MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training
 
GIXXERKELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Katy,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 375

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125







At what point should I consider switiching to new rearsets?

I am dragging my right toe slidder but, not my knee. I'm keeping the of my feet on the pegs.
__________________
RSMSRH2 1
GIXXERKELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rearsets Rearsets Rearsets... BlackWidow Taking it to the Track 16 06-01-2009 01:57 PM
Rearsets? bdubb Performance and Modifications 16 08-17-2007 06:28 PM
Rearsets? Flying Scot How To's and Q & A's 70 06-28-2007 11:36 AM
Rearsets CarbonJames Taking it to the Track 19 06-08-2006 01:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Guess Who?
The new guy
 
Guess Who?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 298

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 BMW S1000RR
2012HD Street Glide
2006 Honda F4i
2003 XR50



My guess would be your body position needs to change for you to drag knee. Do a track day and work with a control rider.
Guess Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Mayday0017
Senior Member
 
Mayday0017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 385

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike









Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
To be honest I know alot of people say ride w/ the ball of your foot... but the faster you get the less this works, I ride with my inside toes on the peg most of the time the outside you can always do whatever is comfortable unless you need to shift mid turn then try to get in the habbit of being in position for that on entry. Just stopping to review some pics from a TWS (Texas World Speedway) event I see lots of people have a bad habbit of sticking their toes out, your foot should run parallel to the bike 100% not pointed into the turn. Go review your TWS (Texas World Speedway) pics and see if you can tell what you do with your feet.
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
DrAwkwArD
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,231

Trackdays: 9











User is banned

.
DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat
 
Mark06gsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 2,276


Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)






From the pic you might be trying to step your foot off the peg. Try to keep your foot as close to the bike as you can, then rotate the back of your foot towards the bike. I drag my toes here and there, but mostly when my BP is crossed up, as this will unaturally force the bike down towards the ground more.

If you get your head down, and reach it for the "mirror" it will help keep the bike more upright. Sometimes just the lower body doesnt help. When you try to force your head down it will make you be off the bike more. I dont know how fast you are. So this could mess you up, and slow you down. In the end though I think it would help a lot.

Edit: next time you ride the street. Lemme know.. Im in katy too. maybe I can help your BP a little. Dont get me wrong. Im not an expert, but I know what right & "wrong" looks like.

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 07-25-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training
 
GIXXERKELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Katy,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 375

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125







Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
From the pic you might be trying to step your foot off the peg. Try to keep your foot as close to the bike as you can, then rotate the back of your foot towards the bike. I drag my toes here and there, but mostly when my BP is crossed up, as this will unaturally force the bike down towards the ground more.

If you get your head down, and reach it for the "mirror" it will help keep the bike more upright. Sometimes just the lower body doesnt help. When you try to force your head down it will make you be off the bike more. I dont know how fast you are. So this could mess you up, and slow you down. In the end though I think it would help a lot.

Edit: next time you ride the street. Lemme know.. Im in katy too. maybe I can help your BP a little. Dont get me wrong. Im not an expert, but I know what right & "wrong" looks like.
FWIW the picture is my first track day not the most current one. Track instructor made no comments about me having incorrect foot position and he spent a lot of time with me. It was also the instructor who brought up consideration for rearsets.
__________________
RSMSRH2 1
GIXXERKELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip
 
Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Shmearth
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 12,292

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+


450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Body position looks good to me.
Get you some woodcrafts and call it a day.
Scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training
 
GIXXERKELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Katy,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 375

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125







Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Body position looks good to me.
Get you some woodcrafts and call it a day.
What are the differences between the Woodcrafts and the Vortex?
__________________
RSMSRH2 1
GIXXERKELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat
 
Mark06gsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 2,276


Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by GIXXERKELLY View Post
FWIW the picture is my first track day not the most current one. Track instructor made no comments about me having incorrect foot position and he spent a lot of time with me. It was also the instructor who brought up consideration for rearsets.
Let me correct myself.. tried to edit, but went too long. Your bp from the pic looks good, but if you are draggin toes/hard parts before your knee's are touching then it sounds like your not getting off the bike enough, and one way to get off the bike more is to get your head over & down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIXXERKELLY View Post
What are the differences between the Woodcrafts and the Vortex?
Fwiw the vortexs tear up boots faster cause the grips are very aggressive. I've had them before, and I like stock better. The vortex's are fixed. If they touch you have potential to lowside. Stock will give, and just make you tense a little. Did that on my first TD

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 07-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
 
CaligoneTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Valhalla
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 21,558

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)






Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Mine has adjustable sets from the factory; I find it alot more uncomfortable w it raised then the stock positioning.

My feet will stick out a bit and I still ended up hitting the right toe slider last TWS (Texas World Speedway) day. I'll be doing the above on my next GSS day to improve my BP and hopefully alleviate the slider situation.
__________________
triumphsig
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training
 
GIXXERKELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Katy,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 375

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125







Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
Fwiw the vortexs tear up boots faster cause the grips are very aggressive. I've had them before, and I like stock better. The vortex's are fixed. If they touch you have potential to lowside. Stock will give, and just make you tense a little. Did that on my first TD
Yea, the solid mounting is what bothers me and makes me hesitant to do it at this point in time
__________________
RSMSRH2 1
GIXXERKELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing
 
PYROBUG51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SPRING
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 6,158


Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)






I am doing the Same Thing I chewed up a NEW set of toe sliders in a weekend....one of the Instructors told me he did the same and said that the OEM rearsets 06-07 GSXRS are soo much lower than the aftermarket...He suggested woodcraft so thats the route im going....To be honest I have holes on the bottom of my sidis and I can Def tell where my placement of my foot is on the peg and they are not sitting out much at all!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training
 
GIXXERKELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Katy,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 375

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125







Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
I am doing the Same Thing I chewed up a NEW set of toe sliders in a weekend....one of the Instructors told me he did the same and said that the OEM rearsets 06-07 GSXRS are soo much lower than the aftermarket...He suggested woodcraft so thats the route im going....To be honest I have holes on the bottom of my sidis and I can Def tell where my placement of my foot is on the peg and they are not sitting out much at all!
OK, that makes me feel better about buying a set. I'm trying not to get into the mind set that "new parts" will improve my riding.
__________________
RSMSRH2 1
GIXXERKELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat
 
Mark06gsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 2,276


Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by GIXXERKELLY View Post
OK, that makes me feel better about buying a set. I'm trying not to get into the mind set that "new parts" will improve my riding.

U are already there

Im not trying to be a jerk about it, but there are FAST people that ride stock stuff. Fix what your doing wrong now before it becomes a BAD habit later.

Upgrade yourself, not the bike.


Edit: can I ask what kinda lap times you run?

BTW the 06-07 gsxr rearsets are adjustable, but not much. Make sure yours are adjusted up all the way first

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 07-25-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,798

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





The GSXR rearsets are too low even when mounted on the highest point. The front end is also too low which is why most of the racers I know have the forks dropped in the triples 3- 8mm. I have mine at 3mm now but was running them at 8mm (probably too much but didn't adversely affect the handling).

I ran through 4 sets of plastic and 2 sets of metal toe sliders in just a couple track days; I was dragging the pegs too, even with the front end raised by dropping the forks in the triples and the rear ride height raised 6mm (or 10mm, can't remember).

I know some fast folks that race with stock rearsests on other bikes, but I don't know any that race the GSXR with stockers. Jeff Grant runs stockers on his CBR1000RR and he's definitely fast, but that's a whole 'nuther bike and he rides around the issue with skill he developed for years since he's like 9' tall .

You can affect the clearance by changing your body position but most of body position is about comfort (I know that's going to upset a lot of minions). By consciencely turning in your toes and placing your feet in a comfortable position on the pegs, you may make a bit of difference. Getting off the bike more in the corner can also help with ground clearance in a corner.

To me getting aftermarket rearsets on the GSXR is not a compensation for skill or lack of ability, it's a necessary purchase due to design in geometry flaws- for some reason they built these bikes low. The 06/7 is the only year model I've experienced this with, I haven't ridden the '08+, but since the only thing that changed with the GSXR from '06 is "BNG" I'm guessing it's the same.

YMMV
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
Kid_Blink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 121

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'02 Aprilia RSVR









Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday0017 View Post
your foot should run parallel to the bike 100% not pointed into the turn.
I disagree. If your feet are facing straight foward, the amount you can spread your legs is severely limited.
Kid_Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
1FC
380 Racing & Paint
 
1FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,901

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR






Thanks Tom, great info.

During 1 session at the end of the day in Cresson 3.1 I completely ground off my left toe and slider.
__________________
CMRA Novice Champion with / 380 Racing & Paint / South Central Race Center / Pirelli Rubber
Motorcycles Unlimited / Houston SuperBikes /
Cycle Gear / P-1 Suspension / M-4 Products / Family and Friends
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Mayday0017
Senior Member
 
Mayday0017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 385

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike









Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
Fwiw the vortexs tear up boots faster cause the grips are very aggressive. I've had them before, and I like stock better. The vortex's are fixed. If they touch you have potential to lowside. Stock will give, and just make you tense a little. Did that on my first TD
Agree that vortex has a very agressive grip in compairision to other brands, I have both woodcraft and vortex (vortex currently on bike) if you would like to check out the quality and or design of both side by side. Also yes you can lowside from them touching down, I did at TWS (Texas World Speedway) 2 months ago... Funny thing is I was still keeping my foot out the way, never felt it touch until both wheels were off the ground and I was on my ...

Also I was unaware that the gsxrs had such an issue with low rear sets, not trying to knock anyones body position I know I am still working on mine just trying to throw ideas out there, I have never road a gsxr that hard on hondas and yamahas I have to unscrew the feelers on the pegs though cause they touch down to early figured gsxr was the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Blink View Post
I disagree. If your feet are facing straight foward, the amount you can spread your legs is severely limited.
And why are we spreading our legs? Dragging knee is not a real "goal" it is a product of correct body position. Now you can drag your knee with out correct position but I'm not sure why we are needing to spread our legs..... And I'm not trying to argue here I'm just curious never heard anyone talk about spreading their legs....

Not gonna post the pic cause it's kinda pretty much HUGE, but mr rossi's foot looks VERY parallel w/ the bike to me, and not pointing away from it any for sure....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photog...talunya-03.jpg
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
Kid_Blink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 121

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'02 Aprilia RSVR









Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday0017 View Post
Agree that vortex has a very agressive grip in compairision to other brands, I have both woodcraft and vortex (vortex currently on bike) if you would like to check out the quality and or design of both side by side. Also yes you can lowside from them touching down, I did at TWS (Texas World Speedway) 2 months ago... Funny thing is I was still keeping my foot out the way, never felt it touch until both wheels were off the ground and I was on my ...

Also I was unaware that the gsxrs had such an issue with low rear sets, not trying to knock anyones body position I know I am still working on mine just trying to throw ideas out there, I have never road a gsxr that hard on hondas and yamahas I have to unscrew the feelers on the pegs though cause they touch down to early figured gsxr was the same.



And why are we spreading our legs? Dragging knee is not a real "goal" it is a product of correct body position. Now you can drag your knee with out correct position but I'm not sure why we are needing to spread our legs..... And I'm not trying to argue here I'm just curious never heard anyone talk about spreading their legs....

Not gonna post the pic cause it's kinda pretty much HUGE, but mr rossi's foot looks VERY parallel w/ the bike to me, and not pointing away from it any for sure....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photog...talunya-03.jpg
It looks to me like its facing both down and out. How else would be able to hang off the bike without spreading your legs?
Kid_Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
Mayday0017
Senior Member
 
Mayday0017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 385

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike









Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
..
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy