MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #21
Wormgear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Good Post
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ben Spies 'fast from first race', podium potential Grinchy Taking it to the Track 11 01-04-2010 02:00 PM
Plane race...Ala Fast and Furious Txlonestar Off Topic 2 12-22-2005 07:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #22
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
...be mindful of your affiliations...
Well said, Tom
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

I meant.... you see people who ride level 2 or B group and still are very very slow and have horrible lines...I have done a few track days but I dont think Im ready to bump up to the next level..
I agree if you wanna race and you have the cash do it...but the freshman B team quarterback play varsity..cause he dropped cash on a class...
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i'd like to add a few words. don't let your ego dictate why or when you should race. you race because you want to experience something you love at a higher level. it's very rare that someone just goes out there and wins right off the bat....and there will always be someone BETTER than you.

if you think you're ready.....you're ready. it ain't just about being the fastest guy out there, it's also about the experiences, the adventures, and the time spent with a great group of people.

as a novice, i won almost every race i entered. this is my first year as an expert, and i'm still looking for my first expert win. even the podiums come far and between, but that does not discourage me from not going out there and giving it my all. i like to win and do good also, but i also enjoy spending the weekend with some of the greatest people EVER.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #25
civicious

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
No says I!

LMMFAO!!!!!
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #26
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
I meant.... you see people who ride level 2 or B group and still are very very slow and have horrible lines...I have done a few track days but I dont think Im ready to bump up to the next level..
I agree if you wanna race and you have the cash do it...but the freshman B team quarterback play varsity..cause he dropped cash on a class...
I don't think you fully understand how the whole licensing process works.

First, indeed, you need to take the CMRA racing school. You will get a yellow shirt, that yellow shirt tells people you are new and in the process of getting your license. You have to pass the written test and also complete the rest of the day and mock race without crashing. Once you complete that, you get your racing school certificate but, the process is far from over.

Once you have completed that, you need to submit your application to the CMRA to gain the status of Provisional Novice. You won't lose that status until you complete the rest of the safety requirements, which are: complete 4 races in 2 different weekends without crashing and complete two days of Corner working. Until then you must wear (proudly) that yellow shirt.

I assume you would say that CW is only a way for the CMRA to save money, which indeed is one of the reasons it is done; however, CW allows you to see the different aspects of racing. You get to see what the "Texas' gods" do to be so fast, etc. Overall, it is part of the learning curve, which makes you a safer racer when you are in the track.

After all that process, then you can be called a Novice Racer. So, no, it is not only a matter of paying 75 bucks to race.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #27
htownballa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I don't think you fully understand how the whole licensing process works.

First, indeed, you need to take the CMRA racing school. You will get a yellow shirt, that yellow shirt tells people you are new and in the process of getting your license. You have to pass the written test and also complete the rest of the day and mock race without crashing. Once you complete that, you get your racing school certificate but, the process is far from over.

Once you have completed that, you need to submit your application to the CMRA to gain the status of Provisional Novice. You won't lose that status until you complete the rest of the safety requirements, which are: complete 4 races in 2 different weekends without crashing and complete two days of Corner working. Until then you must wear (proudly) that yellow shirt.

I assume you would say that CW is only a way for the CMRA to save money, which indeed is one of the reasons it is done; however, CW allows you to see the different aspects of racing. You get to see what the "Texas' gods" do to be so fast, etc. Overall, it is part of the learning curve, which makes you a safer racer when you are in the track.

After all that process, then you can be called a Novice Racer. So, no, it is not only a matter of paying 75 bucks to race.
I think Pyro is aware of all the requirements to get a license. I think he is talking about forking over the bucks for a race weekend, even though...knowing all the time that you arent that fast...and arent going to contend with anyone, instead just doing it for the experience.

At least that is what I assume he meant.

I know Im not the fastest guy...and if I had the cash flow to race...I would already have my prov nov and would have entered some races this year for the experience. I would assume that (as with any sport) I would not be winning...but hopefully as I gain experience racing, I would at least move up in standing some. , even if I had 8-10th place, I would be proud of it.
htownballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #28
SIKBLU

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i'd like to add a few words. don't let your ego dictate why or when you should race. you race because you want to experience something you love at a higher level. it's very rare that someone just goes out there and wins right off the bat....and there will always be someone BETTER than you.

if you think you're ready.....you're ready. it ain't just about being the fastest guy out there, it's also about the experiences, the adventures, and the time spent with a great group of people.

as a novice, i won almost every race i entered. this is my first year as an expert, and i'm still looking for my first expert win. even the podiums come far and between, but that does not discourage me from not going out there and giving it my all. i like to win and do good also, but i also enjoy spending the weekend with some of the greatest people EVER.
I BELIEVE I am ready. I am consistent on the track. Rarely ever venture from my race line and am usually one of the smoothest on the track. I have so far turned a 1:29 at MSRC, 2:08 at ECR, and 2:09 at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

Granted those times are slow for race pace but after looking at times from the CMRA results, I wouldnt be in last place. And who knows, maybe I need the "competition" factor to turn faster times.

I have the cashflow to race without a sweat and I would like to get the experience.

FYI, Im going for my license on Sept. 6th at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and hoping to run my first sprint races on Halloween also at TWS (Texas World Speedway)
SIKBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #29
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

i actually,dare i say,enjoyed the CW .
not that im gonna volunteer to do it,but gives me piece of mind to know how its done and that the people out there are actually working and looking for OUR best interest.
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement