MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
pers785

Feedback Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to pers785
Can you Trust a Company Check?

I just got a call from a well-known company here in Houston that is interested in purchasing my bike. The weird thing is that they were only interested in purchasing it (for my asking price which seemed like a plus) with a company check. I told them that I was only interested in cash, and they said that if it would make me feel better that I could keep the title of the bike until the check clears and then sign the title over. Either way I said I was only interested in cash, and if they wanted the bike bad enough they could go cash their own check and bring that by.

I was just trying to figure out what makes them soo adamant about buying it with a company check instead of cash, especially if theyre letting me keep the title until it clears. weeeeeeeeeeird
pers785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why I really only riding with those I trust!! UniFiddy Super Motards 10 06-29-2014 10:40 AM
Never trust the manual darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-26-2013 07:40 PM
would you trust this?? Duck84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 04-16-2008 12:13 AM
Do you trust me? ArturoC Off Topic 1 09-23-2006 07:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

do a BBB search on them. That's probably OK since they can't sell the bike without the title(legally anyhow). will they get you a cashiers check? also, PM me their info, I'm selling my bike.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

pm the info , blab their name out here, enquiring minds wanna know

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Accept the check and go the their bank and cash it. Hold on to the title until it clears. I see no problem here bro companies typically do not pay in cash.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
pers785

Hmmm, i dont like calling companies out, and I mean it may be legit and everything, but it just sounded WEIRD. I asked him why he couldnt go cash the check himself, and he said that he didnt want to go through the hassle of going to a bank and cashing it, and then delivering the cash to me. WELLLLLL, I would have to the EXACT same thing, so if its a hassle to you, it'd be a hassle to me as well. Anyways, its a well known company that likes to buy and sell bikes (maybe for a little more), and the name has come up on this forum QUITE a bit.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
If your that worried, have a friend go with you to the place, leave him with the title and the bike, run to the bank and cash it, when you have cash in hand, call the friend to hand over the goods.

BTW any dealer has a bond that they have to have, for cars I know it's $25,000 for bikes I THINK it's around $10,000 but dunno on that one. If the check bounces (if thats what your worried about) you can file on their bond and get the cash amount.. and btw, no dealer wants to have their bond filed against because thats the worst thing they could have happen to them.

If they offered to let you keep the title I would feel comfortable with it.
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I wouldn't trust it. Why would a 'company' be buying the bike, rather than an individual if it's not wholesale? Doesn't make sense. I'd pass.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Most companies need to pay with a check to the person they are buying the bike from, for accounting purposes. If it's a larger shop it's probably difficult, if not almost impossible to make a check out in the employees name for "cash" to buy a bike. The accountant as well as the IRs would raise a few eyebrows on that one.
If it's a company check, just take it to the bank it's drawn on and cash it. Then bring them the title. If the bank it's drawn on won't cash it, go get your bike back and flame the company on the board.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Heres the deal, if they are eager enough to give you your asking price, chances are they have it "pre-sold" and thats why they are so eager.
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

You're good to go bro, check your PM's. Sell that , they'll sell it with no problems. They have been doing business in Houston for years for a reason, they're good at it. Where did you post the bike for sale? craigslist? they bought my buddies bike out of the greensheet.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
I wouldn't trust it. Why would a 'company' be buying the bike, rather than an individual if it's not wholesale? Doesn't make sense. I'd pass.

Maybe he's selling it for a good price, I sell stuff to companies all the time as long as I'm in it right.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #12
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Maybe he's selling it for a good price, I sell stuff to companies all the time as long as I'm in it right.

:dontknow:
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

You're also correct on the bond, it's $25,000, if a shop gets filed on they can their GDN license and not be able to sell bikes anymore, plus a hefty fine.
If it's a well established company I'd take the check and be done with it.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

It's 25k for bikes too? Phew!

/hijack
Old 07-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
pers785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
You're also correct on the bond, it's $25,000, if a shop gets filed on they can their GDN license and not be able to sell bikes anymore, plus a hefty fine.
If it's a well established company I'd take the check and be done with it.
Well when I had finsihed talking to them originally, I told them I didnt want anything but cash (because the check thing freaked me out). They said they would think about it and call me back. I guess well see what happens, but its good to know that theres bonds and what not to keep the checks legit.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Most companies need to pay with a check to the person they are buying the bike from, for accounting purposes. If it's a larger shop it's probably difficult, if not almost impossible to make a check out in the employees name for "cash" to buy a bike. The accountant as well as the IRs would raise a few eyebrows on that one.
If it's a company check, just take it to the bank it's drawn on and cash it. Then bring them the title. If the bank it's drawn on won't cash it, go get your bike back and flame the company on the board.
+1, we buy bikes all the time, but only with a check. The IRS (and our accountant) doesn't like "cash deals", it raises major red flags.

Challen
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #17
yankee

Bike(s):
08 HD Nightster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers785
Hmmm, i dont like calling companies out, and I mean it may be legit and everything, but it just sounded WEIRD. I asked him why he couldnt go cash the check himself, and he said that he didnt want to go through the hassle of going to a bank and cashing it, and then delivering the cash to me. WELLLLLL, I would have to the EXACT same thing, so if its a hassle to you, it'd be a hassle to me as well. Anyways, its a well known company that likes to buy and sell bikes (maybe for a little more), and the name has come up on this forum QUITE a bit.
If it makes you feel better about the deal, Eximports bought my friends bike (Quackmire) a few weeks ago and told him the same thing, they didnt want to pay cash. Long story short he sold them the bike and the check cleared no problems. Just stick to your asking price.
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #18
The Menace
We Fly HI

Bike(s):
CR250,CR450,Kx125 Fmx out, and 2 50's 1 real 1 knock off

more then likly the company he is talking about is Eximports and they are legit when it comes to checks.. that is how all companys buy bikes off of people beacsue if that person works at the company and they would like to purchase it, it is much easer to do a company check. the IRA and the bookeepers and the bank all would raise till they foudn out what was going on but if u send a company check its a much easer process. i know this for a fact since i deal with company checks and buy and selling stuff all day long.
The Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #19
firegirlqn

Bike(s):
None, But come January......

Send a message via AIM to firegirlqn Send a message via Yahoo to firegirlqn
they probaly want records of the bike being bought, maybe for tax purposes. If it's bought by a company, they can write it off at the end of the year as a comapny expense.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #20
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

He shoulda said a 'dealer' instead of 'company'. That made it sound too fishy.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404

Advertisement