MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #61
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
MayhEm

lol
Last edited by Mr. Unassailable; Today at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

^^ i fixed it like seconds after i saw what i did. guess you were to quick with the quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud pipes might not save lives, but.. gots2no Off Topic 1 12-29-2014 12:16 AM
loud pipes bro Pauly General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-28-2014 01:58 PM
Loud pipes and harassment? Doug Cruisers Lounge 78 06-20-2013 04:45 PM
Loud pipes save lives texasyankee General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-11-2008 09:52 AM
Loud pipes FTW! Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-05-2007 10:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #62
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #63
bun1t

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

I know for a fact that my loud pipe has saved me on multiple occasions. I've had people come into my lane and for me it's more instinctive to pull the clutch and rev than it is to fiddle on the handle bars looking for the horn.

So you guys can argue decibels all day long, but my shortened akro is staying on my bike.
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #64
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Ironic. On my way home, I was doing about 40mph on 1960. I was in the far right lane, put my blinker to change lanes and I hear the exhaust of a sportbike. I immediately abandoned changing lanes till I saw where it was coming from. Me being a motorcycle rider maybe it is easier for me to keep an ear out but this is where it gets interesting. Unaware that my wife was paying attention in the passenger seat over the radio and my jabbering 3 yr old daugher, my wife says "ok I hear it but I don't see it" Surely she wasn't talking about the same thing so I ask her like I didn't know. She responded "I hear the bike" just as an orange colored sportbike passes me on my left.

Clearly it doesn't work. Loud pipes make absolutely no difference. Even when she doesn't ride motorcycles.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #65
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
My bike was a screamer and I still got hit.
trust me, your bike was not a screamer in any sense of the word
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #66
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
old news and nice to see something along this line again for the noobs... i am pretty annoyed with the exhaust i put on my bike. cops have pulled me over after getting on the freeway just cuz they heard me coming i'm like really mr popo and he laughed. i dont like the vacuum cleaner sound the stock one came with however what i have now is just too much.
shush it, that arrow can is sweet. i love mine, and i won't let you badmouth the arrow. it does make our bikes sound like a ducati after all
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #67
Stricken55
Zoom Zoom

Bike(s):
12' Stratoliner Deluxe
RC51 SP2
FZ6R (sold)
SV650 (sold)
KLX250SF (sold)

This is me and it happens all the time! I just installed some loud pipes on my bike and people actually pay attention to me (including the ones on their cell phones!)
Stricken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #68
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

' ...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #69
Stricken55
Zoom Zoom

Bike(s):
12' Stratoliner Deluxe
RC51 SP2
FZ6R (sold)
SV650 (sold)
KLX250SF (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
' ...
Stricken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #70
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

I can't believe this argument still exists. Like thread after thread after thread one several different sites. If you don't think it works who gives a if the next person does.. It's their bike.. Let them do with it wtf they want. GEEEZE already. In only 10 years of riding and only cruisers up to my current bike, I have to say the best I had was a lil o' Kawi kz650 (I miss her). Had straight pipes, and I got more attention (to include people not paying attention) than not. No it's not a science, but if it catches one person's attention (which I hear pipes of all times all the time in my car w/ my 12" sub going) that's one accident avoided.. It's not 100% but it's not 0% either people.. Can't you just agree to disagree and both sides are right.. GET OVER IT!!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #71
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

If you dog runs out in the street and you think an oncoming car is about to hit your dog because they do not see it, what do you do...you yell. You think if you yell "STOP" loud enough there is a chance they will see your dog and won't hit it. You don't think..well my voice is only 85 decibels and the combined road noise and sound insulation of the car will keep them from hearing me so I why bother even yelling. He should have known better than to run out into the street. If he would have just stayed in the yard he wouldn't have put himself at risk. So I shouldn't even bother yelling. And besides I don't want to disturb the neighbors because that would be rude. Am I making any sense?
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #72
boner12
Mexican Kanevil

Bike(s):
06, 636 ( bulletproof)
99 zx9r sold
2010 ducati streetfighter

this is like da gear or no gear threads.. who cares just dew da dew and ride, experience will let u kno
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #73
ZeddXavier

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 ZX-6R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
Also worth noting is that the soundwaves from the exhaust are directed and concentrated rearward from the bike. If the bike is closing on the car at a reasonable speed difference, most drivers probably wouldn't notice anything until the rider's passing them anyway. +1 in regard to newer cars being well insulated from ambient sounds. I have many times had trouble hearing fire truck and police sirens untill they were very near, with the radio at a normal and reasonable level. There are certainly those who truly believe that it makes a big safety impact. I believe that there are far more that simply use it as a lame excuse to have a super loud exhaust and justify it as a necessity. I just can't help to notice that most friends, family and others who have preached this philosophy to me are the same ones who have no safety concerns about riding drunk or helmetless. Just man up and say it. "I have a loud exhaust because I think it sounds cool.". In the end, that's still 90% of the reason people buy loud pipes versus the marginal safety benefit.
agreed 110%
Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #74
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner12 View Post
this is like da gear or no gear threads.. who cares just dew da dew and ride, experience will let u kno
Perfectly said. All the "My nuts know more than your nuts" BS. Tell them "You do you and Imma do me".

