MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus
 
PowerSurgeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manvel
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 5,735

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i


Member Garage





All the hate on the rear brake lmao..back brake saves lives, see avatar for explanation.
__________________
Stunt riding is dead.
PowerSurgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 zx6r back brake problem. no fly zone 01 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-13-2014 07:58 PM
Tapping back brake In a stoppie Vandals Stunters Lounge 19 10-18-2011 10:36 PM
back brake madness Javi Stunters Lounge 7 01-02-2008 12:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #22
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!
 
floyd600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri city
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 7,235

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP








Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurgeD View Post
All the hate on the rear brake lmao..back brake saves lives, see avatar for explanation.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #23
cajun315
Senior Member
 
cajun315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 133

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX10R
RM450Z





Dude seriously, where the did you learn that brake fluid is soy based? That is so not true, the boiling point of a soy based liquid is nowhere near high enough to be used as brake fluid!

Both dot 3 and 4 are glycol-ether based and dot 5 in silicone based!

Yeah they are all very hydroscopic and will pull water through seals and even through the rubber hoses over time.
Brake fluids should be a light yellow color ( the silicone fluids can be made any color) the darker the fluid the more water contamination that it has, which lowers the boiling point and also allows the fluid to loose it's pressure transfer abilities.

Dell
cajun315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #24
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!
 
floyd600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri city
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 7,235

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP








Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun315 View Post
Dude seriously, where the did you learn that brake fluid is soy based? That is so not true, the boiling point of a soy based liquid is nowhere near high enough to be used as brake fluid!

Both dot 3 and 4 are glycol-ether based and dot 5 in silicone based!

Yeah they are all very hydroscopic and will pull water through seals and even through the rubber hoses over time.
Brake fluids should be a light yellow color ( the silicone fluids can be made any color) the darker the fluid the more water contamination that it has, which lowers the boiling point and also allows the fluid to loose it's pressure transfer abilities.

Dell
...............
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #25
Grimace
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,255

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1











This thread had me LAUGHING MY OFF!!!
__________________
Quote:
For a minute there I thought we were in trouble.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
R1Rider2009
R1
 
R1Rider2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 168

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2008 Victory Vegas Low (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
This thread had me LAUGHING MY OFF!!!
Just look at the lack of gear the guy is wearing in his avatar. Should have been a dead give away.
R1Rider2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #27
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/
 
ddgtomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,493

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S






Most brake fluids used today are glycol-ether based, but mineral oil and silicone (DOT 5) based fluids are also available.
__________________


Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #28
Mayday0017
Senior Member
 
Mayday0017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 385

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike









Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
woah woah time out.... we have back brakes? I thought that was the back it in lever kinda like a wammy bar





Which is why I stay the away from it.... one day though one day......
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
TomballD
Senior Member
 
TomballD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,625

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80






My suggestion is that you take the bike somewhere, if you dont know how to replace pads, bleed fluids and determine if your rotor is within spec then you are taking your life into your hands. Consult a local shop, or have someone knowledgeable help you out. If you use the rear alot then it is time for pads and a fluid change for sure. Pads are only about $30-50, fluid is about $6-10.
__________________
Danny
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
Jerzey
The Trickster
 
Jerzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,381

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport







hey randy. when i 1st started riding i used my back break alot also. over time you will learn to stop using it all togather. the last time i used it was making a right on to woodlands parkway and the car in front of me just stopped for no Fin reason. out of habit i slammed on my back brake befor even touching my front . and hold . back end gave out but i manged to let go of the back brake just in time. and when it cought again holy it alomost threw me over the bike!

if you want to stop by my house i can check it out for you and tell u if u need pads/ or maybe we can just bleed ur rears and see if that help.

lmk
__________________
The one and only .
Jerzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #31
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








The way you describe using your brakes worries me. You are doing it backwards. There is a high probability your use will catch up to you in a matter of time. I really hope this thread opens your eyes. I hope you get it fixed and then learn to use the right way. It could save your life. Im not being an at all. Those front brakes are where it at.
When braking the weight is transferred to the front. This transfer lightens the rear. This means the effectiveness of the rear brakes under emergency situations is nearly 0.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #32
Tri
Senior Member
 
