MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Mr.D

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Exclamation Motorcycle Checklist

In light of the recent deaths and my accident I thought it would be cool to compile a motorcycle checklist. These are things that are vital in case you go down or you were to come to your untimely demise.
  • Emergency Information Card. This would have made my accident so much easier. They had to keep asking me questions. Its hard to think straight when you can't feel your legs.
  • Health Insurance. My hospital bill was 60 thousand dollars. I paid 500 so far.
  • GEAR! Wouldn't have been so hurt if I wore my leather jacket. Its never too hot to put on gear.
  • Life insurance. Don't leave your loved ones with the burden of your demise. Simply get a policy.
  • Will. You need to write out your wishes. Don't let your legacy be left up to some in a suit.
  • Let someone you trust have the passwords to all your accounts. It makes it easier for them to let the proper people know you passed.

I am sure I missed somethings but this is what I think every rider should get taken care of. It doesn't seem like much now but we never know when our next ride will be our last.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Checklist for road trip? bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-29-2010 08:57 PM
Ike checklist BigComfy Off Topic 21 09-11-2008 02:09 PM
Track Day Checklist? 04RSVR Taking it to the Track 29 03-06-2008 08:08 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) checklist Buck Nasty Taking it to the Track 30 05-29-2006 12:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
kalanie
facebok/leatherlaceracing

Feedback Rating: (0)

I'm too tipsy to add anything but it's a great post to help the community

Thank You Mr D

Leather&Lace Racing Leather Repair
281-657-589 zero
kalanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

these are the things that we overlook often. tks mr d
Old 06-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalanie View Post

Thank You Mr D
LOL, good to see you made it into your house.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalanie View Post

Thank You Mr D
but you didnt drink much

Oh and great post. I'll read them again later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
LOL, good to see you made it into your house.
lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
Davekg
Honda Rider

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Those are all important things, I keep procrastinating on the will, I've been putting it off way to long.

The account password list is a good one, I have not got that either. Also, passwords to all your financial accounts if your spouse or sig other doesn't already have access. Thanks Mr.D, good list.
Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekg View Post
Those are all important things, I keep procrastinating on the will, I've been putting it off way to long.

The account password list is a good one, I have not got that either. Also, passwords to all your financial accounts if your spouse or sig other doesn't already have access. Thanks Mr.D, good list.
+1 on the will and passwords too!

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
A will is easily obtained w software or even a notary/witness.

Dont forget common sense when riding and the situations you put yourself in. When 80% of the wrecks/deaths are at 2am in the morning... consider the conditions that associate to early death.

We control alot more then many will ever choose to admit.

Just because some of us go out riding late doesnt mean its the best thing for ourselves or especially others that THINK they can ride/practice avoidance over those that have riding habits/skills developed over many years. We are all still vonderable.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
A will is easily obtained w software or even a notary/witness.

Dont forget common sense when riding and the situations you put yourself in. When 80% of the wrecks/deaths are at 2am in the morning... consider the conditions that associate to early death.

We control alot more then many will ever choose to admit.

Just because some of us go out riding late doesnt mean its the best thing for ourselves or especially others that THINK they can ride/practice avoidance over those that have riding habits/skills developed over many years. We are all still vonderable.
Thats before the fact. This list would something that someone should have in place. We can all speak from our computers but we have all gotten on the road and done some less than intelligent antics. This isn't a thread bashing anyone. This is just a heads up to get things situated before you go down or pass away. We don't like to think about it but we love a dangerous hobby. We should have a plan just in case our love of two wheels becomes our end.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Excellent list. Never thought about the passwords. I would go so far as to say that I bet half of all deaths occur past 2am or when the rider has been drinking. Another 25% from coming into turns to hot. 1. Don't drink and ride 2. go slow in and fast out. These two rules alone will reduce the chance of serious injury or death considerably.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Excellent list. Never thought about the passwords. I would go so far as to say that I bet half of all deaths occur past 2am or when the rider has been drinking. Another 25% from coming into turns to hot. 1. Don't drink and ride 2. go slow in and fast out. These two rules alone will reduce the chance of serious injury or death considerably.
+1

My wrecks were from the lack of proper technique and training. Track days are your friends guys. Learn something there and you can apply it anywhere.

Passwords to bank accounts and recurring payment accounts are important. You need to be able to handle one's funds properly and effectively.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

1) Cell Phone in case of break down or crash with no one around
2) Bottle of Hydrocodone or similar pain killers - I picked this up off of ADV rider when a guy went down i the desert and broke his ankle, he had some with him and it made the pain bearable till help got there.
3) Tool kit to possibly make bike rideable after small get-offs
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Just make sure you have legal script for the pills or the law could get you for PCS
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Yea, I still have a bottle full of Hydrocodone. I am hard headed so I stopped taking them and dealt with the pain till I didn't notice it anymore.

Great additions Tomball D. Thanks buddy.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Good post Ben. Those of you whom I've ridden with know that I generally carry a basic first aid kit including a cpr mask, gloves, bandages, ibuprofen, antibacterial cream and other basics. I also always have my blood type and allergies prominently displayed. Not everyone has to wear dogtags and a bloodtype tape, but at the very least keep it on an obvious card with your insurance, license and emergency contact info. This will greatly help the EMTs in a trauma situation where time is critical. Having basic first aid and CPR training is a good idea as well. Stuff happens, and a little prep goes a long way.

Cch
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

That is very true!

The health and critical aid training from work helped. I knew not to stress myself or get too excited. Staying calm is key. Slows down blood loss. Little techniques like holding a conversation with the people around you, makes the wait time for help seem much shorter.
Don't focus on the pain or the blood. Go to your "happy place."
(As crazy as it sounds it works. I have a fractured pelvis and lacerated triceps. With road rash to boot. I was told that was supposed to hurt like .)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996

Member Garage

Good post Ben. Those of you whom I've ridden with know that I generally carry a basic first aid kit on group rides including a cpr mask, gloves, bandages, ibuprofen, antibacterial cream and other basics. I also always have my blood type and allergies prominently displayed. Not everyone has to wear dogtags and a bloodtype tape, but at the very least keep it on an obvious card with your insurance, license and emergency contact info. This will greatly help the EMTs in a trauma situation where time is critical. Having basic first aid knowledge and CPR training is a good idea as well. Stuff happens, and a little prep goes a long way. If you ride for any length of time, you will eventually see. Some crazy things.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
When I got laid off last early Spring I (obviously) lost my health insurance. Everytime I rode I was worried about it, made it hard to relax & enjoy the ride. I shopped around, got a lame BCBS insurance policy that didn't cover jack & cost me an arm & a leg...I cancelled that a couple months later, seeing it wasn't worth anything.

Insurance agent called my new office (small office, no insurance policy, boss is on his wife's policy), talked me into a short conversation, emailed me a quote, set up an appointment, & got bad insurance that covers my doctor's visits, medication, & has a "riders policy" in it specifically for riding & racing! For less then $100 a month. If anyone is interested in his contact info, PM me, it is worth 5 mins of your time. I thought it was gonna be a rip off, but so far, after my first dr's visit, I am pretty happy!

Good post, OP.
Man thats awesome. Health care is vital. I sure didn't plan on staying a week in that hospital. Thats for sure, but it happened and I was sure glad the department gave us really good coverage. Sounds like you lucked out though.
If you don't have a DECENT health policy, PM this guy. Its not a waste, its something you really need to have.

Great addition!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996

Member Garage

Sorry for the repost. blackberry...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
Sorry for the repost. blackberry...
unacceptable!!!

i made sure my health ins. was all set up before i started riding, nice for peace of mind when ur going 80mph with 18 wheelers and soccer moms all around u on the highway.

also, review basic riding techniques. it's really easy to just rely on ur front brake for stopping and basically ignore the back brake. WRONG.

i was going 65mph or so on 1960, and light turned yellow while i was still from the light, made the split second decision to NOT run the soon to be red, and used my front brake only. they started to lock up just a bit, and took me much longer to stop than i though...ended up about 10 feet into the intersection. luckly, there was very little traffic and was in no REAL danger of being hit...but i learned my lesson QUICK!

stick relatively close to posted speedlimits ( for safety and just overall reaction time) and use BOTH f/back brakes! worth the extra effort of ur right foot.

Advertisement