MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Fast enough to race?

It's a common question amongst the track day/racing fraternity: Am I fast enough to race?

This appears to be fueled by the notion that only the fastest riders race, and this is not at all accurate.

The notion of not being fast enough to race is akin to stating "I am not strong enough to go to the gym."

See the conundrum?

Track days are a great venue to improve a rider's skill. Track days allow riders a venue to practice their skills in a safe and repeatable environment. It provides an outlet to ride a motorcycle in the manner they were conceived, designed and built for!

But track days by design, are not the best venue for competing with/against your peers. It is actively discouraged, even though we all know it tends to take place.

It is racing and competition that encourages many to dig that little bit deeper. To tap into a reserve they were unaware even existed and discover that what was once a 100% Herculean effort was really only 80-85% of their abilities.

All this said, racing is not for everyone. Racing is about competition and exploring/redefining your personal limits. It is expensive and not at all a good venue for fun per $$$ spent.

Every racer that celebrates trimming 0.5 seconds off their best lap time was once a mid pack or back of the pack rider who once celebrated trimming 2.0 or seconds of their best lap time.

So the next time, someone inquires into being fast enough to race, ask them:
"Are you strong enough to go to the gym."
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ben Spies 'fast from first race', podium potential Grinchy Taking it to the Track 11 01-04-2010 02:00 PM
Plane race...Ala Fast and Furious Txlonestar Off Topic 2 12-22-2005 07:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

I think its wrong just to pay and get a race lic...but thats me! I think they will give anyone a race lic
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I use to be strong enough to go to the gym and I also use to be almost fast enough to race, but now I,m just a moving chicane, oh well such is life, but its like its still fun even though I may not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was I see your point and would also like to compliment U and all the LSTD crew for a job well done
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Great post Ronnie!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
I think its wrong just to pay and get a race lic...but thats me! I think they will give anyone a race lic
+1000000000

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

^
its easy to say,unless you've raced.
NOT every one can get a race lic.
you dont "just" pay and get one.
its a journey in its own.
its,shall i dare say, like joining a club.
its as good of an experience as you make it........
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Good post.

I agree that anyone that wants to race, and that can afford to, should give it a try. Though, some people may eventually find that blowing $1,000+ for one race weekend might not be worth it when you're spending every race by yourself, in the back, getting lapped. But if they still enjoy it and can justify the cost...that's all that matters.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Is this really a problem? If you have to money, and wanna blow it, then who cares? Its keeping the instructors & cmra employed? Dont have my lic. yet, and there is a reason. The bikes not ready, and im not 100% ready, but if you think you are, then do it. Only gonna hurt your own ego if/when ur getting smoked out there.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
I'm curious: Do you think Roger Lee Hayden, given his poor results and inferior equipment, should be kicked out of World Superbike?
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
Only gonna hurt your own ego if/when ur getting smoked out there.

Yet, how do you gain the experience and improve, if you don't get out there and try?
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

ive been really wanting to find a day to go to my first track day

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post

Yet, how do you gain the experience and improve, if you don't get out there and try?
For me, Trackdays. I figured I would at least give it a full season of trackdays before I ventured into racing. Only way to be fast is to get comfortable, and find out what works for you. Im still figuring everything out for myself, and smashing previous bests by 4+sec, everytime I do another day. Im thinking once I plateau off and only make small/no gain for every day I do, then I will be ready to move onto the racing side.

Im still on street fairings too. Im not ready to jump head first into a race and try to push myself way too hard and crash out. A little at a time works best for me. Like I've seen posted elsewhere. "You can follow someone faster than you to get faster, but be ready to crash"

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 07-22-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

I enjoy trackdays being able to push myself and ride the bike all out, I really dont enjoy the street anymore and very seldom ride unless it is a trackday.
Also racing has never crossed my mind , It would be selfish of me to spend that kind of money/time away from my family when they are setting home, I promised my son no more track untill we all go camping or on a vacation.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

What works for one does not mean it will work for all.

I've seen folks come to their first track day and blaze. A week later they're racing and winning. Still others prefer to do several track days or even a couple season's worth before they get in to racing.

Even more see the cost associated with racing and prefer to get their track fix at track days only.

As far as the comment about "anyone being able to race", it's true, the problem is that some folks jump in to racing without understanding the cost factor or the fact that they could be seriously hurt or killed (which can happen at track days too). They end up discouraged and sometimes not returning to the sport at all.

The only absolute in track days and racing is; there are no absolutes!

As far as the OP, I recently experienced a eerily similar connundrum. While I'm capable of running XX lap times on an SV, and have run those times in an endurance race consistently, it's a different world in sprinting- a whole 'nuther mindset. The lap times I am capable of running and have recently run at track days were well below the pace of the front running racers in those classes. Easy pickins, right? No says I! I got fantastic starts on each of the 3 races I ran and was sumarily dismissed to mid-pack finishes.

It's a whole other world in racing...
Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Quote:
The notion of not being fast enough to race is akin to stating "I am not strong enough to go to the gym."
Nice analogy! (and thanks FLYIN'DUC - the LSTD crew works their azz off to make it all happen as smoothly as possible)

Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I just want to race!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
htownballa

what is the likelihood of getting into racing...being good...and getting sponsors somehow? And even with sponsors...what is the normal cost for a race weekend.

Just curious because I was planning on getting into racing probably next year due to finances, but it sounds like I would not be able to afford racing if it is 1K for a single race weekend. Thats a lot of money.
htownballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownballa View Post
what is the likelihood of getting into racing...being good...and getting sponsors somehow? And even with sponsors...what is the normal cost for a race weekend.

Just curious because I was planning on getting into racing probably next year due to finances, but it sounds like I would not be able to afford racing if it is 1K for a single race weekend. Thats a lot of money.
I bought new tires and entered 3 sprint races. After all expensives it came out to a little under $1k
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownballa View Post

Sponsorship, of any kind, is tough too come by. With a good personality, the right attitude, and solid performance you can get some help. The longer you stay in the sport the more support you'll enjoy. Network with the right folks, be mindful of your affiliations, and be patient.

You'll spend a whole lot more money then you'll ever see in support, it's a very small fraternity that get enough support to pay the bills.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #20
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Quote:
It's a common question amongst the track day/racing fraternity: Am I fast enough to race?

This appears to be fueled by the notion that only the fastest riders race, and this is not at all accurate.

See the conundrum?

Track days are a great venue to improve a rider's skill. Track days allow riders a venue to practice their skills in a safe and repeatable environment. It provides an outlet to ride a motorcycle in the manner they were conceived, designed and built for!

But track days by design, are not the best venue for competing with/against your peers. It is actively discouraged, even though we all know it tends to take place.

It is racing and competition that encourages many to dig that little bit deeper. To tap into a reserve they were unaware even existed and discover that what was once a 100% Herculean effort was really only 80-85% of their abilities.

All this said, racing is not for everyone. Racing is about competition and exploring/redefining your personal limits. It is expensive and not at all a good venue for fun per $$$ spent.

Every racer that celebrates trimming 0.5 seconds off their best lap time was once a mid pack or back of the pack rider who once celebrated trimming 2.0 or seconds of their best lap time.

So the next time, someone inquires into being fast enough to race, ask them:
"Are you strong enough to go to the gym."

I couldnt agree more!

Advertisement