MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
htownballa

Feedback Rating: (0)

Dunlop Q2s blow monkey almonds

I have 1 track day on a set of Q2's, and now the front tire wobbles like a . Rim was balanced on a machine at cyclegear, and was fine during the track day. I duct tape my weights, so it hasnt shifted. Looking at the tire over the front fairing, it seems to be geometrically misshaped or something. Has like 80 percent tread left on it too...wtf.

Have a track day coming up Friday and going to get it rebalanced to see if that corrects the issue, if not...gotta buy a new tire. POS.

My rim spins true, but the tire seems to be out of round.
htownballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Q2s bsquared WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 0 06-05-2013 06:35 AM
Anyone ride Dunlop Q2s on the track? ivancuriel Taking it to the Track 20 10-13-2011 03:47 PM
My first blow out... Gixxer-Joy General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 10-10-2008 06:07 PM
Monkey Squeaky Off Topic 9 07-16-2008 01:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
crazivi3tdude
Commander in Chief !!!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Mongoose
C
B
R

Send a message via AIM to crazivi3tdude
i dont know man, you might have a bad apple.
Majority of folks have great success with their Q'2, including me i've been through couple already no problem.

Yes! my name is Ninja!!!
crazivi3tdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

i wanna try the Q2's as my next street tire, i've heard good things.

what track did you run? did you check pressures after every session? what other type of riding are you doing?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Maybe they were under inflated which caused cupping in the tread
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
3xv

Feedback Rating: (3)

Double check that the tire bead is seated completely on the rim. Good luck
3xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Sounds like it is not seated right.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
htownballa

Its seated right. I mounted them myself and took the rim in to get balanced. I did line up the yellow indicator on the sidewall with the valve stem as well.

On a brand new set I had no probs at all on Cresson 1.7 counterclockwise. Pretty aggressive upper lvl 2 rider (1.31 lap times playing around).

There is no tread cupping. Tire wear appears normal...no apparent defects...its just when rolling highway speeds it vibrates to annoying levels. Rotors are true, rim is straight...everything else is normal...its just the tire looks out of round when riding, and its bouncy.

Has never done it with other tires. I just went through some bt 016, metzler m3 before that...no probs.

Its gotta be the tire.

Its a track dedicated bike I just got rebuilt title for and rode on the street for a good second ride out.

Pressures are fine, for street I run 30 cold. Track Ive run 30-31 hot and I check it EVERY session as soon as I come in. I always do that to keep my pressures consistent throughout the day.

Its just a tire I guess. Im not asking if yours is good (or for anyone to dispute the accuracy of what Im saying), but THIS tire on MY bike...is crapola. Rear is fine..its the front.

Im taking it to get rebalanced first since its free...if it persists...I have to buy a new tire. I just think its a waste of 100 bucks if a tire is going to do that in less than 400 miles.

On another note...I dont like the geometry of these dunlops either...too flat in the back...feels squatty.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
htownballa

if anyone has decent takeoffs and will be at ECR this friday...PM me.

If I dont hear from ya by Tomorrow noon...and balancing doesnt fix it...Im buying a new BT003, (which I will likely switch to anyway due to confidence on slower paced tires).

Also, Im not saying that Dunlop makes garbage, Im just saying THIS tire is giving me problems on the front. Thats all. It could be just a bad apple...but I dont like giving my 100+ bucks to a company and experiencing a bad apple. It costs me...so I will not use Dunlops again. Ill stick with Bridgestone or Pirelli.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Take it to Motorcycles Unlimited and have it inspected then
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
htownballa

I found a practically new bt016 front locally for about 50 bucks. only 200 miles on it. If balancing doesnt get rid of the issue...Ill just be getting it in a pinch for this weekend.

Ill ask them to break the bead and reseat the tire before balancing. Im going to complain to them and see if they will replace the tire at partial costs..and upgrade to a new tire. If that doesnt work...bt016 it is.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
htownballa

...rebalanced and still wibble wobbles.

Bad tire, cyclegear is going to replace/mount/and balance a new one for free.

Friggen awesome! Knew there was a benefit for going there.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownballa View Post
...so I will not use Dunlops again. Ill stick with Bridgestone or Pirelli.
You're missing out if you don't try the Dunlop UK NTECs
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
htownballa

Ive heard good things about them, but I dont want to run a 190 rear tire on my rim. Dont have the moola for that level of tire yet.

Cyclegear did me good. They swapped the q2 front (refunded me) since they couldnt exchange it (out of stock), and I ended up paying a 12 buck difference for a bt003rs for the front, and went ahead and got the rear as well. I think that it will be well suited for my pace. I ended up swapping the q2 front and getting a set of 003rs's for 160+ tax after the swap in. Cant complain as they are great tires from what I hear from people that use them.

I like the way bridgestone handles better than dunlops anyway. I didnt like the feel of turn in on the dunlops. Pretty dead.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
ohboitony

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750
08 GSXR 750

Thanks for the update! Good luck with this race season...
ohboitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
htownballa

oh, I guess it would help if I shared what the deal was with the q2.

I think it just had a soft spot in the carcass about the size of a fist, that was causing it to warp at speed. Cant think of any other issue that wouldve caused it.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #16
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
oh, I guess it would help if I shared what the deal was with the q2.

I think it just had a soft spot in the carcass about the size of a fist, that was causing it to warp at speed. Cant think of any other issue that wouldve caused it.
Werd Im glad they hooked u up...BT003RS are the shiznit...I like em alot and I would say im a moderate level 2 rider

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
scuseme

Bike(s):
'07 Yahama R6
SV650 Racebike

Quote:
Ive heard good things about them, but I dont want to run a 190 rear tire on my rim. Dont have the moola for that level of tire yet.

Cyclegear did me good. They swapped the q2 front (refunded me) since they couldnt exchange it (out of stock), and I ended up paying a 12 buck difference for a bt003rs for the front, and went ahead and got the rear as well. I think that it will be well suited for my pace. I ended up swapping the q2 front and getting a set of 003rs's for 160+ tax after the swap in. Cant complain as they are great tires from what I hear from people that use them.

I like the way bridgestone handles better than dunlops anyway. I didnt like the feel of turn in on the dunlops. Pretty dead.
Glad the boys took good care of you! Remember, Cycle Gear has a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy--when we say it, whe mean it!
scuseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
htownballa

Yep...Im happy with Cyclegear so far. Everyone that works there has been super cool to me. I see a lot of the guys at the track (store manager) and they are always nice. I have no complaints yet. Almost would like to work there but pay is not great (although the perks are good though).

Got em both mounted now..just gonna stow away the q2 rear...and I have another metzler m3 take off Ill probably burn through during the off season just playing on the backroads.

Just a quick question for those of you that have been using the 003rs, what pressures are recommended Hot! I recal John at SCRC saying 39 front and 40 rear.

j/k... he said 30-31 f / 28-29 r HOT.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #19
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

i have a front BT016 with 1 trackday on it, $49 lol. i'll be at ECR saturday & sunday. pm if you want me to bring it.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
htownballa

rofl. Thats funny. Make it 48.50 and you got a deal. I appreciate the offer, but Im good for now. I think as much as I ride I will get at least 2 track days and a little street riding on this set.

Advertisement