MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #21
01 r1 jason
I GOTTA PEG LEG LOL

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 harley street glide
fzr600 (endurance bike)
06 gsxr 1000 (race bike)
07 X6 pocket bike
05 YAMAHA R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateman View Post
Switch,
Armco, & Tire Wall at T8 and T9 was removed 2 seasons ago.
Seventy Five foot of the Concrete wall along the back stretch @ the crossover of the oval was also removed.
An additional 150 ft. of galvanized pipe was installed for drainage behind the back stretch wall as well.

Ride Smarts right hand man Dave Wonders was one of the administrating forces who got the changes up and going along with support from Ronnie Lunsford and Craig Abbott. Those two paid dearly on one weekend at that corner. Rusty Rush who manages TWS (Texas World Speedway) was very helpful in pushing the job through with the owner at the time.

Don Meador provided the Crane to lift the Armco sections out of the way.
Yours truly here did the Dozer and Tractor work.
Also there were 15 to 20 CMRA member who put in a good days work in T8 and T9. Their help was very valuable and much appreciated.

Since this change and the redirection of the track NOT going up onto the banking off the backstretch TWS (Texas World Speedway) is considerably alot safer then in the past.

The Higher Speeds contribute to TWS (Texas World Speedway)'s concerns. If anything that would make TWS (Texas World Speedway) safer it would be a really nice smooth pave job. Then not letting ANY, ANY...type of racing or driving on the new surface for at least a two week period so the surface could cure. Tim.
the t8 and t9 armco he is talking about at ECR the one that andy burt hit at the last ECR event with CMRA
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police Fatalities Rise Bevo Off Topic 25 01-05-2012 05:53 PM
Interactive Map of US Road Fatalities TripC General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 12-02-2011 09:25 AM
2 Fatalities at Barber Motorsports Park cyrick21 Taking it to the Track 35 05-28-2009 03:51 PM
bike fatalities and serious injuries loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-13-2008 12:21 PM
2 Fatalities last night SackDragger General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-17-2006 10:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #22
1yammy

I thought Ben Spies ex-team mate died on t9 in the early 90's at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I know someone died at oak hill on friday race weekend that went off of t1 couple of years ago. Larry Myers almost got life flight out at oak hill when he went down on t2, but didnt, on that same weekend.
1yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #23
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 r1 jason View Post
the t8 and t9 armco he is talking about at ECR the one that andy burt hit at the last ECR event with CMRA
correct.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

There's some accurate information here, and a lot of innacurate information.

Here's the deal on safety for each track. They aren't.

Doesn't matter where you go, doesn't matter who you ride with, doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride- none of the tracks are "safe". It's an inherently un-safe addiction we're all afflicted with here.

Now, are there some areas on each track that you likely don't want to crash in to? Sure. There are no absolutes in racing/ track days. The only "absolute" is that anything can happen and usually does. You'll crash in the least likely and vulnerable spot on track "X".

I know of 2 deaths at TWS (Texas World Speedway), neither of which would have happened on current configuration/ current facility (i.e. 8a's wall). I know of 2 deaths at OHR, none of which were at a CMRA event or track day/ practice. Both were on private rental days. I can't recall any other deaths at other tracks.

Lifeflights? Well, that is a very subjective look at "danger" or "safety". You must balance the fact that a great many of the air ambulance transports ended up being medically un-necessary (fortunately). To look at the number of air transports is an exercise in futility due to the unknowns of patient outcomes. I'd venture an educated estimate that 90% of the air transports could have been handled appropriately by ground transport with the same outcomes.

Here's the deal- if you're worried about a track's safety, you're focusing on a moving target. Plenty of tracks I've ridden I would consider to be perfectly safe- even though someone may have unfortunately died there. It's a matter of perspective. Any track can/ is unsafe when you define "safe".

Last edited by tomLSTD; 07-06-2010 at 11:30 AM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #25
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
correct.
Not entirely- Andy's bike hit the Armco, Andy did not.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #26
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
There's some accurate information here, and a lot of innacurate information.

Any track can/ is unsafe when you define "safe".
Quit subjecting people to fact that obviously would rather run with conjecture...

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #27
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateman View Post

The Higher Speeds contribute to TWS (Texas World Speedway)'s concerns. If anything that would make TWS (Texas World Speedway) safer it would be a really nice smooth pave job. Then not letting ANY, ANY...type of racing or driving on the new surface for at least a two week period so the surface could cure. Tim.
so i take it that this is where all the extra money they are charging is going.?
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
01 r1 jason
I GOTTA PEG LEG LOL

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 harley street glide
fzr600 (endurance bike)
06 gsxr 1000 (race bike)
07 X6 pocket bike
05 YAMAHA R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Not entirely- Andy's bike hit the Armco, Andy did not.
true I guess I need tobe more specific(sp)
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #29
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Just to clarify...

I was just curious about roadracing fatalities in general, not so much specific tracks or organizations.

It all started when my friend and I were conjuring up ideas on how to convince his wife to let him race, and the (relative) safety of racing was on the list.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

out milage racing is a TON safer then riding on the street.

Hands down.

You may be able to rack up more mileage on a Goldwing traveling interstate
but operating a sport bike as designed you are going to bust your on the
road with far worse consiquences, mile per mile, track vs street.

Have her attend some races. Especially a endurance race and ad
the mileage up for the race at the pace they are traveling.

Best thing is to find some race wives to talk to her.

My ex was freaked untill she saw how minor the injuries were from
get offs that would have been life changing on the street.

GL.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #31
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
Just to clarify...

I was just curious about roadracing fatalities in general, not so much specific tracks or organizations.

It all started when my friend and I were conjuring up ideas on how to convince his wife to let him race, and the (relative) safety of racing was on the list.
I like this list:

Gear- Mandatory; it minimizes injury greatly.
EMS- On site; no waiting for an amberlamps in a remote country area
Rules- All TD orgs have 'em; it makes for a safer environment. Whether that is with control riders, proper grouping, passing rules, etc.
Traffic- You need only worry about other MC riders going the same direction as you are. No need to worry about on-coming traffic or "granny" pulling out in front of you.
Pre-ride inspections- Again, all the orgs I know of require a safety inspection of your bike. Keeps bikes safe from obvious safety problems.

There's probably more, but I'm busy and don't have time to elaborate
Old 07-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #32
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
out milage racing is a TON safer then riding on the street.

Hands down.
I dunno man, I been racing on the streets for years and all I got is a few months jail time... still seems cheaper than racing on the track.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #33
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

To me it comes down to a set of static variable and some conditional elements. Some of these folks like Tom have been doing this since I was in diapers so I would defer to them on just about anything. That being said this is my perspective, having dived in and out, and wanting to come back to the track :

- Anything can happen on a race track, murphy's law certainly applies!

- If you research deaths on a race track you are going to find that it DOES happen. In a large percentage of the deaths it was "un-safe" track conditions aka a wall or something, people entering the track, corner worker doing something stupid like walking onto a hot track, etc. Being hit by another rider behind you is also very serious situation. But there are also a lot of deaths that are just simply accidents, plain and simple, you go fast on a motorcycle and crash, you are likely to get hurt.

- In general most get off's are not serious or life threatening.

- You control how fast you go and how un-safe you are which directly effects yourself and those around you. Can someone else be a risk to you? Yes but if you choose the right organization to ride with they should help protect you from knuckle heads. That is a risk though and it is real, I have seen idiots take out guys but once again back to the point not life threatening. The road is altogether different and you are at the mercy of your environment. At the track you have more control and others watching out for your well being.

- People get hurt going fast on motorcycles on race tracks, period. You will crash, it will not feel good, but very very likely you will not die.

- Serious injuries are also relatively rare. A couple of guys in the CMRA family have went down very hard and had some serious issues. Some still fighting it to this very day. But in general not very common.

Look, a race track is going to be the most safe environment to operate a high performance motorcycle as you will find. You can control and mitigate some of the risk associated by riding a high performance machine by wearing proper gear, following the rules, using your brain, etc etc. Reality is though that you can still get hurt and over time you will. Will you die? If you do the things above chances are really really slim.

- my nickel

Last edited by Timme'; 07-08-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Timme' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #34
Al Soran

Bike(s):
1984 VF1000R (Gray Market imported from France)

It really boils down to this; when it's your turn to go, it's your turn to go!

Advertisement