Tri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arctic North
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 700

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6
2005 R6 - Sold :*[








Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey View Post
hey randy. when i 1st started riding i used my back break alot also. over time you will learn to stop using it all togather. the last time i used it was making a right on to woodlands parkway and the car in front of me just stopped for no Fin reason. out of habit i slammed on my back brake befor even touching my front . and hold . back end gave out but i manged to let go of the back brake just in time. and when it cought again holy it alomost threw me over the bike!

if you want to stop by my house i can check it out for you and tell u if u need pads/ or maybe we can just bleed ur rears and see if that help.

lmk
if i remember correctly, if you lock you're rear like that, you're supposed to keep it locked and ride it out. otherwise you'll high side like what almost happened to you.

if you lock your front, let go for a split second and re-apply.


http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Riding_Tips.pdf
__________________
YuT uGhhh

Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Jerzey
The Trickster
 
Jerzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,381

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport







Quote:
Originally Posted by trilai View Post
if i remember correctly, if you lock you're rear like that, you're supposed to keep it locked and ride it out. otherwise you'll high side like what almost happened to you.

if you lock your front, let go for a split second and re-apply.


http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Riding_Tips.pdf
yea i know that. but in my situsation if i kept it locked i would have lowsided. so either one whould have caused me to come off the bike. good thing i was going slow enff for it not to throw me off wen i let go.. lesson learned
__________________
The one and only .
Jerzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #34
Tri
Senior Member
 
Tri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arctic North
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 700

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6
2005 R6 - Sold :*[








Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey View Post
yea i know that. but in my situsation if i kept it locked i would have lowsided. so either one whould have caused me to come off the bike. good thing i was going slow enff for it not to throw me off wen i let go.. lesson learned
glad u came out if it ok with just a pucker moment and nothing else.
__________________
YuT uGhhh

Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #35
Randy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 106

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Honda RC51









Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Rider2009 View Post
Just look at the lack of gear the guy is wearing in his avatar. Should have been a dead give away.
It was for a picture? Do you see me going at all? Lets see look at your avatar.. should i assume Your bike is going by it self since your not on it? You shouldn't speak on the stuff that your uneducated on like if I was riding like that or not. Which is why i asked about the brakes since I didn't know mayne.
__________________
Freedom Aint Free
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #36
callmefong
Leanin' like a gas gauge!
 
callmefong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pasadena, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 195

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
07 GSX-R 600









Send a message via AIM to callmefong
*grabs a bag of popcorn*
callmefong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #37
R1Rider2009
R1
 
R1Rider2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 168

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2008 Victory Vegas Low (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
It was for a picture? Do you see me going at all? Lets see look at your avatar.. should i assume Your bike is going by it self since your not on it? You shouldn't speak on the stuff that your uneducated on like if I was riding like that or not. Which is why i asked about the brakes since I didn't know mayne.
I am educated enough to count the multiple grammar errors in your sentences!
R1Rider2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #38
R1Rider2009
R1
 
R1Rider2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 168

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2008 Victory Vegas Low (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (sold)

Member Garage





Seriously though, if you live in Spring you are really close to Awesome Cycles. They teach the MSF class and you can learn a lot about riding correctly just in their parking lot.

http://www.awesomecycles.com/
R1Rider2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #39
AJFLo
Senior Member
 
AJFLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 8,621

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50





I used my rear brakes alot on the street to save my front brakes for aggresive riding
__________________
sigpic6669 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #40
Randy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 106

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Honda RC51









Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Rider2009 View Post
Seriously though, if you live in Spring you are really close to Awesome Cycles. They teach the MSF class and you can learn a lot about riding correctly just in their parking lot.

http://www.awesomecycles.com/
I went there lol thats where i got my safety riding course hahaha
__________________
Freedom Aint Free
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy