MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #61
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
...first thing, pop your head out of your .
2nd, grow the up...
then, and only after you've done steps one and two... read your post and re-assess.
Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Remember you are the one in control of the ride. First thing I tell a new passenger is "I dont care if you enjoy the ride or think its boring, its your choice to come ride w me today. If and when we get comfortable riding together we'll ride faster etc." That takes work on both parts.
The general stuff about keeping her hands on the tank while braking, squeezing her knees when accerating and elbows into my sizes when braking in corners(hands on tank) not only takes weight off your back and hands but also makes the passenger be aware of the ride and not daze off. It keeps their mind going and it becomes more of an 'us' ride instead of 'i ride w him.' They will feel the accomplishment even if they are doing little more then trying to save their annoyance on the back.
Starting slow w each passenger allows them to see how you ride and what you're willing to put up with. If the first ride is 'hold on or get dropped off' they will need to feel like they need to hold on for dear life which puts all of their riding weight on your person.
As w solo riding, speed, cornering etc etc comes best w fluidity and smoothness. 2 up is no exemption to that rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaFlo View Post
If you want your wife to be a better passenger, first ride in her comfort zone. While riding in her comfort zone teach her how to be a passenger. After you have learned to ride together, then maybe she will pay attention to the websites and gear. Once you learn to ride together then maybe you will be able to get more aggressive and she will be able to hang with you. The way that I see read it... you are making the experience just as painful to her as it has become to you. Another trick try this website www.g-belt.com. it has a belt with handles that she can hold onto instead of your tank.
+1 on the belt, and everything else CaligoneTx and BusaFlo said (along with several others).

Learning is a process; you have to invest time and energy in it. If you have done that, then do look at whether you are an effective teacher, and/or if she really isn't interested in being a learner. If not, then maybe you shouldn't be 2-up, as you said.
+Travis+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cushion Rear Seats for Passengers?!?!? darktoy02 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-16-2011 05:57 PM
gear up your passengers! RACER X Gear Talk 14 09-02-2009 05:50 PM
DEAD PASSENGERS......FOR REAL FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-04-2005 11:16 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #62
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #63
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstare_Gixxer View Post
You don't have one
Then who in the is this six foot four, 225 pound sitting next to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
yea but I'd be willing to bet her are bigger than yours
Aw, shucks.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #64
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post

Aw, shucks.

That's a Weenie, not a .... subtle difference. :-)
Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #65
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
That's a Weenie, not a .... subtle difference. :-)
No, no, my Weenie is a . You just haven't had a chance to get to know him.

Sorry for the threadjack - again!

MSF!
Buy her gear!
Buy her a bike!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #66
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post

Aw, shucks.
you are welcome ma'am

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #67
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

solution: angry
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #68
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

She's suppose to be in the kitchen. If she's in there then she's not on the bike. Problem solved.

Your welcome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #69
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
I hate taking passengers (s/o) It was cool at first but now I just strait tell her she ain't goin with me, whine n all u want. It ain't happenin everything I know bout the bike goes to out the door. I hate when stopping cuz she's all crushing my nuts n . When I take off aggressively it wheelies. My lower back and arms starts hurting. It just a experience that takes the joy out of riding. That's how I feel anyway.
WHAT !!!!!! i always thought yall rode good together !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
Endangering your girl. Great attitude to have....

WERD
shes endagering him too...cuz her not knowing how to lean when he leans could cause him to wreck.....or her getting scared and reacting etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
when i have a girl on the back, i NEVER NEVER do triple digits, if i wreck and kill myself for being wreckless when im riding alone, then its all on me, im not going to act like a when i have girl on the back and endanger her life for my stupidity,
cuz only triple digits kill huh??? and you can NOT act like a and have a girl on the back and she STILL gets killed cuz of another out there just saying.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #70
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxergirloh2 View Post
WHAT !!!!!! i always thought yall rode good together !!!!!!

shes endagering him too...cuz her not knowing how to lean when he leans could cause him to wreck.....or her getting scared and reacting etc.

cuz only triple digits kill huh??? and you can NOT act like a and have a girl on the back and she STILL gets killed cuz of another out there just saying.
yep your right, but the chances she might get hurt, go down, if i ride more controlled
Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #71
bigjay

Bike(s):
2000 zx9r
honda fiddy

Member Garage

my wife just recently started riding with me too. the advice i told her was to use the tank when we came to a stop and if she saw any turns coming up that scared her, just close her eyes and hold on till she feels we've straightened up. so far its worked like a charm (as long as she doesn't open her eyes too early). the only other problem i've had is she also puts all her weight on me, (nut squash). i'm trying to get her to sit a little further back on the seat, so hopefully that will solve my only problem. other than that, we have a blast riding together.
with the fingerprint issue... buy some microcloths and quick detailer!
i keep my bike pretty clean for the most part, and that quick detailer is fast & easy, & keeps my ocd in check!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #72
Diderich

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Sprint Ride Smart

hahaha...you guys are going to laugh, but if she squeezes her thighs when you stop it will keep her planted on the seat and not slide forward into you as much. That coupled with a new seat on my bike with a little better separation between rider and passenger solved the nut squash thing...except when she's not paying attention and I hit the brakes hard.

That said if YOU squeeze your thighs when you are stopping you can use your leg muscles to keep the huevos out of the tank. You should be doing this anyways when you stop, or you're putting your weight transfer into the bars which mucks up your handling.

Then ride within her limits and work her up to the longer rides, worse weather, faster speeds, more lean, and she'll grow to love it.

Or you can do what I did and get her pregnant, which keeps her off the bike all together.

I wasn't going to comment on the triple digit thing but, Janna loves about 90-105...over that the wind buffetting gets her...so that's my speed limit. Really she likes the accelleration more, so if I want to play i downshift and goose the throttle...if she's happy...i'm happy.
Diderich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #73
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorNinja500 View Post
it helped me !

and Floyd600... it's too small buddy! Thats what she said! i mean ur cartoon. im intrigued, but it's too tiny to read
lol...zoom!!!
Hey buddy! you cant see it becuase you are....02 youre doing it wrong

Last edited by floyd600; 06-21-2010 at 07:29 PM.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement