MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Father of Two

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha Roadliner 1900
98 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (sold)
85 Ninja 600 (sold years ago)
96 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 (sold)

Angry Craigslist Pricing Rant

I sold my Suzuki Bandit 1200 a few weeks ago and I was going to buy a cruiser but the thing got sold before I had the cash. So I've been hitting Craigslist a few times a week checking out what's for sale, within my price range (under $2000).

When I find a bike I'm interested in, I hop over to NADAGuides.com and look up the price. Then I go to eBay and look through the completed listings for the same year/make/model, and finally I search AllOfCraigs.com for pricing all across the country. I think it's only fair to get the market price of the bike before deciding if the bike is over/under priced.

So I found this Honda and the seller is asking over $2100. I sent him 4 screen caps of his same bike model, newer years (his exact year wasn't in the completed section), and all 4 bikes were a lot cleaner than this local guy. All 4 bikes were "not sold" status and bidding got up to a little over $1500 on all of them. He sent me a reply that he had some interested people coming to look at it and he wasn't going lower than $1800. Keep in mind, nothing special about this bike at all (stock everything).

So do some CL sellers just pull prices out their ? How many Honda Shadows appreciate/hold their value?? Buying that bike at $1800 is like throwing $300 out the window, unless you plan on keeping bike for a long time. And I like the way some CL sellers think their bike is the only deal around when in fact a buyer (like me) can be as patient as I want. That CL seller is going to have to deal with emails, phone calls, tire kickers, low ballers, no-shows, and just plain making time to show bike... And here I am, done my frickin' research and I'm offering him cash for the market value of his bike and he's like, "no thanks."

Am I wrong on this? My money situation is tight so I have to be wise with the way I spend. I'm not saying that I'm looking to low ball someone but it only takes 2 minutes to see the market value of bike.
Father of Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craigslist rant kdog22 Off Topic 15 06-14-2011 08:09 AM
Over pricing? specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 06-25-2009 03:08 PM
Fair warning: RANT, long rant tyme2move General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 09-03-2008 07:49 AM
rant on craigslist infidel Off Topic 11 01-29-2007 12:35 PM
May pricing arturo3rd New Riders and MSF Course Info 6 05-24-2006 06:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
landon05

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Gsxr- 600 (wrecked)
2006 gsxr-750 custom painted by "House of Pain" SOLD!!!
LOOKING FOR A GSXR 1000

Send a message via AIM to landon05
be patient brother... your good deal will come
landon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Father of Two

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon05 View Post
be patient brother... your good deal will come
Thanks Landon05, I appreciate those words! I guess I'm just upset because I have cash in hand and I'm offering market value (taking into consideration any upgrades). So I'm not trying to lowball a seller, that's why I always send screen captures of the prices I find. Of course the seller doesn't see it that way... How much "evidence" does a buyer have to present to a seller before the seller is convinced their prices are too high??
Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
landon05

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Gsxr- 600 (wrecked)
2006 gsxr-750 custom painted by "House of Pain" SOLD!!!
LOOKING FOR A GSXR 1000

Send a message via AIM to landon05
Every seller is different; A lot of times some sellers are "just testing the waters" and not really sure if they want to sell or not so they tend to be hesitant. Some sellers dont have to sell and may be looking to upgrade and waiting to find the other bike they looking to get. Thats why you have to be patient even with cash in hand and watch what type of deals you come across
landon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

It is kinda frustrating but still, that's just universal. You selling... you want the highest price possible. You buying, you want the lowest price possible. Emailing someone screen shots of cheaper bikes is kinda passive aggressive. If someone emailed me I'd be like, "Yeah so what, you buddy, then go buy that cheaper bike and quit hassling me!" NADA values and Ebay are good indicators of a bike's general worth, but no match for the owner's perception.

I've got an '06 gixxer with 7k miles, bone stock that I think is worth $10k, while anyone else will tell you gixxers are a dime a dozen. Like Landon said... patience is your friend. Good luck!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

also consider the demand for a $2k bike, i bet there's a lot vs a $9k bike or a $13k bike.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

[QUOTE=Helios;2609133] If someone emailed me I'd be like, "Yeah so what, you buddy, then go buy that cheaper bike and quit hassling me!" QUOTE]

A item is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay and not a penny more.

If you "want" something that someone is selling you place a value on it,
let them know you are willing to pay it in cash right now. They will either
consider if fair or not. If not, hounding them is just being a ...

Somebody does that to me I'll give it away to someone else before I
will sell it to them on principle.

Just saying...
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I hate when I'm cheap and people want more money than I wanna pay.LOL
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

you are way wrong, pricing doesnt hold true for the whole country, and if I was selling the bike and you sent me pictures showing some are cheaper and cleaner, I would tell you to go get 'em. either buy his for his asking price, negotiate a better price in person with cash in hand, or keep looking. simple

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father of Two View Post
Thanks Landon05, I appreciate those words! I guess I'm just upset because I have cash in hand and I'm offering market value (taking into consideration any upgrades). So I'm not trying to lowball a seller, that's why I always send screen captures of the prices I find. Of course the seller doesn't see it that way... How much "evidence" does a buyer have to present to a seller before the seller is convinced their prices are too high??
the items value is mainly based on what the seller thinks its worth and what the buyer is willing to pay. make an offer, if he says no, move on.
You trying to convince a seller you are at the market price and he should take it is humorous.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
Mr.D

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
the items value is mainly based on what the seller thinks its worth and what the buyer is willing to pay. make an offer, if he says no, move on.
You trying to convince a seller you are at the market price and he should take it is humorous.
+1

Summer time is coming to an end and all the weekend riders will be looking to get rid of their bikes. Especially during the winter months. You can find some amazing deals.

Just wait buddy.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Tony919

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2005 Sv650
1998 Triumph Sprint Executive
2004 Honda 919 (sold)
2003 ZR-7S (sold)
1999 Honda Magna (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
you are way wrong, pricing doesnt hold true for the whole country, and if I was selling the bike and you sent me pictures showing some are cheaper and cleaner, I would tell you to go get 'em. either buy his for his asking price, negotiate a better price in person with cash in hand, or keep looking. simple
+1
Tony919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

if you want to bring a guys p[rice down go look at the bike, find flaws, problems or other items on that bike that make it less valuable. make a connection with the seller, he may like you and be willing to come down some.
sending a list of other bikes and telling him he is asking too much is a great way to the seller off.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

After the BS email I would raise my price 1000.00
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

It is up to the seller to decide what it is worth to sell his motorcycle. Not up to the buyer. The price you put on something when selling is the price around where you feel it is "WORTH" giving up your item. Not what someone else thinks it is worth buying. An example, my VFR I can find all day long for $3500-$3800 right now. There is no way in I would sell it for that. I wouldn't take any less than $4k. Period. But I'm not hurting for money so I would stick to my guns no matter how many examples were shown to me.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Theres always going to be people who are willing to pay more, just like you can always find a better deal. It requires patients on both ends.

Just make an offer and move on. Its always best to make a cash offer in person. People tend to stick to their guns through email/phone, but when they actually SEE the CASH, its a different story. Especially, if its a reasonable offer.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
Father of Two

Bike(s):

Thanks everyone for your feedback and criticism. Lots of excellent points brought up. Just to clear 1 point up though: I only pull up the eBay completed listings, the bikes that have either sold or had bids placed on them. I used to do a little eBay selling at one point and used Terapeak.com religiously so maybe that's why I do a price comparison.

The other thing you guys made me realize is the price point I'm at. There is a definite difference between a buyer with $2k to spend and one with $10k to spend. I do have a difference of opinion as far as motorcycle values across the country though. All things being equal (summer time coast to coast, it's hot out, school's out of session, etc) there isn't much of a difference in a bikes value. Of course when it starts turning cold up north, we're still happy campers here with nice weather... I think pricing comparison's a affected a bit more. And I realize that a $5k snow machine up north in winter won't fetch too much if being sold in Brownsville, TX.

Just for the record, I'm not saying to lowball a seller by any means.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You should also take into consideration regions. Some areas have more people out of work or tighter with money. City to city its gonna be different. Some areas have more people in a bind.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
Father of Two

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
You should also take into consideration regions. Some areas have more people out of work or tighter with money. City to city its gonna be different. Some areas have more people in a bind.
You're right, different parts of country have been hit harder than others. It amazes me how many people keep moving to Houston from around the country because our job market is one of the best. No offense to anyone out of work here in though... :(
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I just became out of work this AM.lol

Advertisement