To whom is either side of the argument trying to prove this to... Themselves? Someone close this thread.. It's taking up valuable real estate at the top of the list....
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #75
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

I didnt read the thread.

When I'm driving with the radio on and my 4 yr old son in the back watching his dvd cartoons, I can almost always hear a bike coming and actively look for it in my rearview mirrors. One time, I was trying to move over one lane to exit, heard the exhaust rev and slowed down. Guy was speeding and I told my girlfriend, "Look at that ". She knew immediately which way to turn cause she heard it too.

I don't know about tests and decibels and all that jibber jabber, but in my experience, they have most definitely heightened my awarenss that they're around me.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #76
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I didnt read the thread.

I don't know about tests and decibels and all that jibber jabber, but in my experience, they have most definitely heightened my awarenss that they're around me.

part of it (and was even mentioned in this thread) was the "I hear him but dont see him!" excuse.. (dont take it personally whover said that! just using the example, as it happens fairly often)

compared to your statement (but I didnt quote) about "actively scanning" the rear/side view mirror system.

I am willing to bet you have your mirrors set up correctly for the real blind spot, and not...

. pointing back at you
. running down the length of your vehicle. (pointing at your tail lights, or at least visible)
3. pointed at your tires.

(these are places where one can hear a bike, next to the vehicle, but not see them.) I see too many cars that dont have thier mirrors even remotely in useable positions (and many are posted here on the forum, laughing at other bikers, with the pics snapped within thier car)

Last edited by GAU-8; 08-31-2010 at 12:39 AM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #77
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post

I am willing to bet you have your mirrors set up correctly for the real blind spot, and not...
It bothers me to no end when people have all 3 of their car/truck mirrors facing directly behind them. If you threw 2 more mirrors on their vehicle, they'd all be facing tp the exact same spot too, I bet.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #78
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Loud pipes DO HELP get noticed by others on the road. No it's not a failsafe. You can bring out all the sound eveidence you want but they do help.

I don't know how many times someone was merging into my lane and didn't hear my horn. But they sure as heard my exhaust when i bounced it off the rev limiter real quick. I know i've heard bikes in my blind spot and couldn't see them while i'm in my truck.

Bottom line, no question, louder pipes do save lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
I know for a fact that my loud pipe has saved me on multiple occasions. I've had people come into my lane and for me it's more instinctive to pull the clutch and rev than it is to fiddle on the handle bars looking for the horn.

So you guys can argue decibels all day long, but my shortened akro is staying on my bike.
do you realize that you can probably accelerate out of the situation quicker than you can bounce it off the rev limiter and getting out of the compromising situation is safer becuase if you bounce off the rev limiter you are still beside them
sbfuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #79
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonbussa View Post
I can't believe this argument still exists. Like thread after thread after thread one several different sites. If you don't think it works who gives a if the next person does.. It's their bike.. Let them do with it wtf they want. GEEEZE already. In only 10 years of riding and only cruisers up to my current bike, I have to say the best I had was a lil o' Kawi kz650 (I miss her). Had straight pipes, and I got more attention (to include people not paying attention) than not. No it's not a science, but if it catches one person's attention (which I hear pipes of all times all the time in my car w/ my 12" sub going) that's one accident avoided.. It's not 100% but it's not 0% either people.. Can't you just agree to disagree and both sides are right.. GET OVER IT!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner12 View Post
You guys are missing a very big point of threads like this. LEGALITY The debate is due to the fact of an officer giving tickets because of bikes being too loud. When they help save lives and prevent accidents they should not be outlawed. It isn't just about what WE think. Look at myrtle beach for example, there are laws against loud exhausts there. You are required to have baffles in and are required to be under a certain db level. We don't want that to happen here as we believe it helps save lives.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #80
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
do you realize that you can probably accelerate out of the situation quicker than you can bounce it off the rev limiter and getting out of the compromising situation is safer becuase if you bounce off the rev limiter you are still beside them
If you are on 1960, there is no way to speed up as there is a car right in front of you, and slamming on your brakes will cause you to get hit cuz lets face it, they don't give you room, and to your left you have on of those nice new median curbs, and to your right you have a car coming over, what would YOU do? Hope you lane split quick enough to not get hit? Honk your horn? Rev your bike? or jump the curb?

Advertisement