MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Jerzey
The Trickster

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Not you typical tire question well sorta but not really

kinda long but please read it to fully understand what im asking

I asked about a year ago for a good mileage tire for commuting back and forth to work and just riding around town. Since I was new to riding I wasnít looking for a super sticky forest ride/ track/aggressive street rider tire. So I was recommended the Bridgestone bt-021 sports touring tire with a dual compound rear tire by pat at Motorcycles Unlimited and a few others on this forum and other forums. At the time that was all I needed because my front had plenty of life left (so I thought) anyway the price was lower then the other sport touring tires people recommended so I picked one up. The tire seems great to me good straight line stability, good cornering grip good wet weather grip. Not a bad tire at all. So one day me and TXGAINT815 swapped bikes, he has pilot powers. I immediately noticed when I rode it just around my block that taking a corner or just making a turn at a stop sign was easier.(very low speed turns 10-20mph) It felt like the bike fell into the turn better and stayed on track. It wasnít like when I take a turn with my bike. When I take a turn on mine it would fall then straighten out then I have to turn in more then straight out. Thatís the best I can describe it. We had MR.D ride both and he noticed the same thing ( I know now that, that was a bad idea to let him take out ANY of our bikes ) maybe he can jump in and tell us what he felt.. maybe 2k miles later I had to get a new front tire. Mine had cupping and was close the the wear marks) went to Motorcycles Unlimited and I got a BT-16 front which he recommended, I noticed a great deal of a difference in turn in and keeping it on track during the turn, but it was still a bit off from TXgaints bike. Now the only thing I can think of is that the rear tire profile is whatís doing it. My suspension is set to me. Both mine and tx giants tires were new and we both have the same bike. Do sport/hypersport tires have different profile then sport touring. Would think so just to have a bigger center foot print on the road, making the sports tire more pointy? and less center tire on the road.

Im going to be needing a new rear tire soon. Im more experienced now and I feel maybe I need a sport tire? Unless its not the profile of the tire that im noticing. I got about 8k on the rear tire now and can prob get 2-3k more out of it . so im loving the life of this tire. But would like a quicker flicking tire. At the track the bt16, 21 set up was not bad. At least to my level of riding, but I was riding pretty aggressive on my track day. Passing people trying to keep up with the instructors (didnít happen) , pretty much I went all out but to a point were I was just over my riding skill level. I did feel the back slide just a tiny bit on one of the corners so it may have been the tire or just the corner had something slick on it.

Options

There is a new bt-023 features longer life and better wet traction and better cornering then the bt-021 I read one of the reviews on a ST forum and the guy states that it had the feel of his sports bike when it fell into the turn; he was not at ease when he 1st noticed it but then started to like that feeling of the quicker turn in. which is exactly what im looking for. But thatís just one mans review on a ST not a sport bike most are saying its a very good tire and thy hope it will last as long or longer then their bt-021.
problem is more touring bikers have sport touring tires on their bikes then sport bike riders have. so you dont get a great deal of info on how that tire feels on a sport bike.

get a pilot power and stay with a bt016 front since it still has plenty of life. But now the rear will not last half the life im getting with the bt021

get a bt-016 rear, to keep it in the Bridgestone family but again sacrifice tire life.

Get a pilot power road smarts? Will those give me what im looking for ď the sporty/ easy to turn profile?

Any one else recommend anything else

p.s i write how i speak so grammar punctuation etc will be off. Plus this a a forum not English class
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire question Crossfits Car Forum 8 05-27-2015 03:26 PM
Tire question.. (my tire people where you at?) floyd600 Taking it to the Track 81 07-02-2012 12:41 PM
Tire Question Blackjack Performance and Modifications 2 08-25-2008 12:33 AM
TIRE QUESTION! AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 11-24-2006 10:34 PM
Tire Question Candie General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 03-23-2006 02:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

How many miles were on your friends tires?
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Jerzey
The Trickster

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
How many miles were on your friends tires?
id say 1500-2k mybe 2500... he didnt remeber but he said they were pretty new
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Davekg
Honda Rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR

I run the BT016's on the front and rear, recommended by Motorcycles Unlimited, they feel like they turn in better than the stock dunlaps I had on it.. Honestly I don't like / enjoy freeway riding / commuting... If I did more commuting on my bike I'd probably run the 021 or 023 on the rear with the 016 still on the front. I've gotten around 3000 miles on the 016 rear and think I could get 500 to 1000 more "pushing it", 90% of my riding is sub 100 mostly a "moderate" rider. For now, I'm sticking with 016's front and rear.
Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey View Post
id say 1500-2k mybe 2500... he didnt remeber but he said they were pretty new
I ran some Pilot Power 2CTs for a while. When fresh the tires tipped in great, but as any street tire, after a while you get a flat spot. That will kill your turn and make it feel funny.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Jerzey
The Trickster

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
I ran some Pilot Power 2CTs for a while. When fresh the tires tipped in great, but as any street tire, after a while you get a flat spot. That will kill your turn and make it feel funny.
yea i know i will devlope a flat spot after some time but i recently rode his again and its still just a bit off.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

any tire you run on the street will flatten out and feel like at the track. some will last longer if you don't commute.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

1. Tire pressure makes a big difference in how tires turn
2. Cupped tires are usually a sign of under inflation
3. This week I'm going to have a BT-016 front and BT-023 rear installed on my 09 CBR1000RR. I'll let you know how that turns out.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
your front should be softer compound then your rear; so if you run a 21/23(w softer sidewall as you say) then you're putting yourself in jeopardy.

Michelin tires usually have a different sprung rate then other tires and usually on a combination on a bike brings vibrations from the suspension binding.

If you're going to change to the 16s(great street tire) then go with both front and rear. If you cant afford to do that, stick w the sport touring tires.

You need to trust your tires upmost; if the 21s are being outridden its time to step up; and yes you will wear them out a bit quicker.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
TJ636

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2003 636-SOLD
1997 FATBOY

"Sell all your possessions or your going to "

TJ636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Moc05
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Moc05 Send a message via Yahoo to Moc05
Are you running 180/55/17? I would wait to hear what Bevo has to say about that bt-023 but the bt-016 is a great tire, I had over 5k miles on it until it got a nail, I plugged it and rode a bit more before I finally decided to change it out. It still had a decent amount of life left on it. Its a great compromise between mileage and sport and i'm sure its at the same price as the 21 or possibly even the 23.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
Jerzey
The Trickster

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
1. Tire pressure makes a big difference in how tires turn
2. Cupped tires are usually a sign of under inflation
3. This week I'm going to have a BT-016 front and BT-023 rear installed on my 09 CBR1000RR. I'll let you know how that turns out.
yea i was reading a few reviews and ran into one on 1000rr.net and saw u post there lol
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
Jerzey
The Trickster

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
your front should be softer compound then your rear; so if you run a 21/23(w softer sidewall as you say) then you're putting yourself in jeopardy.

Michelin tires usually have a different sprung rate then other tires and usually on a combination on a bike brings vibrations from the suspension binding.

If you're going to change to the 16s(great street tire) then go with both front and rear. If you cant afford to do that, stick w the sport touring tires.

You need to trust your tires upmost; if the 21s are being outridden its time to step up; and yes you will wear them out a bit quicker.
i dont understand why i would be puting myself in jeopardy if i run a dual compount sport touring tire. im sure the 16 is softer then the side compound on the 23.

i do feel that im outriding the 21 but the 23 is suppose to be a step up anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ636 View Post
"Sell all your possessions or your going to "

then im not buying nothing.. just ride on rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc05 View Post
Are you running 180/55/17? I would wait to hear what Bevo has to say about that bt-023 but the bt-016 is a great tire, I had over 5k miles on it until it got a nail, I plugged it and rode a bit more before I finally decided to change it out. It still had a decent amount of life left on it. Its a great compromise between mileage and sport and i'm sure its at the same price as the 21 or possibly even the 23.
yea its a 180. i dont have a problem going with the 16 if i know it will work well for me. i feel that a good sport touring tire would do great since i commute mostly then play later. i just need to to work when i play

Last edited by Jerzey; 07-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Jerzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Moc05
Safety Third

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Quote:
yea its a 180. i dont have a problem going with the 16 if i know it will work well for me. i feel that a good sport touring tire would do great since i commute mostly then play later. i just need to to work when i play
is it the 180/55 tho? I'm almost positive it is but you never know.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
reread.

a softer tire on the rear means it will grip longer then the front... we call that washout.

as for mixing michelins; reread again.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Jerzey
The Trickster

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Quote:
is it the 180/55 tho? I'm almost positive it is but you never know.
yes sir. why do u ask? what would make you question that?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Go get the 16s and pay the price to ride sucka
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Jerzey
The Trickster

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
reread.

a softer tire on the rear means it will grip longer then the front... we call that washout.

as for mixing michelins; reread again.
okay you lost me. im saying the 16 is softer then the 21 so i dont have a softer rear.

yea i understand the upsetting of the suspension but mixing tires
Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
Moc05
Safety Third

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Quote:
yes sir. why do u ask? what would make you question that?
Just curious, i've seen people riding on 190/50 and feel an improvement switching to the 190/55 figure it'd be the same for 180s, i'm not sure if they still even make a 180/50. The 55 is a taller tire and gives you a bigger contact patch, just something that could have played a part in the equation.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
Just curious, i've seen people riding on 190/50 and feel an improvement switching to the 190/55 figure it'd be the same for 180s, i'm not sure if they still even make a 180/50. The 55 is a taller tire and gives you a bigger contact patch, just something that could have played a part in the equation.
I went from 190/50 stock Dunlaps.... to 190/55 BT016's at the suggestion of Brandon down at Motorcycles Unlimited, don't know if it's the size and the different tires but they seem smoother and seem to roll into the corners smoother..
Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement