MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #21
JUANTED

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 770

i dont know why every one is saying rip. I started on a 1000 and Im doing just fine. and i never took the stupid msf class
JUANTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Femmoto 2008 Sponsored by the Cycle World International Motorcycle Shows NoFear Events, Meets and Rides 7 11-10-2008 10:48 PM
Ronnie Renner sets world record for highest motorcycle jump jodyhudson General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-15-2008 11:45 AM
The Number 1 Motorcycle in the World: Honda Cub AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-03-2008 09:35 AM
Cycle World Motorcycle Show chingwa14 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 11-11-2006 07:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #22
texasgiant815
The biggest on 2 wheels

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07' GSXR-600

Member Garage

-_-

ohnoes416234
texasgiant815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #23
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUANTED View Post
i dont know why every one is saying rip. I started on a 1000 and Im doing just fine. and i never took the stupid msf class
We're going to use that term loosely.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #24
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
dam that a nice car, and dont listen to the dumbasses that are talking mess get what you want.
AH!! Here we go again. We'll use that "I'm doing just fine" loosely again here too.

Lets try to avoid telling him that huffing spray paint is a suitable replacement for oxygen. We wouldn't want to give anyone bad advice and look like a bunch of dumb would we now?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #25
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Quote:
1000 cc harley doesn't count.

listen to smart people, new guy. people who spend time at the track and the street.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
dam that a nice car, and dont listen to the dumbasses that are talking mess get what you want.
Yup. You heard it. NEVER listen to anyone trying to give useful advice. Be a bad , just like this guy! Also, you should probably down a liter of vodka before you ride too. You know, liter of vodka for a liter bike!
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #27
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Seriously though, take the MSF course before you purchase your bike...you're gonna have to now anyway. Talk to them after class about bike choices for your first. They'll be able to watch how you're progressing and recommend something for you start out on.

If you go through Awesome Cycles, try and get into a class where Louie is the instructor. He's a badass and he'll help you a lot.

Good luck, and welcome to MH!
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostJunkieXL View Post
I'm 6'2" 275lbs....I dont wanna look like a monkey a football.
Welcome to the forum, it is tuff love in here. People are going to shoot it straight to you without the candy coating. Figuring you own a WS6 I'm going to say you like to go fast and drive crazy. Liter bike will get you in trouble quick. If you are doing it because of body size, you are misinformed. Of course if you have to have something bigger, go with something like I'm on, its a VFR very comfortable for tall and big people without the insane power of a liter bike. Either way, good luck to you and ride safe. BTW, MSF is not going to teach you how to control the power of that bike at all.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #29
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Granted 600cc bikes aren't leaps and bounds slower than a 1000cc bike, until you have the basics down of riding a bike, having the ability to unleash 160hp+ and air out the front wheel at will is playing a thin line IMO. Especially if you know you're a hound for speed.

Braking, turning and accelerating are all different on a bike. Add in a green rider, an ability to put on MAJOR speed very fast (with a liter bike), and a less than ideal situation where the new rider doesn't have the experience to know what to do and bad things can happen.

I've hit the ground at 80MPH in a full leather suit at the track. It doesn't feel good. At all. I'm more than sure if I had that same wreck on the street in more relaxed gear that wreck would likely have killed me.

So set the ego aside and the desire to have the lattest and greatest bad liter bike and really look and ask yer self (and others) what's the best bike for a new rider and find one that appeals to you. Learn the skills and then start stepping up.

Of course, this is all my opinion.

Good luck and welcome to MH.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #30
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
that statement is so overplayed.. just because its a bigger motor doesnt mean that the bike is bigger.... i wish people would learn that.. start out with a smaller bike or just take it easy on the throttle for a long time...
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #31
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Dont think we are flaming on you..just giving you the CORRECT ADVICE...take it how you want it!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #32
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
that statement is so overplayed.. just because its a bigger motor doesnt mean that the bike is bigger.... i wish people would learn that.. start out with a smaller bike or just take it easy on the throttle for a long time...
Easier said than done. I only have a few thousand miles under my belt and I still find the need to go faster than I'm supposed to on occasion. And I actually have great respect for the bike and the need to take it easy a while. And I have never owned a car as fast as a WS6. We all know the restraint won't ALWAYS be there.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
Easier said than done. I only have a few thousand miles under my belt and I still find the need to go faster than I'm supposed to on occasion. And I actually have great respect for the bike and the need to take it easy a while. And I have never owned a car as fast as a WS6. We all know the restraint won't ALWAYS be there.
well, im sure everyone pushes their limits from time to time. but as long as you are geared up and in the right environment (track day, closed course, etc.) then its ok, but when you get out on the road, with a freakin t-shirt and base ball hat and want to run up and down the freeway at 160+ risking everyones life. then i think you are just pushing your limit a little too much and the road will bite you and it bites hard!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #34
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Riding bikes is all about having fun, and if you are new to riding a 1000 is not fun at all. It's just too much bike and it really takes the fun out of it. The difference between safely exiting a corner and wadding your up in a pretzel is a 1/8 turn of the throttle on a wound up liter bike. 1/8 turn, that it is. Dead or alive is separated by a teeny tiny little twist of your wrist. One must master throttle control grasshopper. 600 will let you screw up just a little bit more when you're learning. When I say a little bit more I mean 1/4 turn vs 1/8 turn. A 600 is still a whole whole lot of bike and will smoke most cars that mere mortals can afford. So if you are looking to have fun and go fast, then the obvious choice would be a 600.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #35
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Riding bikes is all about having fun, and if you are new to riding a 1000 is not fun at all. It's just too much bike and it really takes the fun out of it. The difference between safely exiting a corner and wadding your up in a pretzel is a 1/8 turn of the throttle on a wound up liter bike. 1/8 turn, that it is. Dead or alive is separated by a teeny tiny little twist of your wrist. One must master throttle control grasshopper. 600 will let you screw up just a little bit more when you're learning. When I say a little bit more I mean 1/4 turn vs 1/8 turn. A 600 is still a whole whole lot of bike and will smoke most cars that mere mortals can afford. So if you are looking to have fun and go fast, then the obvious choice would be a 600.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #36
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
ok then
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #37
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
lol
Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #38
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
well, im sure everyone pushes their limits from time to time. but as long as you are geared up and in the right environment (track day, closed course, etc.) then its ok, but when you get out on the road, with a freakin t-shirt and base ball hat and want to run up and down the freeway at 160+ risking everyones life. then i think you are just pushing your limit a little too much and the road will bite you and it bites hard!
100% true.
"bites hard"
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #39
dirkbelt
its ur boy DIRK

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR W/Corona Fairings
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
Full custom 02 R6

U can kill urself on a . 250.....get what u want....have u ridden any kind of motorbike before???
dirkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #40
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkbelt View Post
U can kill urself on a . 250.....get what u want....have u ridden any kind of motorbike before???
This is true...but, you're not going to kill your self because you got too lofty with the throttle mid corner on a 250. I mean, I guess you "could" if conditions where right but you get what I'm saying.

Advertisement