MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

E-mail from motodepot.com

Ever wonder why, when you're shopping for something online, every business is selling your item at exactly the same price? There's a reason for that. It's called a Minimum Advertised Price policy, or MAP.

The people we buy our products from apparently have the right to tell us what our prices, on our websites, HAVE to be. Sure, we're allowed to sell their stuff for whatever we want, we just can't use our websites to tell you what that price is.

And a few manufacturers are telling us that, on our websites, we're not allowed to even HINT that we sell their stuff below their MAP. No "call for our best price," or anything like that.

So what does that mean to you? It means that small shops like MotoDepot can no longer compete on price and will soon be out of the motorcycle accessory retail business. For you, it means you no longer have the choice to search for your best deal on the Internet. You would have to personally phone up every shop in the country to find out what their price is on the item you want.

And for what? Why do they want to make you do that? Good question. I seriously don't have a clue. Why would the manufacturer care if I sell something that costs me $300 for $301? They've made their money on the product. Let me make mine. Allow me to make it easier for you, the customer, to find your best deal. Nope. Apparently they couldn't care less about you or small shops like MotoDepot. Cater to the big guys and pretty soon there will be no discounts anywhere. Because there is no competition any more.

Welcome to corporate control of the Internet folks. Awesome.

sucks

i know, i know keep it local, but still sucks none the less.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just got these in the mail omer Gear Talk 3 03-24-2011 12:29 AM
Lawyer by mail NewRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-29-2010 08:58 PM
Mail Lotto NgaWhat The Circus 3 05-20-2010 08:37 AM
Crazy E-Mail C.Hern5972 Off Topic 26 06-29-2009 05:30 PM
E-Mail Forwarding fuknrobert Off Topic 0 07-21-2006 03:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Infinite
night prowler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600RR (sold)
06 GSXR 600 (sold)
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
93 CBR 900 (sold)
06 RC51 (sold)

bless America, our home sweet home
Infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

what happens if you don't follow their rules? Do they just refuse to sell to you? And out of curiosity, how does a small business make a profit when they sell at a smaller volume at cheaper prices? Does a lower overhead really make up the difference?

I still think it is wrong that they can tell you what to do regardless.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Well there are actually alot of websites on ebay that still use the call us for price, thats how I buy all my gear, Arai 200$ cheaper than anyone else is a good feeling.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
lostner

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx

The internet turns otherwise unique products into commodities. Customer service then becomes the only difference.
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

When I manufactured and sold the TK Sliders, the jeep swaybar disconnect system I designed. I would sell them for 120 a pair and mandated the distributors did the same thing.
In the "jeep" or "rockclimbing" industry, its small, but big if that makes any sense. Everybody knows where to get your item and if they can get it cheaper somewhere else, they will do that and then blast it out.
result is the lower vender gets slammed with orders and all the other sit stagnate.
I started making sure they kept to the same scale and everybody was happy, all the vendors get sales and profits, and customers get their product for the price it was intended to be marketed at. Everybody is happy, when there was a 5 - 10 dollar difference, nobody was happy.

btw, I'm sorry for the spot your in, I know first hand how tough it is trying to survive with your own small biz in this economy. I wish you luck and if you do fold, dont sweat it, come back bigger and better and more aware.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ScooterTrash; 07-31-2010 at 08:43 AM.
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostner View Post
The internet turns otherwise unique products into commodities. Customer service then becomes the only difference.
agreed

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement