MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #41
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I am about to start a build thread for this Z50 thats sittin in my garage with a seized piston, should be pretty fun. I found a stock cylinder, piston, connetdting pin and hardware on planet minis for $45!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My $500 project - Honda Nighthawk S NighthawkSWN Vintage / Cafe Racers 18 08-09-2014 07:00 PM
KTM 50 Pro SR project bike chixwithtrix Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 9 04-16-2012 03:50 PM
my new project honda! MiniBusa General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-07-2010 01:14 PM
Honda z50 project build up. kdog22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 01-06-2010 06:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #42
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
need some powder coating?
Possibly. There are a few parts i may go with powerdercoating on. I will be giving you a call for sure once that comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
I am about to start a build thread for this Z50 thats sittin in my garage with a seized piston, should be pretty fun. I found a stock cylinder, piston, connetdting pin and hardware on planet minis for $45!
Sweet.. You can't beat some of those deals on that site! I love the z50, i'll be looking forward to seeing your thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #43
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quick update:

I'm waiting on a few parts to come in the mail. I just got a confirmation letting me know what my order has been processed and has shipped. This is great news since one of the items is a new front fender. Which has been discontinued for a while now. I may have got very lucky to find the one site that's selling these. I'm also waiting on payday friday to come along so i can place anothe small order for some parts. Until then, i'm re-doing my stunt 50 so i don't go through withdrawels from not working on any bikes. I'm sure most of you can agree that there is alot of enjoyment to be had working on your bikes. To me, you can't beat drinking a cold beer or glass of whiskey with some tunes on and a cigarette lit while wrenching in the garage.

I have a theory.. Bear with me.. If i place small dollar amount orders on parts and stretch it out, there's much less of a chance that my woman will complain about dumping soo much money into this bike. I break up what would have been a $400 order into 3-4 seperate orders instead. BRILLIANT, i know..

My next step is to get the bike running nice and crisp before i start digging into cosmetic repairs, etc. I'll post a few more pics soon and keep everyone posted.

-kyle
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #44
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Just got my first (of many) box of parts in the mail yesterday. As stated in my previous post, i'm placing small orders at a time so costs stay more "under the radar".. I was very happy to see my front fender come in. Brand spanking new in the honda sealed bag front fender. Along with a kickstand spring so i can re-install the kickstand assembly that came separate with the bike and a new rubber grip that goes on the kickstart.

This morning i've placed another order from the same company for a new stator cover, a gasket/ o-ring kit for a carb rebuild and some rubber protectors that the gas tank rests on rather than straight tank to frame metal contact. I've been told by many people on planetminis.com specifically to NOT keep track of how much you spend restoring these bikes. It's easy to see there's a good reason for saying that.
There are a few individuals who have an easy $8,000-$10,000 in their honda zb's. I do not plan on puting anywhere near that kind of money into this bike but it will be very nice when i'm done.

Next up on my list of purchases are a new gas tank and a new replica red honda seat cover and re-do the seat. Those will have to wait a week or two. At that point i'll be just about ready to do a complete tear down and really start thinking about doing some powdercoating and painting.

I'm afraid to keep a tab but so far i've only put about $146.00 into this build. Unfortunately, that's only the tip of the iceburg.. Like i said, more pics to follow soon.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #45
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

I havn't had much time to put into this bike so far but this past weekend i was able to scrub a couple parts clean and install the kickstand that didn't come on the bike. One of the items i ordered from Honda was a kickstand spring so i slapped that one there. Found that the bottom of the kickstand comes in contact with the chain which is no bueno.

Upon closer inspection, the footpeg bracket/bar is actually a little tweaked. Not much but bent just enough to place the kickstand where it shouldn't be. I'll have to come back to that later but for now, i have a bike that will stand by itself so that's something in the right direction right? Haha..

I'm also about to buy a new/used set of forks from a guy in weatherford, Texas who is parting out his ZB. I'm waiting on some pics but he said i can have them and a new rear fender (they don't make those anymore) for $100 shipped. Not bad considering what i have on there is bent pretty good. One fork is very noticable while the other isn't nearly as much. Makes you wonder what the the bike hit? Bent forks simply won't do for me and this build so i'll probably get those within the next few weeks.

If i can't save myself from another huge bar tab like last weekend, i'll be able to get a few more parts before too long and make a significant change in progress overall.

More to come soon..

-Kyle

teardown
partsorder1
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #46
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

thats one cool little bike man, cant wait to see it in person
Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #47
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

get some clip ons

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #48
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
thats one cool little bike man, cant wait to see it in person
Once i get the major components replaced and fixed, i'll bring it out to MNM so yall can check it out. It's fuggin sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
get some clip ons
I thought about it. I think a company called "g-craft" might make them. From what i understand, they are a pretty penny. I'd be worrying about them up or even scratching them if and when it gets dropped or goes down. This is a bike that will certainly be ridden once i'm done. Screw having a bike you can't ride without worrying about it right?

The clipons do look trick as though.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #49
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:38 AM   #50
mr.haterz
SW squidbillies

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
01 F4i krunchy piece
99 z50r stock
96 z50r
03 xr50 108cc

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mr.haterz
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/murrayj_...1&_from=&_ipg=
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 AM   #51
mr.haterz
SW squidbillies

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
01 F4i krunchy piece
99 z50r stock
96 z50r
03 xr50 108cc

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mr.haterz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #52
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Holy those are some expensive pieces that guy is selling..

