MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
casey10

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

kicking over a 4 stroke

ok this is embarassing to say the least. i just bought my first 4stroke dirtbike, owned a few 2 stokes before but this is my first thumper, i cannot for the life of my kick this somma bia over! it died on me in the trails yesterday and took me about 20 minutes to finally get it, guy at the shop can kick it over in 2-3 kicks, i sat out side today to try and start it to ride alittle and couldnt. it has a brand new plug and all that. whats the secret? i know the compression release would help but the guy never used it at the shop and i kicked it over without it yesterday. im outta shape and im a little guy so i cant keep on and keep on before i just say ef it..... its a 2002 yz250f btw

Think twice before kicking that idiots car. da1hobo General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 03-26-2012 08:54 PM
4-stroke to 2-stroke Conversion Stang Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-07-2011 09:34 AM
id be kicking some !!!! Jerzey General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 09-21-2010 12:23 PM
Felony for kicking over motorcycle less_than_coop Off Topic 63 06-26-2009 07:21 AM
this guys needs a azz kicking MudBug Off Topic 25 01-20-2009 03:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
casey10

forgot to mention when it died i stalled it going up a hill, nothing the bike did, just me
Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Street Ninja
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
dontbap()ssy

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

I rode a honda 450 and i had to roll it over to comp stroke the press the decomp button and on full choke kick the t out of it . A good pair of boots helps otherwise it will tear up the arch of your foot
dontbap()ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
casey10

lol, i tried to push start it once today but it didnt work. im getting a full kick outta it i guess just not hard enough?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Compression release is for hot starts(like when you killed it in the trails yesterday). Where are you located? I've had a few 450's that were to get kicked over until you get them figured out. Make sure you're kicking the full range, ie: from all the way at the top to the very bottom, you shouldn't need to give it any throttle, choke is on(on cold starts), decompression lever is off, and fuel is on.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
casey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbap()ssy View Post
I rode a honda 450 and i had to roll it over to comp stroke the press the decomp button and on full choke kick the t out of it . A good pair of boots helps otherwise it will tear up the arch of your foot
yea, my hunting boots are seeing better days....
Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
casey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Compression release is for hot starts(like when you killed it in the trails yesterday). Where are you located? I've had a few 450's that were to get kicked over until you get them figured out. Make sure you're kicking the full range, ie: from all the way at the top to the very bottom, you shouldn't need to give it any throttle, choke is on(on cold starts), decompression lever is off, and fuel is on.
located in tomball/magnolia border, decker hills i guess. i have to hold on to a fence or something just to touch the ground to even try and kick it
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

I'll be in Stagecoach tomorrow, I could swing by if you'd like
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
casey10

Quote:
I'll be in Stagecoach tomorrow, I could swing by if you'd like
i live on Ansley right before timbergreen by the valero.... i dont get off work till 5:30
Old 06-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

I'll probably be out there all day, I'll swing by and give it a try, maybe we can figure it out
Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
casey10

Quote:
I'll probably be out there all day, I'll swing by and give it a try, maybe we can figure it out
cool man, i really just need someone to show me the best way... this whole thread is embarassing to me and was my last resort but im tired of it. lol

just give me a call around 5:30 tomorrow. 281-673-9090. do you ride offroad?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
BPFowler

Bike(s):
09 FJR
02 FZ1
00 KLR
74 RD 350
1996 KTM 620 RXC

Your kick starter will only turn your motor over one revolution. It is very important that you start with the piston JUST PAST TDC. (Just starting the power stroke)
To find TDC push on the kick starter until you feel the compression of the piston then keep moving slowly until it just gos over the top. this should be easy to feel.
move the kick starter back to the top.
Jump on it.

This is how I kick start my KTM 620. If if does not fire off by the 3rd kick something else is usually wrong.

Yeah like I forgot to turn the petcock on
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

You kick it slowly to TDC after the compression stroke. Then real slowly put pressure on the kick starter till it barely rolls over. You feel it click. That's it going right past TDC. Just at the top/start of the power/ignition stroke. Stop there. Let the kick start lever go all the way back up to the top. Then give it one good swift kick with all you got. If it doesn't start. Then do it again. And don't twist the gas till it's running. That will just flood it.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I was gonna ask if you are making sure the piston was TDC as well. Make the most out of that kick.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
Holefnshow

Bike(s):
426 Street Tard -Sold
05 YZ 125 Smoker -Sold
00 Shadow Sabre - 4 Sale

my 426 was a till i got it figured out. Also no sissy kicks at all. MX boots make a difference as well.
Holefnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Lmao. Beat me to it. Took mr that long type that on my phone
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #18
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I don't know if you are aware of this so don't take offense.
When push starting, shift to 2nd gear, then release the clutch. Many make the mistake of trying to use 1st, which will just lock the back tire. 2nd gives better mechanical advantage to turn the motor over.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #19
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
KTM Tommy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2003 KTM SXC 625
Kona King Kikapu
2005 Trek 2300 triple/ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPFowler View Post
Your kick starter will only turn your motor over one revolution. It is very important that you start with the piston JUST PAST TDC. (Just starting the power stroke)
To find TDC push on the kick starter until you feel the compression of the piston then keep moving slowly until it just gos over the top. this should be easy to feel.
move the kick starter back to the top.
Jump on it.

This is how I kick start my KTM 620. If if does not fire off by the 3rd kick something else is usually wrong.

Yeah like I forgot to turn the petcock on
This is about the same way I kick mine. I hold the decomp and roll it over about 5 times. Release the decomp and roll it over until it starts to build compression, kick start gets hard to cycle. Let the kick start come back up, pull the decomp to roll the kick starter 1/4 to 1/2 a kick stroke. Let the kick starter come back up and then your ready to give it a good committed kick. Though not recommended, I have started mine in house slippers. As mentioned by someone else, never give it any gas while kick starting, it might kick you back.

Advertisement