MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Yamaha to delay Valentino Rossi's Ducati debut?

Quote:
Hopes of an amiable conclusion to Valentino Rossi's Yamaha MotoGP career are in jeopardy, after doubts were raised over the Italian being allowed to test for Ducati immediately after the Valencia season finale.

Contracts usually run until the end of the calendar year, but as a sporting gesture most departing riders are given permission to test for their new teams - albeit in plain livery and sometimes without making any public comments - in the time between the end of the racing season and the end of the year.

Under the new cost-cutting testing restrictions, there is only one MotoGP test during that time period, at Valencia in the days immediately after the race - and with winter testing now reduced to a minimum it is more important than ever that a 'new' rider can take part.

Ducati has already given Casey Stoner permission to test for Honda at Valencia, but the final line in a story on the official MotoGP website casts doubt on whether Yamaha will - as had been expected - allow Rossi to ride the Ducati.

It says: "[Rossi hopes] to be able to ride the Ducati for the first time at the end-of-season Valencia test. Masao Furusawa, Executive Officer of Engineering Operations at Yamaha, indicated however that this was unlikely due to contractual agreements."

Honda had prevented Rossi from testing for Yamaha at the end of 2003 - the last time he changed teams - although Rossi was able to make up for lost time in early 2004, due to few testing restrictions at that time.

Regarding the possibility that Yamaha wouldn't let him test for Ducati at Valencia, Rossi reacted as follows:

"If Yamaha say no I'll be very upset and sad," the reigning seven time world champion told motogp.com.

"All the other riders in history try the bike and now we don't have many tests.

"Only Honda have said no to me in the past and that relationship was very different to the one between me and Yamaha. I hope!

"If I can't do it then I don't understand the relationship between me and Yamaha."
http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/162...ati_debut.html

Fuggers
so do Yamaha really want a freshly motivated and an angry Rossi to race next year??
Did they learn nothing from his exit from Honda??
Commercially he's the face of Yamaha motorcycles and now they want to him off???
Seems very short sighted to me.
We're talking about pretty much one test before Xmas afterall.
Rossi gave them a choice, it's me or Lorenzo, they chose Lorenzo, now let the man go and do his stuff
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valentino Rossi gets reacquainted with his Yamaha sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-16-2013 03:25 PM
Valentino Rossi & DUCATI - Test Valencia 2010 omer General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-09-2011 11:31 AM
Valentino Rossi, Nicky Hayden and the Ducati Desmosedici GP11 gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 01-16-2011 03:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Did they really choose Lorenzo? Per my understainding they made an offer to Valentino but, they could match what Ducati was paying.

Anyway, Valentino will do well even without the Valencia test.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Fuggers
so do Yamaha really want a freshly motivated and an angry Rossi to race next year??
Did they learn nothing from his exit from Honda??
Commercially he's the face of Yamaha motorcycles and now they want to him off???
Seems very short sighted to me.
We're talking about pretty much one test before Xmas afterall.
Rossi gave them a choice, it's me or Lorenzo, they chose Lorenzo, now let the man go and do his stuff
Not to stereotype but rather comment on a culture; there are still many Japanese that take these types of moves as disrespectful. I think the Yamaha "family" was insulted that Rossi chose to leave, and they feel disrespected after taking him in as a "son". I don't think they chose Lorenzo over Rossi, I think they still wanted to have both and were happy having Spies in the wings in case Rossi or Lorenzo left to fill which ever spot.

If all of the things that the paid riders say are true about being in the Yamaha family, I can see why they would be upset. From a really far outside perspective, it makes sense.

But there is no arguing that I agree with your last statement Mike- he made a choice, don't be a , let the man go do his business. I agree that they are stirring a hornet's nest by reinvigorating Rossi and giving him a serious reason to hand Lorenzo and Spies their proverbial next season on the Duc.

On another note, can you imagine the amount of glitz/ glamour and magestry that is going to be the Rossi Ducati Show next season? Man o'man...
Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Funny how other riders get the "sporting gesture" to test with their new bike/team after the final race of the year... but when it comes to Rossi, this would be the second time this happens to him.

Behind the scenes, I'm sure Rossi's happy-go-lucky attitude goes out the window when he doesn't get what he wants.... which would definitely rub Yamaha the wrong way and push back.

Furthermore, he's a lame duck rider... on his way out. They got what they wanted from Rossi and paid him well for it so they could give a rip what Rossi wants if he's not showing Yamaha mgmt. some respect.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD View Post
Funny how other riders get the "sporting gesture" to test with their new bike/team after the final race of the year... but when it comes to Rossi, this would be the second time this happens to him.

Behind the scenes, I'm sure Rossi's happy-go-lucky attitude goes out the window when he doesn't get what he wants.... which would definitely rub Yamaha the wrong way and push back.

Furthermore, he's a lame duck rider... on his way out. They got what they wanted from Rossi and paid him well for it so they could give a rip what Rossi wants if he's not showing Yamaha mgmt. some respect.
A lot of folks specially Grinchy still don't get that.