I need some headlight mounts but $135 for those g-craft headlights? Man.. That's nuts!

That one tank looks good though. Not bad for $500 buy it now price tag.

Thanks for the heads up man!
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #53
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quick little update since i havn't in a while. Have not had much time at all to work on this bike.

I'm currently working on getting a bonded title since i don't qualify to get a lost title. Unless i'm able to get ahold of the person the bike is registered to. I'm also working on ordering a new high-flow pod style air filter for this bike. The old one is a stainless steel mesh type of pod filter by some brand i've never heard of so i'm going to get a nice clean fresh one to slap in there. Picked up some good amsoil full synthetic for an oil change. Who knows how the oil looks or when it was changed last so i'm going to put my favorite oil in there for good measure.

Since i will be ordering a new replica tank from Germany at some point in time and/ or re-do the current tank completely, I had to source some new "ZB" stickers to replace the ones on the tank that will come off. As you would have guessed, honda has not made these stickers in a long time and you have about a 0% chance of finding NOS stickers. BUT, there's a guy who makes good quality replica stickers and sells them on ebay. For $55.00 plus shipping... Yeah, he must be proud of those to charge that much. So i've been holding off on buying them until i HAVE to. To my luck, today while browsing ebay, i came accross a guy who was selling the same exact stickers for $6.00 with free shipping. YEAH! You can't beat that! Sometimes it pays to be patient and wait to make a purchase. So i've got those ordered now. One less thing off my long checklist to buy.

Since funds will be tight until January, i'll have to wait to make any large part purchases but hopefully i'll be able to order the tank then. It will take a few weeks to get here but after that i'll be just about ready to strip down the bike and start painting or powdercoating from the frame up.

I'll post some more pics and more real progress is made.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #54
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quick update:

Just won a new/used zb50 gas tank off ebay today. This one looks like it does not have any dings or dent from the pictures. Just needs new paint and stickers. Got it for only $76 which, as some of you know, is a steal for this bike. I'm quite happy with this purchase. I now have the ability to sell one of the tanks after i fix them up for a good chunk of change. A tank in mint condition would probably fetch me what i paid for the bike iteself. So that's a huge plus.

Also, upon re-installing the carb on the intake manifold, i found that not one but both of the two screws that hold the carb on there would not tighten all the way. Not even snug which means that the threads in the carb body are stripped. This could be a good reason why the bike ran kind of crappy when i first bought the bike not allowing for a tight seal going into the engine. Since they do not make the carb body anymore I decided to just go with 1/8" longer screws and nut on the other end. This was a cheap alternative to buying a new or used carb off of an xr50 or xr70. I really want to keep the original carb on this bike so i went this route.

All i really need now is a new hi-flow air filter to replace the old dirty metal filter and then decide which tank i want to use on the bike. After that i can slap it back together, put some fresh synthetic oil in it and fire it up to see how it runs. If i'm happy, then i get to strip everything down and prep for paint.

Next time i'm in the garage working on it i'll snap some more pics to post.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #55
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #56
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

that tank looks good Kyle. Please fill me in on this Duplicolor paint stripper! I have a TW200 tank with 3 layers of Krylon and the OEM paint that I need to take down to the metal, and that stuff looks like its good. How much $, what kinda prep, how long did it take. I cant believe the ZB has inverted forks, do they actually have fluid and seals?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #57
Bagwell

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

Those forks are only inverted if you have the bike upside down. Nice job on the tank. It looks like that heavy wheel you were using at first took more material off than you would have liked in places. The side you used the stripper on really turned out nice.

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #58
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
that tank looks good Kyle. Please fill me in on this Duplicolor paint stripper! I have a TW200 tank with 3 layers of Krylon and the OEM paint that I need to take down to the metal, and that stuff looks like its good. How much $, what kinda prep, how long did it take. I cant believe the ZB has inverted forks, do they actually have fluid and seals?
Thank you sir! The Duplicolor paint stripper I got at O'riely's autoparts store. Never used the stuff before but i'm very happy with it. You spray evenly onto the desired paint in like 2 layers. In about 5-10 min the paint softens and starts to bubble up. After about 15-20 minutes I was able to take a small metal scraper to it and it basically fell off the tank. The first round/ layer of the paint stripper took off about 95% of all the paint. The 2nd round took the rest off and i finished off the job with a quick light touch of steel wool. In all, it really all came off very easily. Plus i'm sure my neighbors prefer the paint stripper over the angle grinder at night. I think the can was like $5-$6

Actually the forks are not considered inverted but they do have seals and i believe fork oil in them. They feel very smooth and give a very smooth ride for a fiddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell View Post
Those forks are only inverted if you have the bike upside down. Nice job on the tank. It looks like that heavy wheel you were using at first took more material off than you would have liked in places. The side you used the stripper on really turned out nice.
Thank you. It's hard to tell by my crappy cell phone pics but the wheel worked pretty good. It didn't take off more material than i wanted even though it looks that way in the pics. I used a light touch. I should have just used the stripper from the get-go but i wanted to try out my new toy.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #59
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. Make sure you are wearing proper safety gear with angle grinders and even a filter type mask depending on what your sanding or grinding. I've seen some scary working in shops.

As far as the paint stripper goes, make sure your in a well ventalated area. That is potent.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #60
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
As far as the paint stripper goes, make sure your in a well ventalated area. That is potent.
Yeah I'm thinking driveway with a peice of cardboard for sure

Advertisement