MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Exclamation Austin Cop Runs Stop Sign And Hits 78 Year Old Motorcyclist

http://www.news8austin.com/?ArID=271815

CLICK LINK FOR VIDEO

Quote:
An Austin man is still in critical condition Tuesday morning.

More than two weeks ago, a veteran Austin Police Department officer hit a motorcyclist with his vehicle in a north Austin neighborhood.

Shortly after 9 a.m. May 29, Officer Damon Dunn had just finished making a traffic stop. He had yet to turn off his dashboard camera, when he ran a stop sign and crashed into a 74-year-old man.

Dunn's fellow officers and a supervisor responded to reconstruct the crash.

APD Assistant Chief Sean Mannix confirmed Officer Dunn ran the stop sign at the corner of Magazine and Lamplight Village.

After emergency crews determined Officer Dunn was not hurt, his commander sent him home. The veteran officer had more than 10 years on the force. He took a few days off before returning to his full duties.

"The officer was pretty remorseful and felt pretty strongly about the collision taking place [and] that it was in the best interest to let him take the time off that was appropriate for him. He's on full duty status and functioning fine," Mannix said.

Officer Damon Dunn's dashboard camera captured it all on tape, but due to the graphic nature of the video, News 8 has chosen to stop the video, prior to impact.

"When you look at the size of the patrol force and the size of the department in general, the number of staffing hours that take place driving a motor vehicle, collisions are actually a fairly rare occurrence. And it's extremely rare that we have one with the injuries to the extent that we saw in this collision, involving an officer," Mannix said.

The department is conducting an internal investigation to see if there will be any disciplinary action.

The victim's family says it's focusing on the 74-year-old's recovery, and has not talked about legal action.
BONUS: Nice tatas in the 1st 5 seconds
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
woman runs red light because of GPS!?! on_one General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-03-2014 12:32 AM
biker runs red light maskale General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-18-2007 12:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Phiber

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2009 Ninja 250

So this fuckoff runs a stop sign and then they wax eloquent about him being ok and returning to his full duty? him!
Phiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

yeah this guy. i bet nothing happens to him because hes an officer and is "above the law"
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
BadApple
What?

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

You have to understand that the majority of a officers day is spent driving his vehicle giving the officer a higher probability that a accident will occure. That being said officers have a extremely lower than normal accident rate if you take into count the hours spent driving.

I doubt this officer meant to hit the motorcyclist...hence why they call it a "ACCIDENT"...it ticks me off that the first two heads to post in this section take that " the police" mentality. Wait till they need the police and see if their tune changes...

End rant
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
bjaz54

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadApple View Post
You have to understand that the majority of a officers day is spent driving his vehicle giving the officer a higher probability that a accident will occure. That being said officers have a extremely lower than normal accident rate if you take into count the hours spent driving.

I doubt this officer meant to hit the motorcyclist...hence why they call it a "ACCIDENT"...it ticks me off that the first two heads to post in this section take that " the police" mentality. Wait till they need the police and see if their tune changes...

End rant
i agree completely with this rant.
bjaz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

i just think their point is that if it was anyone else the tone would be different. A truck driver spends his life in that rig but if he was to do it heads would prob roll. i respect the police and appreciate what they do but there is somehting said in all of this
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
bjaz54

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgottnSoul View Post
i just think their point is that if it was anyone else the tone would be different. A truck driver spends his life in that rig but if he was to do it heads would prob roll. i respect the police and appreciate what they do but there is somehting said in all of this
i see your point as well, but if it happened to be a truck driver, i think you would be less likely to hear about it. this hits the spotlight BECAUSE it's a police officer.
bjaz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
The Trav
slowpoke

Quote:

End rant
read what i wrote, you " head". I said this guy because he probably wont have to pay up because he is "above the law". I do not have a " the police" mentality. I have respect for the police, but i do not have respect for ones that will use the system to get out of anything simply because they are police.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
BadApple
What?

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgottnSoul View Post
I can see where u are coming from with the mentality that police should be held to a higher standard.

I just don't agree with the mentality that if it happened to someone else, heads would roll. The officer is going to receive diciplineary action..no doubt. It was clearly his fault. IAD will investigate and hand out what they believe to be the proper punishment. ...But even If a citizen hit the man their head wouldn't roll...hence once again why it's called a ACCIDENT!!!! If it was done on purpose then criminal charges would be applied...it wouldn't matter if it was a school teacher or a officer.

The city is still open for a civil suit due to the accident...and will probably end up paying out a hefty chunk of change.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
BadApple
What?

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
read what i wrote, you " head". I said this guy because he probably wont have to pay up because he is "above the law". I do not have a " the police" mentality. I have respect for the police, but i do not have respect for ones that will use the system to get out of anything simply because they are police.
You are automatically assuming that the officer is attempting to get out of being guilty without even knowing the facts. "casting the first stone". your post read came off as you having a FTP attitude.

Police are not above the law and are not out to fk everyone as your comments suggest. They do a tough job that holds slot of responsibility and are punished accordingly when they are in the wrong. They may not be given a traffic citation but they are punished other ways such as days off no pay, relieved of duty or fired depending on the situation.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

Quote:

End rant
exactly. every hard is " the police" until THEIR gets broken into, stolen, their friend/wife/daughter gets raped, their store gets robbed, etc. then who are they calling?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
The Trav
slowpoke

you're right, i'm wrong.
-kib
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:

End rant

I have said this in soooo many posts....

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
ZoomByU
The whistles go Wooo

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
Pink red ryder tricycle

Quote:

End rant
Well said.
"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
ZoomByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I wonder if they would have had such a chill attitude about if it was a civilian doing this to a cop. I am not a cop basher but we all know it would be slightly different if it was the other way around.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
BadApple
What?

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I wonder if they would have had such a chill attitude about if it was a civilian doing this to a cop. I am not a cop basher but we all know it would be slightly different if it was the other way around.
Your still under the assumption that the officer did this on purpose...But I will play your game...and give u a example
A little more than a month ago a citizen hit a police officer friend of mine on westpark and tanglewilde pinning him in the vehicle and causing injury. But because it was a ACCIDENT..the citiizen was given a citation for running a red light and released...

The citizen was not hung up by hose toes in a public square...in fact if u go back and look at the news article about the incident you can read what the public viewers said about the incident..even though it was not the officers fault They where still crtisized for being involved...
Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

Quote:
well it depends on who "they" are. what i see in this thread is "HANG THE POLICE CAUSE THEY THINK THEYRE ABOVE THE LAW!!". all the dumbasses in this thread see is a badge. nothing else.

probably the same whiney little that cry like babies cause they get tickets for breaking the law.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Quote:
Your still under the assumption that the officer did this on purpose...But I will play your game...and give u a example
A little more than a month ago a citizen hit a police officer friend of mine on westpark and tanglewilde pinning him in the vehicle and causing injury. But because it was a ACCIDENT..the citiizen was given a citation for running a red light and released...

The citizen was not hung up by hose toes in a public square...in fact if u go back and look at the news article about the incident you can read what the public viewers said about the incident..even though it was not the officers fault They where still crtisized for being involved...
am I missing something here? I did not see him saying, or at least implying the cop did it on purpose.

While I see some guys here just bashing cops, I see you just as an untolerant person. just chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #19
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
am I missing something here? I did not see him saying, or at least implying the cop did it on purpose.

While I see some guys here just bashing cops, I see you just as an untolerant person. just chill.
I am not bashing anyone here and I agree with you. I am raising the question of how it would be handled if it was the other way around. I remember a woman here in Austin that accidentally hit a cop a while back and she was immediately arrested and she got railroaded.

There are 3 kinds of people when it comes to these matters.

Those who side with police all the time and bash anyone that questions them.

Those who always say the police and always cop bash.

And those who take a step back and try and honestly see this rationally.

Anyway, I am just raising an honest question so chill the out a little bit guys.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

The ONLY person that brought cop bashing into this thread is you BadApple, your first post was some complete bullshit. Who gives a that cops spend most of their days driving and that their crash average is lower than that of normal citizens? It's unrelated. This thread is discussing a single officer who decided to run a stop sign and quite possibly killed a motorcyclist, the only person who generalized this into police as a whole was you.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement