MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125

Which trackday organization do you prefer?

This isn't to start a thread of who is the best so, please no flaming or negative slams. I'm just curious what each one has to offer for a noob.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAIR is a terrorist organization, just not in the eyes of the US urbanXJ The Circus 0 01-08-2015 05:16 PM
The NAACP is a racist organization urbanXJ The Circus 16 07-20-2010 10:44 AM
What Do You Want From a Track Day Organization? Wormgear Taking it to the Track 50 01-23-2009 02:00 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
13 636

I like ridesmart so farr.. but def curious to go check out lonestar next season!
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

They all have strong points (for the 4 I've ridden with). For me its more of location and timing than anything else.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Texas Tra....ck....days.....err....sorrrrrryyyyy.....
Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
htownballa

depends on what you like. Ridesmart is focused more on instruction and classroom.

LSTD is a bit more laid back, relaxed, ride, enjoy your time between sessions...and when there is a crash...Pam handles it. (more than likely the person who crashed has to sit there and wait till sessions over.)

I like both for different reasons. From what Ive noticed, most of the fast guys (racers) tend to ride with LSTD because 1. They usually go where the CMRA events are because I believe the lstd crew handles cmra marshalling. And most racers are practicing.

When I ride with Ride Smart, sometimes I just want to chill in between sessions and instead have to sit in class and hear stuff ive heard a lot already, and have to hit the track 10 minutes or less after classroom is over.

I ride both...just depends on location too. Great thing about ridesmart is its on weekends instead of Friday. Cant always take off work on Fridays.
htownballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
htownballa

oh and if you go to lstd on a race weekend (friday)..its a bit faster paced than you may be used to if you are new to the track. Ive always seemed to notice faster paced riding with lstd anyway, but maybe thats cause Ive always gone on fridays. lol.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
iDreaM

Bike(s):
13 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownballa View Post
depends on what you like. Ridesmart is focused more on instruction and classroom.

LSTD is a bit more laid back, relaxed, ride, enjoy your time between sessions...and when there is a crash...Pam handles it. (more than likely the person who crashed has to sit there and wait till sessions over.)

I like both for different reasons. From what Ive noticed, most of the fast guys (racers) tend to ride with LSTD because 1. They usually go where the CMRA events are because I believe the lstd crew handles cmra marshalling. And most racers are practicing.

When I ride with Ride Smart, sometimes I just want to chill in between sessions and instead have to sit in class and hear stuff ive heard a lot already, and have to hit the track 10 minutes or less after classroom is over.

I ride both...just depends on location too. Great thing about ridesmart is its on weekends instead of Friday. Cant always take off work on Fridays.

I'm glad that you said that, because I could not stand being in that classroom all day long right after a session!! I just wanted to chill and take a break.
They did have some good points, yes. But I am more of a hands on type guy. I learned more following or having the instructor follow me, than I did in the classroom!!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
iDreaM

Bike(s):
13 636

At least once, for sure!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

For a first Trackday I would reccomend Ridesmart. Seems like they are a little more structured, and try to instill not riding above your head, and obviously cause of price.

Later on when you get faster and want more open track space. Then go with LSTD. Little more laid back as mentioned, and usually less people to clog the track. I had a great time on the day I rode with them.

In the end (when you get really fast) and can ride in A-group (lstd) or Level 3 (Ridesmart) then it really doesnt matter which day you go to. So far its been dang near open tracks for either one of those organizations when I've ridden with the experts. I think thats just how it goes though.

LMS- never ridden with them, but you have to be fast to get in anyway. So its not a place to start. When you are smoking 90% of level 2 with ridesmart or b-group with lstd. Then you are probably ready for LMS..
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!

the only one who does 30 mins stints LMS
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0oAndyo0 View Post
the only one who does 30 mins stints LMS
Hahaha, only if you're invited!
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Fredo
alFREDO ...like the sauce

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03' 600RR
03' 636 (SOLD)

I enjoyed my first track day with RideSmart, they didn't say much about body positioning but from what i've heard they go over that level 2.
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

GSS was a GREAT track for my first trackday. I felt 100% the entire time up until I ran off the track at 80 screaming like a little girl.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

LMS...fastest guys around and they are willing to teach alot. I'm def the slowest guy there, but they make me feel comfortable, they pass close but that's how it's gonna be, and i feel like i take a little bit more home each day from chasing the fast guys...

look for one of their nooob days to start out though
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #16
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

I havent been to anyone but GSS. Location is definitely a factor for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
MudBug
Banned

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #18
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

LMS does offer noob days. Just gotta get on mailing list.

No matter who you ride with, ask a bunch of questions, get an instructor to follow you and ride within your limits.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #19
htownballa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Depends on what track you want to ride. For your first I'd say GSS with Groove Union due to thefact even with a sold out trackday it's still not crowded.

Ride Smart is ok I just don't like the track being packed and folks signing up for the wrong group.

LSTD has Pam and that says it all right there, wonder if she gives CPR if needed?
bwhahaha. Pam is awesome.

Yes..I agree with the wrong group comment. Ridesmart IS GOOD...dont get me wrong with stated above.

Classroom is in A/C, instructors are cool. Everyone gets one on one, its structured nice, they provide lunch, they have more events than others from what Ive seen. They show you the line and stress more aspects of the track rather than just free ride time. If its your first track day...Ride Smart is great place to start out. Pace wise...its not as fast as others (maybe due to the number of riders? idk) You dont HAVE to go to the classroom, but they do give out wristbands a few times through the day to put on your upper tripple and you need that to be allowed on the track.

LSTD does seem like you have the track to yourself though. It was the first organization I ever did a track day with. Crew is really cool.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I have ridden Ride Smart and LSTD at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I have also ridden with LSTD at Cresson. I will be at Barber with Ride Smart later this year.

For me LSTD takes the spot for best. I feel more comfortable there with the other riders and the track control that is effective but not intrusive or counterproductive to a good time. They have been doing it a long time (10 plus years) and have it down to a science.

Ride Smart was a nice to ride with, I just had some concerns as to track control that made me a little uncomfortable; but it may have been a one time thing when it occurred. It wasn't and isn't enough to not ride with them again.

I ride at GSS with GU and have zero complaints and hope to keep being able to ride there on the motard and may even try one of the other bikes there just for grins.

When it comes down to it, we are very fortunate to have different track day orgs to pick from. I would say try to support them all.

My $0.02
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement