guess what; when you race against other SV's, you can be!
3. SV650 endurance- big bike endurance racing is easily the most bang for the buck aside from minis. The cost per lap versus sprinting is a no-brainer if you look at the numbers that way. You'll learn a TON because the fastest guys in the club (and outside the club) will be out there with you.
5. Clubman/ vintage- while upkeep on some vintage or clubman class bikes can be expensive, there are more "modern" vintage bikes that are eligible for those classes now that are. Case in point- a stock or moderately tuned HawkGT, CBR600F3, GSXR600/ 750/ 1000 of certain years, etc. Again, tires and upkeep are cheaper on (some) of these bikes, and the more popular bikes like the GSXRs and CBRs have parts 'o plenty with great suspensions (by comparison). There is also a class in endurance for these bikes that increase the bang for the buck factor.

Questions? Ask any of the folks that are licensed CMRA racers. They will either gladly take you under their wing or direct you to the right place for guidance!

If'n you do it and decide you don't like racing, well, it's one thing to cross off the 'ol bucket list and either stick with track days or pick another hobby. 'Least you can say you did it once- my guess is that you'll stick with it though.

Good thread Armando!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Race License Status? Solracer Taking it to the Track 31 02-12-2012 10:08 PM
M license wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 03-28-2011 02:00 PM
Non-US License OJgsxr General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 11-04-2009 01:41 PM
Race license maxgs Taking it to the Track 44 05-29-2008 10:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

^^^ Good Post Tom
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #23
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
good discussion, for the most part. keep it up amigos

i need something else to spend my money on, possibly something not as likely to end in my demise. not a family though
get you a hottie, and watch the bank account disappear
Old 09-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #24
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

very good post Tom!

i like this part a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
What racing does for you:

Shows you what "fast" is. Seriously, so many folks get so much faster once they start racing. It is very humbling at first, but that soon fades when you forge strong relationships with other racers. It's a very familial atmosphere: some of the best and closest friends I have I met in the racing scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
get you a hottie, and watch the bank account disappear
tried that, didn't end to well. bikes are still cheaper
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

I will get my license next year!!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
andygill17

Bike(s):
'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

I did the race school back in june, and I'm hoping to make the last race of the season at TWS (Texas World Speedway). That is, if I can find a belly pan and get my SV safety wired by then.
andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #27
jcat
Banned

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #28
thenextrossi
Banned

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 (racebike)2004 kawasaki zx-10r(Trackdaybike), 2009 Kawasaki zx6r(racebike)

User is banned

thenextrossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
what kinna project bike you got going for tmgp?
I've had an RS50 Aprilia occupying space in my shop for quite some time and I need to finish it. All I need to do is put the KX60 motor together and have an exhaust made- I just can't seem to find the time to finish it.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Great post. I can vouch for an SV. They are not fast. but you don't have to slow down too much for the corners. Like Tom said, when you are out running with other SV's, it's even more fun.
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
if anybody has any questions regarding getting involved in racing, I would be willing to help anyway I can also. You can pit with me even and i'll help you out with gettin registered and tech'd so you know what to do next time on your own. it's a lot of fun and a great experience!

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #32
Deano3090
Dino Racing

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1 - (Race)
2009 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2007 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2003 CRF450 Motard (Race)
2005 CRF100 Motard (Race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
if anybody has any questions regarding getting involved in racing, I would be willing to help anyway I can also. You can pit with me even and i'll help you out with gettin registered and tech'd so you know what to do next time on your own. it's a lot of fun and a great experience!
I might be taking you up on that offer this weekend.

This weekend is my ProvNov race 1
TWS (Texas World Speedway) will be my race 2
www.SCRaceCenter.com - www.P-1Race.com - www.DNPAmericas.com - www.GoPro.com
www.amsoil.com - www.racerglovesusa.com - www.VPRacingFuels.com - www.SidiSport.com
Deano3090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #33
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill17 View Post
I did the race school back in june, and I'm hoping to make the last race of the season at TWS (Texas World Speedway). That is, if I can find a belly pan and get my SV safety wired by then.
Looks like I won't be racing this year. I have a belly pan you can use. If you want a new one, I can give you the guys details that made it for me. My SV is naked with a belly pan.
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #34
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

thanksgiving bump.

anyone planning to get started next season?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #35
Hi-Side

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

Send a message via AIM to Hi-Side
The SV doesnt have alot of power, but if you can make it go fast, you can make anything go fast. Too many people use the power of a big bike as a crutch. Any idiot can go fast on the straights... it takes an uncommon one to go fast in a corner. IMO its a near perfect platform for a new racer. The only thing better might be an EX250. Learn to push the front until it starts to slide, get comfortable with that and then move up to a bigger bike.

And as you can probably tell from my post, I'm one of those guys that moved to track days and racing and doesn't ride on the street any more. I feel more comfortable going into a corner at 110 with a guy leaning on me than on the street with a soccer mom in a mini-van on a cell phone while her kids are screaming in the back. Its all in your perspective. Its much safer in the controlled environment of the track.
Hi-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #36
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

did the class in august(i think) at TWS (Texas World Speedway), probably try next year sometime, been on a 38 yr vacation, had an FIM license many years ago
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote