MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
SGT USMC 0311

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

Is Gear Fashion Suicide at PP1??

OK, SuperMonkey (wife) and I decide to stop at PP1 before we head home from dinner on the bikes. 1st time we have been there on the bikes past 4pm.

Anyone who has rode with us knows we are smooth....NOT FAST. Gear all the time and safety first.

Very surprised to see lots of riders with t-shirts, dry clean only hitting the club shirts, shorts, no gloves and shiny bling bling helmets hanging from the back of the bike as they ride in and ride out.

As I watch these "naked" riders scatter into the inky shadows of the night I ponder to think What the ?

I haven't been down on a bike, but I have racing Mt Bikes at low speeds (>25MPH) and I can tell you it SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.

Only about 60% of the riders where geared up....I just don't get it. Maybe I am just too old to get it or seen too much of our mortality. What's the deal???? is it uncool to gear up to cruise Westheimer at night or what????

Is it uncool to mention to some one "hey put that Funkin lid on your grape or wear a funckin jacket."????? Guess what, Turbo & Ozone are calling asking for those fingerless gloves and parachute pants back"
feather fashion trend witchdoctor575 Off Topic 12 06-04-2011 12:26 PM
Suicide Bomber at PP1 tonight!!! SLOWPOKE General Discussion (Moto Related) 154 07-11-2008 07:00 AM
FASHION vs STYLE FastLine Off Topic 1 04-25-2007 12:24 PM
JAPANESE FASHION...LOVE IT FastLine Off Topic 1 10-15-2005 09:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Thats why its called PP1.

kids
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

They have a trendy word for this, hanging out and flashing the bling, blippin the throttle, looking tough and TOO cool. I forget what it is.
We ought to come up with a catchy name for these places where these Moto Socialites hang out. Then number them so everyone knows which place you were refering to!

LOL... I kid, but yes... welcome to what the (almost) entire of MH has been pointing and laughing at.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
SGT USMC 0311

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
They have a trendy word for this, hanging out and flashing the bling, blippin the throttle, looking tough and TOO cool. I forget what it is.
We ought to come up with a catchy name for these places where these Moto Socialites hang out. Then number them so everyone knows which place you were refering to!

LOL... I kid, but yes... welcome to what the (almost) entire of MH has been pointing and laughing at.
....I thought "possing" was wearing gear with boots, gloves, helmut, long pants and maybe even some CE armor. WTF was I thinking?????
Old 06-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #5
Kodak
Riding Solo Now

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600

Ever since Aaron (Samuel Rios) passed away Monday, I have not really rode my bike.. I would do 150+ with my chick on the back both of us only wearing helmet and gloves and pants that's it... You can not talk ME into whereing gear.. I have full leathers, I have a jacket and boots, I have all that. But this is me and my riding style.

Since Aaron passed, i have wore my jacket when riding.. I have not gone over 90, and have not wheelies my bike.. I told my chick she is getting boots and a jacket now..

I can not promise that i will not go back to my old self riding.. But I can say I have seen some .. I have seen people fall and ne'er get back up from routes.. But this with Aaron really got me..

You can not talk people like me into wearing gear. I have been down before and even passed away for 43 sec. No helmet, no jacket, muscle shirt, no gloves, and shorts.. I totalled my last bike. Did I learn? No. Do I really care. Not really.. You can preach all you want about gear on here.. It'll go in 1 ear and out the other.. This is just my .02 cents. In no way am I trying to say I'm a badass.. I'm just stating the facts...
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
I'm just stating the facts...
for you, it took a death to learn , others learn w/ only a little bit of guidence.

don't let CR death/lesson go w/o learning from it.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
We go for the entertainment value and to reconfirm why our premiums are high on insurance
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Hmmmmm. Maybe reconsidering not going there. Entertainment value is high on my list of tasty life-enriching things. Perhaps a visit IS in order - in gear naturally.

They're everywhere, in every city. The good news is that some of them learn. Many of them just pose for a year or two, have a wreck (hopefully not too bad), then sell the bike and tell everyone how dangerous they are. A few get hurt really bad or worse, and a select few grow old doing it but continue to annoy the out of most of the other people who have been riding more than a couple years. All part of the flavor I guess.

Always easy to recognize by the attire, but accompanied with several other tell-tale signs of the disease known in the moto-medical community as "calimaris non-prudentis."

1. Can't ride at low speeds, particularly when making a turn of more than .0000005 degrees without having one's feet off the pegs and toes dragging the ground for training wheel support.

2. Considers a pair of Weider weight lifting gloves to be their primary piece of personal protective gear.

3. Apparently has no faith whatsoever in the integtrity and connection of their throttle assembly, requiring frequent and fervent repeated whacking of the throttle in neutral when around any carbon based life form that possesses auditory canals - a behavior also frequently witnessed in the genus "Harleyus irritatinus."

4. When males of the species are accompanied with a mate, said mate is frequently covered in fashionable, yet sparse plumage - not particularly protective or suitable for transportation as the male is more interested in showing the mate off than having her keep any skin in the inevitable crash.

5. Accompanied generally with excessive oral evidence of percieved skill, but generally found lacking. Warning signs include a blank stare when terms like "countersteering" are used in their presence.

6. Specimens frequently ride with elbows completely locked, and believe that they only crashed on that corner because "the bike couln't make it."

So many more...

Last edited by CCH; 06-26-2010 at 08:51 AM.
CCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT USMC 0311 View Post
Turbo & Ozone
bwa-hahahahahah. i feel old cause i actually got that reference.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Ever since Aaron (Samuel Rios) passed away Monday, I have not really rode my bike.. I would do 150+ with my chick on the back both of us only wearing helmet and gloves and pants that's it... You can not talk ME into whereing gear.. I have full leathers, I have a jacket and boots, I have all that. But this is me and my riding style.

Since Aaron passed, i have wore my jacket when riding.. I have not gone over 90, and have not wheelies my bike.. I told my chick she is getting boots and a jacket now..

I can not promise that i will not go back to my old self riding.. But I can say I have seen some .. I have seen people fall and ne'er get back up from routes.. But this with Aaron really got me..

You can not talk people like me into wearing gear. I have been down before and even passed away for 43 sec. No helmet, no jacket, muscle shirt, no gloves, and shorts.. I totalled my last bike. Did I learn? No. Do I really care. Not really.. You can preach all you want about gear on here.. It'll go in 1 ear and out the other.. This is just my .02 cents. In no way am I trying to say I'm a badass.. I'm just stating the facts...
yeah, a lid is it for me. don't care what the gear nazis say either
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
GAU-8
official thread ender.

[QUOTE=Aramis;2567712]You can not talk people like me into wearing gear. I have been down before and even passed away for 43 sec. No helmet, no jacket, muscle shirt, no gloves, and shorts.. I totalled my last bike. Did I learn? No. Do I really care. Not really..

dont take it personally, what you say is the truth. I was the same way for many years. I had gloves, and a helmet. that was it, no jackets, nothing else.

but after a few (successive) spills in a short time span, one starts to change the game plan.

but lets be honest here. If you ride like a crazed madman, the gear isnt going to help anyways. designed to absorb "so much" and thats it. but a few of you lunatics ride above and beyond what the gear is spec'd for anyways. So i guess it really isnt worth it. money down the drain.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

Elbow pads golves, helmet and jeans is a must when i ride.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Just let them be.
The world is overpopulated anyway.
The less stupid people around, the better.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
bun1t

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

PP1 is funny. A visit there is a guide on how to look like a douchebag on a bike. Don't forget the helmet mohawks either, thats one easy way to spot a noob.
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

My leathers come in Monday (after 5+ months of waiting) and I plan on bringing them out to PP1
Old 06-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

K, Ive told this to a select # of people, and Im fully aware Ill get laughed at....

Back when I first started riding and JCI was in effect... my first trip there on a bike, I rode with a casual leather jacket and a $99 Fulmer helmet. I rode all the way from galveston to 610/westhimer like this. THEN I decided I needed to "look cool" so I took my jacket off, strapped it along with helmet to rear or bike. and rode down westy in nothing more than jeans and a white tshirt. MAN, was I cool!

Thank , I not only learned from others advice and mistakes and started wearing full gear, but I sit back and laugh, because I can just see what people were prolly saying back then when I rolled up on my 1990 kawi zephyr 550 trying to look all cool and .
Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
dude sw@t JD and I would sit there and just crack up laughing hard. seen some guy roll up w/ no helmet and had ski goggles on with shorts and a t shirt. that one was classic or seeing someone roll uip with a bike wrecked in the bed of the truck... someone else is driving him around he hops out on crutches and hops up to his emo friends and hangs out . there were others too that had us rolling. then there are the pretty momz yum yum
I remember the ski goggles
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #19
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

I understand some will get it and some won't. I was a squid when I purchased my bike. Rode off from the dealership in nothing but slacks, dress shirt, dress shoes, and sunglasses. If it wasn't for people educating me on the dangers of riding without gear I would still be riding around wearing nothing protective.

Don;t preach but give examples and encourage. If they turn the other cheek it and move on.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
I understand some will get it and some won't. I was a squid when I purchased my bike. Rode off from the dealership in nothing but slacks, dress shirt, dress shoes, and sunglasses. If it wasn't for people educating me on the dangers of riding without gear I would still be riding around wearing nothing protective.

Don;t preach but give examples and encourage. If they turn the other cheek it and move on.
na, that, we are in business to run their off to where they wont listen to anyone!

Advertisement