MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #21
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Just kick their car, give a dent or break their windows. If htey call teh cops say it was self defense.
My dad used to knock the mirror off. The new ones give, so you probably won't break it. Not saying you should do this, just giving some insight my dad gave me.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

If you're new to riding, here's something I learned early on. Try to learn to repeatedly press your horn and flash the high beams at the same time (left hand index and thumb). Anytime you've gotta pass a blind side, approaching a car that's in the turn lane or near a freeway on/off ramp, try it.
At first you'll feel kinda dorky, until you have enough close calls, then it'll be totally worth it. I call it pinching the big nipple.
Also a buddy of mine suggested I brake hard and swerve whenever there are no cars around, that way the day you need it it'll be second nature and how your bike reacts wont be a big surprise.

I have close calls nearly every single day I ride. Good luck out there.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #23
chrissoto
They all call me Soto

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Stolen)
'09 Honda CBR600RR

Member Garage

I had the same experience on the local streets, not on the freeway too. Some cager not looking just starts coming into my lane, no signal, no nothing! I personally don't like my horn b/c I feel it isn't loud enough, but my pipes sure are. Just twisted the throttle and he heard me and moved back into his lane. But I always keep an eye out on the roads. Front, back and left and right. There are a lot of stupid drivers and almost none of them look before they change lanes and a VERY FEW actually use their signal lights as well!!

But just like yz117 wants to do, I installed the HID lights, both low and high on my bike and I ride with borh of them on during the day. You can't miss me! But I still look out for other cars. You never know who's on their cell phone or just not paying attention.

Morvegil, I have a friend of mine who does that. If a car gets too close to him in his lane, he will kick their car.
chrissoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #24
Deuce
Banged

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 HD NightRod
01 HD FXDWG (RIP)
02 Yamaha XVS1100A (RIP)
99 Hayabusa (RIP)
03 YZF-R1 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yz117 View Post

Wow, so i was cruising down 99 and its 2 lane's so i was in the left third of the left lane and there was a car up right lane about 3 car lengths in front of me. i was doing about ~68 and she was doing about ~63 so i was gaining on her. about 1 car length ahead i speed up to about ~75 to get by her and stay out of her blind spot. So as i was passing by i was about by the passengers window behind the driver i turn my head and see she is coming over im like WTF!! i saw her face she was looking straight at the road she was probably less then a foot away from meet still coming into the lane so i leaned away from her onto the shoulder (on the left its like half car size of concrete)and laid on the horn and then just twisted the throttle and got my self outta there.She didn't even realize that i was there until i zoomed past her from her left.Gave her a piece of my mind and she was like what did i do?

Im so glad nothing happened , got lucky i guess.Thank you .

just thought i'd share.
Thats one thing I prefer my cruisers over my crotch rockets on: the thunder i can blast in their window that scares em half to death. horn? whats a horn?
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #25
yz117

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ6
92 z50 (Stunt it?)
03 Yz125
00 Yz125

My dad told me as a kid someone was riding his on his yamaha 100 enduro back in the day ~ 70's and as it became to a 2 lane road he gave them a nice dent in the driver side door

i want to get pipes because mine are fairly quiet but long story short there expensive.

" To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid "
yz117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #26
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yz117 View Post
My dad told me as a kid someone was riding his on his yamaha 100 enduro back in the day ~ 70's and as it became to a 2 lane road he gave them a nice dent in the driver side door

i want to get pipes because mine are fairly quiet but long story short there expensive.
Cut yours down. There are cheap alternatives.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #27
yz117

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ6
92 z50 (Stunt it?)
03 Yz125
00 Yz125

is there anyway to take my stock Fz6 exhaust and ramp it up? like just pull everything out of them?

" To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid "
yz117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #28
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I wanted to add this... Save your self some trouble. Dont bother going out of your way to signal when your in a bind. Drop a gear and get outta the tight spot. Its faster.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement