MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low to No clutch pressure Reemdog General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-12-2012 09:17 AM
how to get a car tire off a rim, or at least the bead urbanXJ Off Topic 16 07-08-2012 10:50 AM
Sealing a bead on a tubless tire with hair spray urbanXJ Off Topic 9 07-01-2010 12:13 PM
My tire is low tire pressure. Who is the best place to take it for air? hotnanas How To's and Q & A's 74 11-19-2008 01:50 PM
Tried to recharge my AC system-its at 120psi on the low pressure side, what next? andrave Off Topic 15 11-06-2007 10:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
Diderich

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD View Post
Ya, 42psi is a really good way to slip that tire out and lowside yourself into oblivion. It will most likely jump up to an even higher psi after riding for a bit. I'd say hot temps on a tire that was inflated to 42psi cold would be around 45-46 hot. That's no good.

I only park over near B7 when I think it may rain, haha. I've been riding my older Buell lately cause the 1125 has been prepped for the track so much. I've been trying to get Benny to get his on the track...maybe I should start badgering you about it!!
Ben was badgering me...wedding/new house/and now coming baby drained my bank account and made me too fat for my leathers. I only ride to work anymore.

Now I've got a mystery flat, 24,000 mi maintenance due, i bent a wheel on the car and its 90,000 mi maintenance is due and I haven't even managed to get the project saab out of the storage shed since the move.

badger away though. I'll help you work on Ben.
Diderich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #23
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Bah! nail.

No head...looks like a square nail or maybe a sliver of something..almost dead center in the tread.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #24
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
always, ALWAYS check tire pressures, oil, brake fluid(s), tire conditions, as often as you can. even if you have caught the dumb or lazies, at least check it once a week. I do a pre-ride check before i get on the bike EVERYTIME. (not check tire press everytime, but i check everything else before i throw a leg over.)
u know .. in the older fz6. my rear tire was with 0 psi. didnt noticed

kept riding. untill i got home and checked it was 0

never had a problem with that tire. i was even taking turns fast and felt like normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
XBIKE

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 750
2011 DR 650
2008 Buell XB9XS (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to XBIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
You never want to inflate a sport tire to 42 psi other than to set the bead. The reasoning is that you will have no grip and the ride will not be comfy in any way shape or form. try 34-36 psi.
+1 I run 35 PSI
XBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #26
skelator
Just US Racing

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GT Performer

i put nitrogen in all my tires.non flammable better gas mileage tempature does not affect psi. on the duel cab duely it gained 80 more miles to a tank of gas.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #27
ZeddXavier

Bike(s):
2008 ZX-6R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelator View Post
i put nitrogen in all my tires.non flammable better gas mileage tempature does not affect psi. on the duel cab duely it gained 80 more miles to a tank of gas.
pay attention in science class much?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #28
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

he is right the pressure does not fluctuate with temp like air

Last edited by bluewave18; 06-23-2010 at 07:08 AM.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #29
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
PV=nRT would disagree....
however, if you have liquid water in the tire, then the phase change as the tire heats up can affect pressure quite a bit. And as anyone with airtools knows...there is a fair bit of liquid water coming out of a typical air compressor. So nitrogen isn't the key...dry gas is.

Air isn't flammable either...but whatever...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #30
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Some people cant be helped. You asked a dumb question IMO and then you wanna argue over Nitrogen. Next.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #31
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788

: Is there any advantage to using nitrogen instead of compressed air in tires? Will I notice improved fuel economy or a smoother ride? Will my tires last longer?

A: Sort of. From the top: Air is 78 percent nitrogen, just under 21 percent oxygen, and the rest is water vapor, CO2 and small concentrations of noble gases such as neon and argon. We can ignore the other gases.

There are several compelling reasons to use pure nitrogen in tires.

First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings. That means more consistent inflation pressures during a race as the tires heat up. And when you're tweaking a race car's handling with half-psi changes, that's important.

Passenger cars can also benefit from the more stable pressures. But there's more: Humidity (water) is a Bad Thing to have inside a tire. Water, present as a vapor or even as a liquid in a tire, causes more of a pressure change with temperature swings than dry air does. It also promotes corrosion of the steel or aluminum rim.

If I ever need to top off a tire when I'm out on the road, I'll always briefly depress the tire chuck's valve with my thumbnail and vent some air. If my thumb gets wet, there's water in the line. Some gas stations don't do a very good job of keeping the humidity out of their air system. I don't even like to use a water-based tire-mounting lubricant unless I can let the tire bake in the sun for a couple of hours before I air it up and seat the bead. I've dismounted tires (not mine) that had several quarts of water inside—probably from a compressed-air hose that collected water and was never purged properly.

How is water relevant to a nitrogen discussion? Any system that delivers pure nitrogen is also going to deliver dry nitrogen. Filling tires with nitrogen involves filling and purging several times in succession, serially diluting the concentration of oxygen in the tire. This will also remove any water.

It's certainly simple, although time-consuming, for a tire technician to fill and bleed tires. But most shops use a machine that not only generates almost pure nitrogen by straining the oxygen out of shop-compressed air, but will also automatically go through several purge cycles unattended. Some shops have been charging as much as $30 per tire for this service. I think that's too much. If you're buying a new tire, it should be far less. Still, the nitrogen generator, filling system and technician's time aren't free—the dealer is entitled to some return for that.

So, to answer your specific questions: With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #32
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Isn't that exactly what i said?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #33
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Isnt it what I said? Your a jackass
Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #34
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Some people cant be helped. You asked a dumb question IMO and then you wanna argue over Nitrogen. Next.
Man, you really got to me. So first. This is just rude in general. Second, the FIRST time this happened to me was because the clown at cycle gear didn't properly install my tire. I brought it home, put it on my bike and went for a ride. Mid corner it bucked on me. I got home and it was leaking from the bead.

Its not a huge stretch to think that the buck was related to a sudden loss of pressure from gas burping past the bead, which was indeed leaking, resulting in a sudden shift in the sidewall.

So given my limited experience with this situation, and that i'm not an all-knowing moto- like you, it seemed like a reasonable hypothesis.

But now I know I was wrong...sometimes my hypotheses are wrong. Oh well.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #35
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderich View Post
PV=nRT would disagree....
Quote:
Isnt it what I said? Your a jackass
Not really. Air and nitrogen fluctuate exactly the same with temperature. It is the addition of liquid water that makes the difference. Maybe that's what you MEANT to say, but not what you said. You're welcome for the clarification, though.

And it is "you're".
Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #36
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Glad you could correct my spelling. ! You wanna talk rude? Someone tried to offer insight to your "reasonable hypothesis" and you turn around and argue.
When "air" is used can we not assume we are talking compressed air? When we talk "Nitrogen" can we assume were talking about "pure DRY" Nitrogen.
I will bow out now. I see the dumb engineer type mentality I'm dealing with.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #37
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

OH !! I just looked. I nailed it. Your an engineer. Never would have guessed.lol
Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #38
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderich View Post
Not really. Air and nitrogen fluctuate exactly the same with temperature. It is the addition of liquid water that makes the difference. Maybe that's what you MEANT to say, but not what you said. You're welcome for the clarification, though.

And it is "you're".
Look under his name......typo champion. He nevers spells right lol
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #39
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrRcr369 View Post
Look under his name......typo champion. He nevers spells right lol

Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #40
Diderich

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

Quote:
Glad you could correct my spelling. ! You wanna talk rude? Someone tried to offer insight to your "reasonable hypothesis" and you turn around and argue.
When "air" is used can we not assume we are talking compressed air? When we talk "Nitrogen" can we assume were talking about "pure DRY" Nitrogen.
I will bow out now. I see the dumb engineer type mentality I'm dealing with.
Ok, I'm better now.

I felt your post needed clarification. I added clarification. I guess that could be perceived as annoying. Probably why engineers don't have any friends.

Hahaha..i mised the grammar tagline. I was just being an at that point anyways though, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

I'm actually proud that you recognized the dumb engineer mentality though. I'm a sick ....

Advertisement