Grinchy wrote - so do Yamaha really want a freshly motivated and an angry Rossi to race next year?? -

That sounded like an elementary school comment, so he only gets motivated to beat someone's but when he is treated bad, or he drops the bike on the wet, or he gets injured? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The challenge motivates flossi. get with the program ducati lover, i mean flossi lover
Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

ohh i forgot to mention. JLo just asked for more money now that flossi is gone. Rumor is JB will be Dingos Master behind the Honda unless Marlboro accepts the fact the JB and flossi must go together and off some italians.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Did they really choose Lorenzo? Per my understainding they made an offer to Valentino but, they could match what Ducati was paying.

Anyway, Valentino will do well even without the Valencia test.
Valentino made no secret of it earlier in the year, it's him or me although I'm sure the money played a factor too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Not to stereotype but rather comment on a culture; there are still many Japanese that take these types of moves as disrespectful. I think the Yamaha "family" was insulted that Rossi chose to leave, and they feel disrespected after taking him in as a "son". I don't think they chose Lorenzo over Rossi, I think they still wanted to have both and were happy having Spies in the wings in case Rossi or Lorenzo left to fill which ever spot.

If all of the things that the paid riders say are true about being in the Yamaha family, I can see why they would be upset. From a really far outside perspective, it makes sense.

But there is no arguing that I agree with your last statement Mike- he made a choice, don't be a , let the man go do his business. I agree that they are stirring a hornet's nest by reinvigorating Rossi and giving him a serious reason to hand Lorenzo and Spies their proverbial next season on the Duc.

On another note, can you imagine the amount of glitz/ glamour and magestry that is going to be the Rossi Ducati Show next season? Man o'man...
That's a good angle Tom

Quote:

I don't think he's that different to most of the top flight,
only he has the resume to back it up,
Let us not forget that Yamaha were headed in the same direction as Suzuki and Kawasaki until 2004.
He has brought them the World Championships and turned the mid pack M1 into the most desirable MotoGP race bike of the present after doing exactly the same with the V5 Honda.
He was rewarded handsomely and in return gave Yamaha what no other single rider has been able to equal in their racing history.
A fair return IMO.
Now he wants out (for whatever reason), good sportsmanship and business sense should prevail as in the case of Stoner to Honda.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
A lot of folks specially Grinchy still don't get that.

Grinchy wrote - so do Yamaha really want a freshly motivated and an angry Rossi to race next year?? -

That sounded like an elementary school comment, so he only gets motivated to beat someone's but when he is treated bad, or he drops the bike on the wet, or he gets injured? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The challenge motivates flossi. get with the program ducati lover, i mean flossi lover

what a load of twaddle
you think he raced Sete just like everyone else??
you think Max Biaggi was just another competitor??
you think Repsol Honda and HRC are just another team out there to him??
dude, those paint fumes are messing you up

just be glad that next season you'll be able to come round James's place to watch MotoGP and have a No1 factory Ducati rider capable of making it around the sighting lap...........................
Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
The Habernatho

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

Quote:

Granted he might not be in his own league anymore, but I think it's a little too early to just throw in the towel. I think next season should be an interesting field to watch.
The Habernatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
... have a No1 factory Ducati rider capable of making it around the sighting lap...........................

CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

you think he raced Sete just like everyone else?? No, he represented a challenge and wanted to beat him.
you think Max Biaggi was just another competitor?? No, he represented a challenge and wanted to beat him.
you think Repsol Honda and HRC are just another team out there to him??No, they represented a challenge and wanted to beat him.
DUDEEEEEE, stop going fishing, the waves are messing you up, take some dramamine.

You think he cares if your name is sete, max, spies, dingo, pedrosa, lorenzo or roger hayden, if you represent a challenge to him he will want to beat you, not because Mladin said that uccio and flossi are pillow biters that means he will want to beat Mladin more, he will want to beat mladin cause he will represent a chanllenge, doood flossi doesn't do track days He is a narcisist (sp), he will want to be the best no matter who you are or what you did to him, they all are enemies.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:

what a load of twaddle
you think he raced Sete just like everyone else??
you think Max Biaggi was just another competitor??
you think Repsol Honda and HRC are just another team out there to him??
dude, those paint fumes are messing you up

just be glad that next season you'll be able to come round James's place to watch MotoGP and have a No1 factory Ducati rider capable of making it around the sighting lap...........................
OH BTW it will be at my place and you are not invited because you attacked me. mmmmmmm That sounded like coming out of flossis mouth or yours
Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

Marlboro pay the riders wages at Ducati so I would think that that was a battle Yamaha would always loose.
I think the Chihuahua really wants a go at JLo in manner that being team mates simply won't allow. The racing has become dull just a lately so the way this is lining up we could be looking at another 2009 and seeing some real racing.
I'm even looking forward to seeing Moaner having a go, my hats off to that lad wringing the neck of that Italian lump can't have been easy.
Shut this season down now and get ready for next.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement