MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Review: Wiki Helmet with Wiki-Shift shield

A few weeks ago I posted that I had ordered my helmet - finally!

They sent me an xsmall instead of xxsmall - seems I was mistaken and xxsmall is a thing of dreams.

The helmet fits my crown just fine, but it's not tight in my cheeks/jaw, which is typical of ALL my xsmall helmets. It IS a little more snug than what I've gotten used to, but that may be due to the fact that my helmet padding has softened over time. Only time will tell if it will become too loose. Really that's my only complaint. I think I need to figure out a way to make my skull bigger...

Because it's more snug, there is less air movement, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. With the looser helmet, I had way too much air in my face and debris was always getting in my eyes. Now I don't have that problem. I seem to stay cool enough- I can feel it blowing lightly on my face, but I have nothing else to compare the wind to, so I am no help to who ever asked that question. Sorry.

Is it loud? I don't know. Maybe it is, maybe it's not - again I don't have anything to compare it to. Its quieter than my other helmets.

I LOVE the Wiki Shift Shield. I often leave my home before sunrise and return in the middle of the day or vice versa due to my class schedule. The shield works exactly like they say it will. It's clear in the mornings when I put it on, and as soon as I get in the sun in the afternoon it darkens right up- pretty dark, too. I know they sell the shields for a couple of other helmets, and they sell a generic add-on. I highly recommend it. It's a little pricey, and with heavy use (like me) the shifting is only supposed to last about a year - the only drawback.

So, I love the colors and I love the shield. Overall I like the helmet. I wish some company would make a helmet that fits tiny heads with small chins/jaw. I will try to find a way to make the cheek pads thicker or something - will probably have to start making my own.

I give this helmet four out of five stars - ****

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr.Wiki Infinite Off Topic 0 06-14-2011 10:55 PM
Wiki Leaks? cedestech The Circus 218 12-17-2010 06:05 PM
wiki link test urbanXJ Forum Updates & Feedback 6 07-02-2010 08:02 PM
Ordered my new Wiki Helmet! Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 06-27-2010 12:34 AM
wiki helmets? Anybody got reviews HoustonGixxer Gear Talk 23 10-17-2007 02:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Um, might be a dumb idea on my part, but is there any way of fashioning some extra padding maybe from some light foam or another helmets' old padding and just add that to the exterior of this helmet's padding?

I mean, remove the helmet's padding, line it with something extra (leaving holes for the vents and snaps, of course) then re-installing your original padding over that.

Might be worth a try...
Good luck though.

Oh and also, you said that the face shield's shifting should only last about a year with heavy use... but does that mean that everytime you use it, it will wear down?... or even after only having it a year (regardless of use) it will start to wear down? Just curious. After that time frame, it will just become a clear visor, right?

I'm interested because i have the same issue as you. I work nights and sometimes have to keep swapping between clear and smoke visors.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Um, might be a dumb idea on my part, but is there any way of fashioning some extra padding maybe from some light foam or another helmets' old padding and just add that to the exterior of this helmet's padding?

I mean, remove the helmet's padding, line it with something extra (leaving holes for the vents and snaps, of course) then re-installing your original padding over that.

Might be worth a try...
Good luck though.

Oh and also, you said that the face shield's shifting should only last about a year with heavy use... but does that mean that everytime you use it, it will wear down?... or even after only having it a year (regardless of use) it will start to wear down? Just curious. After that time frame, it will just become a clear visor, right?

I'm interested because i have the same issue as you. I work nights and sometimes have to keep swapping between clear and smoke visors.
I think the visor will stay somewhere between dark and clear rather than clear; it will just get to the point that it won't shift anymore... it didn't say what exactly would happen. Also, it says not to leave it in sunlight when it's not in use, because the sun is what will wear down the tint. So, if you're wearing it to work and leave it on the bike, I would suggest putting it in the helmet bag before you hang it on the bike. I park in a dark garage, or I take it with me and leave it in my lab.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Ah got it, thanks....
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote