Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Question Motorcycles on HOV

Do motorcycles get to ride for free on the I-10 HOV?
I'm Riding bike to work tomorrow and would like to know. Anyone?
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you're in the HOV RACER X Off Topic 35 08-20-2013 03:03 PM
HOV Lanes usmarine2009 General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 02-07-2013 08:53 PM
HOV riders, stay in the HOV "lane" on the Gulf freeway says motocop urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-22-2012 10:06 AM
dog on the HOV show,Northbound 45 HOV, bout 20min late today are you? urbanXJ Off Topic 2 11-11-2009 12:27 PM
rider down in HOV gsxxxr General Discussion (Moto Related) 69 05-22-2008 11:51 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
JP171
Senior Member
 
JP171's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sand Land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,323

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636








NO
__________________
EMT-P for 18 yrs, EMT for 21, Fire Fighter since 1974

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
NO
It! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!????
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco
 
Versatile337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,120

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)




Member Garage


During hov hours, yes
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
AJFLo
Senior Member
 
AJFLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 8,621

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50





Katy Tollway/Managed Lanes Operations

The initial Operations Agreement between TxDOT, Harris County and METRO allows for the provision of METRO buses to use the lanes free of charge with guarantees that mass transit users will be assured a level of service equal to or better than 45 miles per hour (referred to as Level of Service C). Concessions for high occupancy vehicles (2+ and motorcycles) are also provided for in the agreement and allow toll-free use of the lanes during peak periods (5 AM – 11 AM and 2 PM to 8 PM both eastbound and westbound). Working with the Operations Committee comprised of TxDOT, HCTRA and METRO, Harris County Commissioner's Court will determine and approve any additional toll exceptions and/or modification to the initial operations.

During Phase I operations (October 2008 – Spring 2009), the lanes will operate as a High Occupancy Vehicle and mass transit facility only and will be accessible only during peak periods (5 AM – 11 AM and 2 PM to 8 PM). HCTRA will be evaluating traffic counts and patterns to determine appropriate toll amounts. These tolls will be effective Spring 2009 during Phase II operations. Additional information on Phase II operations will be available in early 2009.
__________________
sigpic6669 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
I知 really happy for you and I知 going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
FoxRod
Village Idiot
 
FoxRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 436

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki SV1000
2004 Suzuki DR650
2007 Kawasaki KLX110
1984 Chevy Suburban 4x4



Not on the Katy tollway but a 1up Moto counts as an HOV. Thusly, they are allowed on the HOV during operating hours. The Katy tollroad is a different entity. I've done it several times and even followed other riders past cops with not even a double take.
__________________
I wanna go fast!
FoxRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 3,352

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S








Yes they are. I ride them everytime I take the bike in to downtown from Tomball.
http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/HOV.aspx

"LAWS OF THE LANES
Any vehicle meeting occupancy and weight restrictions may use the HOV, with the following exceptions:

No single-occupancy vehicles.
No vehicles towing trailers of any sort.
No trucks with more than two axles or a gross weight capacity of one ton or greater.
No bicycles (motorcycles are allowed).
No pedestrians."
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
AJFLo
Senior Member
 
AJFLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 8,621

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50





Just make sure you go through the HOV lane at the Toll Booth and not the EZ Tag Lane
__________________
sigpic6669 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
I知 really happy for you and I知 going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
Katy Tollway/Managed Lanes Operations

The initial Operations Agreement between TxDOT, Harris County and METRO allows for the provision of METRO buses to use the lanes free of charge with guarantees that mass transit users will be assured a level of service equal to or better than 45 miles per hour (referred to as Level of Service C). Concessions for high occupancy vehicles (2+ and motorcycles) are also provided for in the agreement and allow toll-free use of the lanes during peak periods (5 AM 11 AM and 2 PM to 8 PM both eastbound and westbound). Working with the Operations Committee comprised of TxDOT, HCTRA and METRO, Harris County Commissioner's Court will determine and approve any additional toll exceptions and/or modification to the initial operations.

During Phase I operations (October 2008 Spring 2009), the lanes will operate as a High Occupancy Vehicle and mass transit facility only and will be accessible only during peak periods (5 AM 11 AM and 2 PM to 8 PM). HCTRA will be evaluating traffic counts and patterns to determine appropriate toll amounts. These tolls will be effective Spring 2009 during Phase II operations. Additional information on Phase II operations will be available in early 2009.
Does that mean it MUST be two people on the bike? !
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 3,352

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S








Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRod View Post
Not on the Katy tollway but a 1up Moto counts as an HOV. Thusly, they are allowed on the HOV during operating hours. The Katy tollroad is a different entity. I've done it several times and even followed other riders past cops with not even a double take.
I cannot find anywhere on the METRO site where it says there is an exclusion for motorcycles on the I-10 HOV lanes. Still looking...
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 3,352

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S








Here we go! Here is a link to a site about the Managed Katy Freeway lanes in regards to motorcycles.
https://www.hctra.org/katymanagedlanes/motorcycle.html
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haileyan View Post
Here we go! Here is a link to a site about the Managed Katy Freeway lanes in regards to motorcycles.
https://www.hctra.org/katymanagedlanes/motorcycle.html
What i took away from that, is that it is free, just ride on the far left during HOV times.

I'm only picking it up after beltway going towards Katy anyways. i think i'll be fine.

Thanks guys!
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 3,352

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S








Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
What i took away from that, is that it is free, just ride on the far left during HOV times.

I'm only picking it up after beltway going towards Katy anyways. i think i'll be fine.

Thanks guys!
You are welcome! All HOV in Houston is free to motorcycles. Just make sure your tags are up to date for those pesky checkpoints they setup.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
FoxRod
Village Idiot
 
FoxRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 436

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki SV1000
2004 Suzuki DR650
2007 Kawasaki KLX110
1984 Chevy Suburban 4x4



riding 1up on a bike is still classified as HOV. The initial intent was to grant special sections for vehicles with higher passenger to space available ratios to reduce risk while mingling other other traffic . . . . from what I remember anyways.
__________________
I wanna go fast!
FoxRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor
 
Challen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brookshire/Fulshear, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,516

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R




Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
What i took away from that, is that it is free, just ride on the far left during HOV times.

I'm only picking it up after beltway going towards Katy anyways. i think i'll be fine.

Thanks guys!

Katy Freeway is considered a HOV/HOT lane.

It's only free during the hours of 5-11am and 2-8pm (Mon-Fri).

All other times, motorcycles are required to pay a toll with an EZtag.

The motorcycle only has to have one person on it.

All other HOV lanes in Houston:
Motorcycles can ride at ANY time that they are open with only one person on the bike at no charge.

In short, exactly what AJFlo copied/pasted.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco
 
Versatile337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,120

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Katy Freeway is considered a HOV/HOT lane.

It's only free during the hours of 5-11am and 2-8pm (Mon-Fri).

All other times, motorcycles are required to pay a toll with an EZtag.

The motorcycle only has to have one person on it.

All other HOV lanes in Houston:
Motorcycles can ride at ANY time that they are open with only one person on the bike at no charge.

In short, exactly what AJFlo copied/pasted.

Hope that helps.
AND EXACTLY what the I said. Uninformed posting up when they aren't even sure. RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #17
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama
 
Perf_White_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,414

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3











Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRod View Post
riding 1up on a bike is still classified as HOV. The initial intent was to grant special sections for vehicles with higher passenger to space available ratios to reduce risk while mingling other other traffic . . . . from what I remember anyways.
I always thought it was because the motorcycle lobby argued that even the most gas thirsty bike is still more efficient than (at the time) the most efficient car.
__________________
"HATERS GON HATE" - FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT
Perf_White_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #18
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post

The motorcycle only has to have one person on it.
My bike is really off about that rule. Sometimes it likes to go out alone.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco
 
Versatile337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,120

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmorgan744 View Post
You can get the any new bike for a test ride with the limitation of time and distance you take it for. You cant get it for 1-10 HOV.
I think I have a link that will help you with your post.

BASIC ENGLISH
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #20
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor
 
Challen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brookshire/Fulshear, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,516

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R




Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmorgan744 View Post
You can get the any new bike for a test ride with the limitation of time and distance you take it for. You cant get it for 1-10 HOV.
WTF?
__________________
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy