MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
braingetter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2001 hayabusa drippin tha kandy blue paint makin stains in tha lanes

Can u tell that this was the original chain??lol

I am in the process of extending my swingarm with an extension kit I bought from ball z motorsports, and I also got galfer brake lines and a 43 tooth vortex sprocket for the rear. I intended to keep the standard 17 , but after tearing down more parts to take to powdercoat I saw one tooth broke off, so I guess i will replace that as well. I will go with a 16 tooth this time, I want more low end torque to try and keep up with them liter bikes from the jumpoff..I'm also getting a new airbox cuz I did the mod on mine and am not happy with loosing the low end on that mod, yes I see more top end but its not everyday when Im doing 180+ so I wont mind that at all..
Anywayz back on topic after taking off the clutch cover thingy to take off the front sprocket I saw all this debris from the chain, so it looks like its never been changed before.. Cuz if so the punk was lazy and didnt clean it up at all...Btw my bike has 20k miles on it, I bought it with 19k on it bone stock from a mature old doctor.. So i am the one doing all the mods to it to get her faster like I want it.. Tim from friendswood is going to have fun doing all my parts to powdercoat,alot of stuff from the wheels to swingarm, i'm even taking the kickstand... lol... thinking about also doing the new rear sprocket as well.. I have a new kandy job only 3 months old so I want this thing to bling this time around.. What yall think about all that debris?? Original chain imo...
258xlth

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
256tyth

259hth

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire alignment/chain adjustment (short-ish chain?) SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-14-2014 03:55 PM
"LOL texting while on patrol in my motorcycle what u doin? LOL full uniform 2 Ready darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-28-2013 08:24 AM
Major Lazer - "Original Don"....WTF lol Schmidie Off Topic 6 12-10-2011 04:41 PM
lol @ family pictures pre 1930! lol RojerLockless Off Topic 16 10-20-2009 02:34 PM
WHERE'S THE ORIGINAL POSTWHORES?? FastLine Off Topic 84 10-14-2005 12:36 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

hard to tell if its origional, probably so though as a stocker will last about 20k.... and it will always build up debris in there. looks pretty clean compared to others(which is not a good thing as it should have chain lube built up in there) but not so bad as it went 20k..... nothin to worry about though as your replacing the chain and both sprokets anyways.... i would not powdercoat the rear sproket, especialy if your trying to pick up low end. which air box mod did u do that u noticed a big decrease in acceleration? the small air box mod actually increases pretty much all around with a proper tune.... do u have a pc3 tuner? and if u really want a good jump u need to switch to a full exhaust system, i sugest the yoshi, talk to patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited about it, he will get u a good deal on it., and smog block off plates.

Last edited by camaroz2866; 09-02-2010 at 02:36 AM. Reason: edit
camaroz2866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

my stocker has 24k, but it dosen't have that 1300's torque. could prolly go a lol longer but i aint gonna push it. scored a chrome ek zzz here for a c-note
a great busa site www.hayabusa.org
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
braingetter

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz2866 View Post
which air box mod did u do that u noticed a big decrease in acceleration? the small air box mod actually increases pretty much all around with a proper tune.... do u have a pc3 tuner? .
I did the small box mod, but I havent got a pc yet because I read I need to do my full exhaust first to get the full effect from using it.. I added the yoshi slip ons, and the headers are something Im lookin into next. I was debating the 4to1 vs 4to2, I kinda like the bully look of dual exhaust, lets you know u have a real mans toy. I also heard the 4to2 can be tunes 2 ways.. (ok i'm ready to get flamed now go ahead)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
camaroz2866

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

U need to keep the small air box mod if it's done properly, get a gi pro ( smart tree with gear indicator), full exhaust with smog block off plates and remove the smog pump n all tubes, and get a pc3 with a proper tuning and u will be set, with your gearing alone u will have loads of low end, actually too much, u will never use as much as u will have, I did -1 in front and launch at around 6-7k and truly master that and u will not be beat by a lower cc bike.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
braingetter

Bike(s):

Thanks alot for your wisdom bro, I appreciate all your help. I just pulled out all my bearings in the wheels and swingarms and will be getting them to powdercoat soon, I want to do the exhaust before I put it back together but I'm ballin on a budget right now so imma ebay and craigslist hunt to see what i can find.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
camaroz2866

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Sounds like a good idea, easier to do it all at once if possible, and don't forget to put new spark plugs in as they should be changed about every 10k or earlier, and since u have front wheel off and bike down I would look at getting the fork seals redone as busas need it bat every 10k, so I would bet there about to start leaking, and since u have the bearings out if there original go ahead n replace with new ones.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingetter View Post
I am in the process of extending my swingarm with an extension kit I bought from ball z motorsports, and I also got galfer brake lines and a 43 tooth vortex sprocket for the rear. I intended to keep the standard 17 , but after tearing down more parts to take to powdercoat I saw one tooth broke off, so I guess i will replace that as well. I will go with a 16 tooth this time, I want more low end torque to try and keep up with them liter bikes from the jumpoff..I'm also getting a new airbox cuz I did the mod on mine and am not happy with loosing the low end on that mod, yes I see more top end but its not everyday when Im doing 180+ so I wont mind that at all..
Anywayz back on topic after taking off the clutch cover thingy to take off the front sprocket I saw all this debris from the chain, so it looks like its never been changed before.. Cuz if so the punk was lazy and didnt clean it up at all...Btw my bike has 20k miles on it, I bought it with 19k on it bone stock from a mature old doctor.. So i am the one doing all the mods to it to get her faster like I want it.. Tim from friendswood is going to have fun doing all my parts to powdercoat,alot of stuff from the wheels to swingarm, i'm even taking the kickstand... lol... thinking about also doing the new rear sprocket as well.. I have a new kandy job only 3 months old so I want this thing to bling this time around.. What yall think about all that debris?? Original chain imo...
258xlth

256tyth

259hth

look at the markings on the chain, it will give you a good idea, after market stuff (suggesting a change) is pretty generic, OE chains are not so
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Looking at the first picture you posted I see two issues going on here.

1) The sprocket has a broken tooth this is a given, running with a broken tooth will stress the little rollers inside each individual chain link. I would take a small pair of needle nose pliers and try to move each roller up and down. If you have a lot of movement here your chain is shot. Also I would suspected not only are the rollers shot there may be a couple that are damaged severely. There would be no other way to break a tooth off of the main drive sprocket unless the rollers were bad.

2) The drive sprocket teeth appear to be sharp from the picture, meaning the sprocket teat have a straight taper and not an angled profile, this is an indication of wear, when it gets to the point more than like it is because the chain is shot.

3) When you replace a sprocket due to wear I would thoroughly inspect the other sprocket as well, if the chain has damaged one sprocket it's safe to say the other sprocket may have a fair amount of wear as well.

4) No matter what replace the chain and the bad sprockets, it's safe insurance. If you don't replace the chain and bad sprockets the wear will compound itself and you will tear up parts faster.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
camaroz2866

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

He already pointed out the broken tooth in first post and stated getting new chain and sprockets, good eye if u didn't read the post though
Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

[QUOTE=camaroz2866;2639854]He already pointed out the broken tooth in first post and stated getting new chain and sprockets, good eye if u didn't read the post though
I seen that, just wanted to spread a little knowledge for those not familiar with chain and sprocket inspection. You would be surprised how many people over look these items.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
braingetter

Bike(s):

u are totally correct, the chain started getting very loose and clacking in low gear, I tightened the wheel all the way back and it still did it, the chain was missing a few barrels and the back sprockets teeth were starting to chip off, so i got a new ek chain and vortex sprocket along with other upgrades I have been wanting to do,and then the more i took off the more i wanted powdercoated, and other items upgraded, Thne i noticed the front sprocket had a chipped tooth so i took it apart more so now im taking the stator cover to powder also.. what turned in about 600 in upgrades is now going to be about 2k once im done, cuz I dont wanna tear the bike down again for awhile so imma do the extensions, brake lines,full exhaust, tuneup, seals, ebc extreme pro pads, speedohealer, pc3, and even a gear indicator..Doing all these things kinda makes me feel like a kid at x-mas again, my bikes really gonna haul now after all this stuff put on, 16t front 43t rear sprockets..... yep...

Advertisement