MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

im not my favorite mechanic

i tried to do some work on my forks recently. just replacing the seals and changing the oil.
the oil was straight up nasty, so i have to be better off in that respect than how it was, but i know i screwed up on the seals. i dont think the right side seal is in all the way. the left side might be good, but i dont know. there is a little play in the forks if i apply the brakes and rock the bike. at first i thought it was something going on in the front brakes, but it is in the forks.

my maintenance funds are pretty much nonexistent, so a repair shop is not likely.
i could get new seals and fork oil sometime soon, but figured i'd check here to see if anyone has any ideas of stuff to try.
the bike is a 2001 sv650.
i'm open to any ideas. lol, yes, i know, no skills. i fail, etc. i want to get this figured out before i have a major asccident from the breaking while i'm on it.
i the meantime, i think the bike is going back into project status.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im not fat, Im Fluffy! BabyGirlGSXR Health and Fitness 31 04-18-2009 09:46 PM
im off and im bored im gonna go riding anyone else off and bored?8/04/08 Croe Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-04-2008 03:01 PM
Im also bored...and I dont have cable(Cause Im poor now) Slowkat Off Topic 4 07-16-2007 09:23 PM
Im so ****ing off i dont know what to do, im just seeing red. scrapp Off Topic 49 08-30-2006 07:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It sounds like you either did not get the damping rod fully seated before you torqued it or you do not have the upper bushing fully seated.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i tried to do some work on my forks recently. just replacing the seals and changing the oil.
the oil was straight up nasty, so i have to be better off in that respect than how it was, but i know i screwed up on the seals. i dont think the right side seal is in all the way. the left side might be good, but i dont know. there is a little play in the forks if i apply the brakes and rock the bike. at first i thought it was something going on in the front brakes, but it is in the forks.

my maintenance funds are pretty much nonexistent, so a repair shop is not likely.
i could get new seals and fork oil sometime soon, but figured i'd check here to see if anyone has any ideas of stuff to try.
the bike is a 2001 sv650.
i'm open to any ideas. lol, yes, i know, no skills. i fail, etc. i want to get this figured out before i have a major asccident from the breaking while i'm on it.
i the meantime, i think the bike is going back into project status.
If you wanna haul it to tomball I'll take care of it, just get me the parts and oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

you sir, are a badass person.

patrick, thanks for the response. your'e probably right. i just put it back in the same way it came out, but if it is supposed to sit a certain way, i guess i didnt know

hotcknstrips, i think i might take you up on the offer. after payday i should have some fork oil. i hope. that should be it for parts.

also my fork caps are kinda looking now. i didnt have a 21mm box end, and my 21mm socket is for a connection larger than my ratchet. so i used a monkey wrench, which kept slipping. this is one more case of 'i wish i had just taken it to Motorcycles Unlimited again'
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

You have to learn sometime - At least you tried.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

yup.
i was really exited about getting this house last year, mostly because i would have my own garage finally. i wanted to work on my bike and cars in it and save of shop bills. so far that hasnt really worked out for me, lol.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Next time ask for someone that has experience and know how to come supervise . The end result is much better
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i think my biggest problem with this effort was that i hardly had any time to just work on it for an extended period. i usually just spent a moment of just passing through the garage and doing one or 2 little things and then picking up when i came back through.
when i got to the actual part of the oil change i think i did that all together, but i had the bike stripped to a motor on a frame with the wiring harness and rear wheel and all that business back there.
it was time for a cleaning. i also re did some of the wiring in my tail. i think patrick lol'd when he saw my duct taped over wiring for the first time. i'm no electrician and i'm no mechanic. i need to remember these things.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
randomwalk101

Feedback Rating: (1)

Working on bikes can be fun. I enjoy it ad much as riding it. You just need to have the right tools.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement