MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #81
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud pipes might not save lives, but.. gots2no Off Topic 1 12-29-2014 12:16 AM
loud pipes bro Pauly General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-28-2014 01:58 PM
Loud pipes and harassment? Doug Cruisers Lounge 78 06-20-2013 04:45 PM
Loud pipes save lives texasyankee General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-11-2008 09:52 AM
Loud pipes FTW! Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-05-2007 10:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #82
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
If you are on 1960, there is no way to speed up as there is a car right in front of you, and slamming on your brakes will cause you to get hit cuz lets face it, they don't give you room, and to your left you have on of those nice new median curbs, and to your right you have a car coming over, what would YOU do? Hope you lane split quick enough to not get hit? Honk your horn? Rev your bike? or jump the curb?

:-) First off your too close to the car ahead you then.

Yes, hit the brakes, that' the breaks not 'slam' them... would you rather get broadsided and tossed into oncoming traffic on go on to the hood of the car behind you? and I'm fairly confident you are NOT going to be hopping that 'curb' of most those medians.

While the car behind you MAY hit you, they may break too and give you enough room/time to get ouf of the cars way that's coming over on you if that one doesn't break off, and the vehicle (behind) is more likely to see you and react appropiately then the one coming over on you.
The horn is more likely to get attention than that exhaust ( you should be able to do both (horn and rev) at the same time really).

Be ever vigilant to avoid being in risky situations and practice, practice, practice in order to be ready to try to get out of the bad incidents.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 AM   #83
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
:-) First off your too close to the car ahead you then.

Yes, hit the brakes, that' the breaks not 'slam' them... would you rather get broadsided and tossed into oncoming traffic on go on to the hood of the car behind you? and I'm fairly confident you are NOT going to be hopping that 'curb' of most those medians.

While the car behind you MAY hit you, they may break too and give you enough room/time to get ouf of the cars way that's coming over on you if that one doesn't break off, and the vehicle (behind) is more likely to see you and react appropiately then the one coming over on you.
The horn is more likely to get attention than that exhaust ( you should be able to do both (horn and rev) at the same time really).

Be ever vigilant to avoid being in risky situations and practice, practice, practice in order to be ready to try to get out of the bad incidents.
I agree, I don't like to follow that close but on 1960 I drive completely different. For some reason the same rules don't apply to other roads.

This was a recent scenario. I follow close on 1960 because I have learned that people don't look till after they are changing lanes. Being very close to the car in front of me not only makes me more visible as they are more likely to see me with the car, it also gives me a slight gap as most cars are not going to merge on the back of the car. I would rather hit the car in front of me due to my own slow reaction than get hit from behind. Thats where me watching through or beyond the car I am behind is very important. As for the horn, no one hears it when in motion. When I say no one, I mean no one. I have used it many times. I have been lucky enough that I either rev the bike, or I'm able to shoot the hole to get away. As we all know, on 1960 no matter how careful you are, the situation can change drastically very quick. As for the horn and throttle, it takes the same amount of time to do either one. If I didn't live on that road, I would avoid it a lot more than I do.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #84
Diderich

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Why not get a louder horn instead of a louder exhaust?
Diderich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #85
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderich View Post
becuase two brothers and yoshimura don't make a horn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #86
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
becuase two brothers and yoshimura don't make a horn
Stebel does and its a whole lot cheaper and louder than any quasi-legal exhaust.

Cog, I was just adressing the particular scenario... not you. :-)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #87
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderich View Post
I didn't get a louder exhaust, I cut the one I have.

Exhaust = free and makes the bike sound better (if you have never heard a gutted VFR your life is incomplete)

Louder horn = $$ not to mention does nothing to make the bike more enjoyable.

Also, a louder horn doesn't make people hear you before you get there. Unless you drive down the road blasting it constantly.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #88
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #89
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

No matter what i still like the way d&d sounds
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #90
icecreaman

Feedback Rating: (20)

Bike(s):
08 ZX14
2011 ZX-6

[QUOTE=Diderich;2636185]Why not get a louder horn instead of a louder exhaust?

icecreaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #91
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

hostclaw would be proud
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #92
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I love a sweet exhaust note - AS A BYPRODUCT OF PERFORMANCE.

If your bike is loud because you've got a Brock's Sidewinder and some engine work then I'm all for it.

A stright pipe that serves no other purpose than to make your bike lound and crappy sounding is STU-PID.

Straight pipe Harleys are the worst. All the noise without the side effect of performance.

If you have a loud bike it better have the cajones to back it up.

STRAIGHT PIPES DO NOT SAVE LIVES. Show me ONE --CREDIBLE-- study that attempts to prove this and I'll show you many more that blow it out of the water.

For the most part loud pipes are a poser mod.

(I'd love to have a full Brock's system on my bike - and it would actually offer some noticeable performance gains on it's own - but I won't put one on without beefing up the motor first).

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #93
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned

Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #94
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I love a sweet exhaust note - AS A BYPRODUCT OF PERFORMANCE.

If your bike is loud because you've got a Brock's Sidewinder and some engine work then I'm all for it.

A stright pipe that serves no other purpose than to make your bike lound and crappy sounding is STU-PID.

Straight pipe Harleys are the worst. All the noise without the side effect of performance.

If you have a loud bike it better have the cajones to back it up.

STRAIGHT PIPES DO NOT SAVE LIVES. Show me ONE --CREDIBLE-- study that attempts to prove this and I'll show you many more that blow it out of the water.

For the most part loud pipes are a poser mod.

(I'd love to have a full Brock's system on my bike - and it would actually offer some noticeable performance gains on it's own - but I won't put one on without beefing up the motor first).
Why do I have to show a study when I personally hear bikes before they get to me AND when having a lane taken from me a rev of my pipe gets their attention and they move back over? Both are credible studies. And like said before, ONE TIME makes it worthwhile.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #95
Diderich

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
The problem with this thread is that one immediately assumes that someone with a loud exhaust will rely solely on it to save their . And that's not the case. If someone thinks that a loud exhaust will help them be noticed (much like a bright jacket or reflectors) then what the is the problem?
cause it's annoying. Like my neighbor who's harley wakes everybody up when he leaves at 5 am and he blips the throttle in the driveway...on purpose.

Like when you are outside having a cup of coffee and your conversation is interrupted and you have to wait for the to leave before you can talk again.

Loud pipes are like farting in an elevator.

that's fine, just when you do it don't give me any crappy story about how its better for your health.
Diderich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #96
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

This thread is full of opinions.

As we all know that opinions are like ... everyone has one, and they all stink
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #97
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Stebel does and its a whole lot cheaper and louder than any quasi-legal exhaust.

Cog, I was just adressing the particular scenario... not you. :-)
I didn't take it that you were. You answered my question just fine. I have two completely different riding styles. One for 1960 and one for every other road. Most every other road I agree with your response 100%
Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #98
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenphat View Post
My pipes aren't that loud but u take baffles out different story. I like the sound just like my race car loud and obnoxious. Waking up the police chief in my city priceless. I think has long as they follow the law do what u want to do its ur property. If its too loud ur too old I was told long time ago. If my bike and race car loud what do u think my 4 kicker 15 l7 and 4 Memphis 1500 Watt amps are. Its loud. Its r freedom to do whatever like isaid ifit within law requirements cops shouldn't b able to harass u.
rretarded 1

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #99
DrAwkwArD
Banned

User is banned

Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #100
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

There are varying degrees of loud, and there are varying reasons for being so. Ilove the sound of an engine with a performance exhaust. I can't recall the last time I heard a sportbike exhaust that I thought was obnoxiously loud. I really don't generally care for the sound of stock pipes, and have had many many vehicles of two and four wheels with performance aftermarket exhaust systems. Between our two Ducs with 2Bros and Ferracci systems on them, they're far from quiet - buth they're not ear-splittingly loud for the sake of loud either. Can you hear me in traffic? Sure, but I don't rely on it and I appreciate the perdformance gain more than the decibel increase. I see a lot of posts getting a little defensive about their loud sportbike exhaust, but they're probably not the ones that most would find that offensive anyway. We used to have neighbors about 6 houses down on the other side of the street in Georgia that had two Harleys loud enough to wake us two stories up from a dead sleep at 3am- and our baby at the time. Guys were constantly "saving their lives" apparently from all things inanimate and otherwise as judged by the constant throttle whacking. There's a line between loud and douchebaggery.
CCH is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement