MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
bigjay77

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
01 yzf-r6 painters tape edition, 98 superhawk 996

Send a message via Yahoo to bigjay77
track times...

Ok, question is whats the average lap time for novice and experts at MSRH....I just wanted to get a feel for the speed needed to be fast there.

Last edited by bigjay77; 07-09-2006 at 01:19 PM.
bigjay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
this is what track days are all about.. . good times floyd600 Taking it to the Track 2 10-29-2012 08:44 PM
Track times at MSRH GIXXERKELLY Taking it to the Track 2 10-22-2012 11:22 PM
Track 21 Lap Times cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 01-02-2010 03:28 PM
MSR-Cresson Lap Times - Track Day Times cdill35 Taking it to the Track 28 11-11-2008 04:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

it'll take you several T/D's to get comfy enough to run a decent time. Times aren't that important. gotta learn how to go around the track first.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

i havent pushed it enough there up try and time myself. carbonr1 is an expert and can probaly show yoy the lines
Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
bigjay77

Bike(s):
01 yzf-r6 painters tape edition, 98 superhawk 996

Send a message via Yahoo to bigjay77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
it'll take you several T/D's to get comfy enough to run a decent time. Times aren't that important. gotta learn how to go around the track first.

i didnt mean for me...my brother asked that question to me i didnt know, i meant i general. i just wanted to know the times also. yeah i wanna get more seat time b4 i even goto the track, but now i know that i like it at least, i only have about 2k miles so far freeway and street, so i got alot of learning to do, i just wanted to know i general the times....... thanks anyway :icon_bigg
Old 07-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
rickykline
super squid

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

lap record is about 1:41

I WISH MY GRASS WAS EMO SO IT WOULD CUT ITSELF....
rickykline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjay77
Ok, question is whats the average lap time for novice and experts at MSRH....I just wanted to get a feel for the speed needed to be fast there.
ah... ok... well... probably a better way to gauge speed is by the 'pace' of each group... as you are probably aware, there are three groups - beginner, intermediate and racer

well... within the racer group - THAT'S where you find novices/experts...

novice time would probably be gianni/ufo34/carbonr1... they're all hella fast... expert would probably someone like jason keene, the lms school instructor...

there are also pro's in the racer group... like haner & sanchez...

but carbonr1 or buck can probably tell you what the average 'pace' is for the beginner, intermediate & racer groups out there...

but the initial focus for a new track rider should not be on lap times, but rather maintaining proper form, holding proper lines and maintaining throttle and breaking control through the turns...

Last edited by SBK Pilot; 07-09-2006 at 01:52 PM.
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Without there being any races held out there yet, it would be hard to say. Hopefully next year CMRA will race there next year and we will see.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i would say just guessing
Nov. somewhere around 2:15 to 2:30

Inter. around 1:58 to 2:15

Expert. 1:50's down to like Henry said, in the low 1:40's and that's for the guys who live on that track..
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
MadseasoN

Quote:

Expert. 1:50's down to like Henry said, in the low 1:40's and that's for the guys who live on that track..
That's a good guess. I cornerworked today and timed quite a few riders. This is what most of them in each group are running.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjay77
i didnt mean for me...my brother asked that question to me i didnt know, i meant i general. i just wanted to know the times also. yeah i wanna get more seat time b4 i even goto the track, but now i know that i like it at least, i only have about 2k miles so far freeway and street, so i got alot of learning to do, i just wanted to know i general the times....... thanks anyway :icon_bigg
The best place to learn IS the track. You will learn more in one day there than you will learn in a year on the street about how to ride a motorcycle. The street is WAY too dangerous for riding these bikes the way they were built to run.

As for times, most first time guys are doing wel to be in the 2:teens. The lap record for 1k's is a low :36 by Haner. The 600 record is a low :40. Most of the instructors are capable of high :40's, some in the low :40's. The best way to get fast is by going slow. The old addage is true!! Start in the novice group, pay attention to the instructors, and you'll be throwin' down flyers in short order. Come see us soon.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
The best place to learn IS the track. You will learn more in one day there than you will learn in a year on the street about how to ride a motorcycle. The street is WAY too dangerous for riding these bikes the way they were built to run.

As for times, most first time guys are doing wel to be in the 2:teens. The lap record for 1k's is a low :36 by Haner. The 600 record is a low :40. Most of the instructors are capable of high :40's, some in the low :40's. The best way to get fast is by going slow. The old addage is true!! Start in the novice group, pay attention to the instructors, and you'll be throwin' down flyers in short order. Come see us soon.
I was kind of wondering the same. I had a blast at the BBQ, and it got me wanting to try a trackday. I'm thinking the one on 9/15. . . in novice obviously. The thing is, I only have about 4,000 miles under my belt. I'm not too afraid to lean it over or get into it at all, but I'm not to sure how I would stack up againt the others there. I really just don't want to get in the way of others too much that paid good money to go have fun just to have me hold them back every few laps. Think I'll be ok out there, or should i wait a bit longer? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but I really don't know the avg. skill level out there, and the avg. lap times don't mean much since I've only been around a few times, and at a much slower pace.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #12
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch
I was kind of wondering the same. I had a blast at the BBQ, and it got me wanting to try a trackday. I'm thinking the one on 9/15. . . in novice obviously. The thing is, I only have about 4,000 miles under my belt. I'm not too afraid to lean it over or get into it at all, but I'm not to sure how I would stack up againt the others there. I really just don't want to get in the way of others too much that paid good money to go have fun just to have me hold them back every few laps. Think I'll be ok out there, or should i wait a bit longer? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but I really don't know the avg. skill level out there, and the avg. lap times don't mean much since I've only been around a few times, and at a much slower pace.
get out there. you will be surprised you arent the only one. LMS is a great track day provider.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:03 AM   #13
koskesh
May i go to the Bathroom?

Bike(s):
06 gsxr750

i cant wait to get out there!
koskesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:35 AM   #14
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
my first track day was memorial day and ive been hooked ever since. july 17th wi;; be my 3rd since memorial day. and i have lots more lined up. thanks to art and javi for encouraging me.
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
The best way to get fast is by going slow. The old addage is true!!
Very true! Doing the parade lap on saturday I thought would be a waste of time but it helped to see things at a slow pace, it's like scoping out your shot for pool. Even the motoGP guys usually do a lap or two on scooters before practice to get a feel for the track at a reduced speed.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #16
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

just remember, you may THINK you're fast but, their is always someone faster.. So dont go out there trying to impress someone.. go out spend the day riding at a leisurely pace and have fun.. it's well worth the cost.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #17
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1moto

but the initial focus for a new track rider should not be on lap times, but rather maintaining proper form, holding proper lines and maintaining throttle and braking control through the turns...
this is it right here, for all the new track riders, chances are your not gonna be nicky outta the box. so take your time and learn to ride. you don't get faster by crashing alot. and if you get really serious, you'll try the mini-gp or move to an SV , where HP is not the fix all. learning to ride the bike is alot more important, then what your actually riding.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #18
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
this is it right here, for all the new track riders, chances are your not gonna be nicky outta the box. so take your time and learn to ride. you don't get faster by crashing alot. and if you get really serious, you'll try the mini-gp or move to an SV , where HP is not the fix all. learning to ride the bike is alot more important, then what your actually riding.

I don't care about being fast right now. I'd rather get the lines and form down first. Fast will come along eventually.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #19
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

thats why you bought a zx-6r vs a 250, right........lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #20
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:

...interesting.

To the couple of guys that said they're nervous about getting out on the track without much experience, I truly understand how you feel. My current bike is the first bike I have ever owned myself and I was nervous about getting in people's way even in the novice group. My first track day saw me out there with less than 3k mi on my bike and I was surprised that I was NOT the only slow guy out there. But more importantly I learned far more about braking quickly yet smoothly, and how to control the throttle than I ever did in my MSF class or from riding on the street. Now I'm a better street rider...and a much slower one as I realize the dangers and don't feel a need to haul on public roads any more.

Like others have said, just sign up for one of Bucks trackdays at MSRH. And be SURE to take the class and absorb and try everything that they teach you. Then go out there at your "slow" pace, do what they tell you and the speed will start coming without you even realizing it. Also, watch multiple instructors lines and riding positions because someone might do something just a little differently that works well for you.

Oh and don't worry about the other guys on the track, ride your line and they will just go around you if they want. No big deal. You spent $180 to take a MSF class to learn how not to drop your bike. Now go spend $175 to go learn how to actually ride that bike!

Just my thoughts *waiting for flames from MSF instructors*
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement