MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

israel doesn't mess around

Israeli forces cut water, power in Gaza By IBRAHIM BARZAK, Associated Press Writer
9 minutes ago

Israel kept up the pressure on Palestinian militants to release a captive Israeli soldier Wednesday, sending its warplanes to bomb a Hamas training camp after knocking out electricity and water supplies for most of the 1.3 million residents of the Gaza Strip.

Palestinians dug in behind walls and embankments, preparing for a major strike after Israel sent in troops and tanks, and bombarded bridges and a power station.

At mid-afternoon, warplanes fired missiles at open fields in northern Gaza in an effort to prevent Palestinians from launching rockets from the area, the military said. Separately, Israel attacked a rocket-making factory in southern Gaza.

No casualties were reported.

Later, Israeli aircraft struck a training camp of the Hamas militant group in Rafah, witnesses said. The army had no immediate comment.

It was Israel's first ground offensive since pulling its soldiers and settlers out of Gaza last summer. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Israel would not balk at "extreme action" to bring Cpl. Gilad Shalit, 19, home but did not intend to reoccupy Gaza.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas deplored the incursion as a "crime against humanity," and a leading Hamas politician issued a call to arms against the Israeli troops.

Meanwhile, concerns about the fate of a missing West Bank settler grew after militants claiming to hold him displayed what they said was a copy of his identification card.

Israeli tanks and soldiers began taking up positions east of Rafah overnight under cover of tank shells, witnesses and Palestinian security officials said. Capt. Jacob Dallal, a military spokesman, said troops moved a mile inside the coastal strip.

Israeli warplanes fired at least nine missiles at Gaza's only power station, cutting electricity to 65 percent of the Gaza Strip, engineers at the station said. The station's three functioning turbines and a gasoline reservoir were engulfed in flames.

Wasfi Kabha, the Palestinian minister of prisoner affairs in the Hamas, said that the Israeli attacks were creating a "humanitarian crisis."

"They hit the bridges, they hit the power station, so there will be a problem in water supply and health services," he told the British Broadcasting Corp.

The Israeli military said in a statement that three bridges were attacked "to impair the ability of the terrorists to transfer the kidnapped soldier." Knocking down the bridges cut Gaza in two, Palestinian security officials said.

Witnesses reported heavy artillery shelling near the long-closed Gaza airport outside of Rafah, just over the border with Israel. In Rafah, a shack where militants produced and stored rockets was on fire after Israel attacked it, witnesses said.

Warplanes, meanwhile, flew low over the strip, rocking it with sonic booms and shattering windows. And troops in Israel backed up the assault, firing artillery into Gaza.

"We won't hesitate to carry out extreme action to bring Gilad back to his family," Olmert said. "All the military activity that started overnight will continue in the coming days."

"We do not intend to reoccupy Gaza. We have one objective, and that is to bring Gilad home."

Olmert repeated that Israel will not negotiate Shalit's release with militant groups.

Shalit was taken captive Sunday during an attack on a southern Israeli military post by militants affiliated with the Palestinians' ruling Hamas party. The Palestinian government has called for the soldier's release, but Israel believes the group's Syria-based leaders ordered the operation.

Israeli Justice Minister Haim Ramon said Hamas's Syria-based political chief, Khaled Mashaal, was "not immune" from Israeli reprisal.

"Khaled Mashaal, as someone who is overseeing, actually commanding the terror acts, is definitely a target," Ramon, an Olmert confidant, told Army Radio. The station interpreted his comments as meaning Mashaal was a target for assassination.

Ramon told Israel Radio in a separate interview that he believed diplomacy had run its course.

Abbas deplored the Israeli invasion in a statement.

"The president considers the aggression that targeted the civilian infrastructures to be collective punishment and a crime against humanity," the statement said.

Abbas, it added, urged the U.S. and international Mideast negotiators to intervene to halt the operation.

An aide said Abbas called Syrian President Bashar Assad to ask him to persuade Mashaal to free the soldier. Assad promised to do so, the aide said on condition of anonymity because he was discussing private talks.

Deputy Prime Minister Nasser Shaer of Hamas said his government, too, was trying to resolve the situation diplomatically, but he would not say whether that involved direct contact with Israel.

"We call for an immediate halt to the invasion, and urge that the soldier's life be spared," Shaer said.

Residents of northern Gaza, preparing for what they feared could be a long military operation, stocked up on food, batteries for radios and candles.

But the normally bustling streets in southern Gaza, where the invasion was launched, were eerily deserted, with people taking refuge inside their homes.

The Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt Gaza's main link to the outside world has been closed since Sunday's attack. Usually, there is some activity in the area, even when the passage is closed, but Wednesday it was empty.

Israeli troops, backed by tanks, took over the Gaza airport. Dozens of people living near the airport left their homes, seeking sanctuary in nearby Rafah.

A small grocery near the airport was open, but no one was inside except the owner, 45-year-old Allah Abu Jazr.

"All options are open, but let's hope this crisis will pass," Abu Jazr said. "We want the soldier to return home, just as we want our prisoners to come home."

Militants said they fired rockets early Wednesday at the Israeli village of Nahal Oz, the Israeli forces' staging area, and at other Israeli targets.

Dallal said the army was prepared for a long operation, and "everything is on the table."

The militants who seized Shalit have demanded the release of hundreds of Palestinian women and children held in Israeli jails in exchange for information about the captured soldier.

Trying to defuse building tensions, negotiators from the ruling Hamas movement said Tuesday they had accepted a document that Abbas allies say implicitly recognizes Israel. But Mashaal's No. 2, Moussa Abu Marzouk, denied a final deal had been reached.

Shalit's abduction Sunday by Hamas' military wing and two other Hamas-linked groups has threatened to turn already devastated relations between Israel and the Hamas-led government into all-out war. Hamas took over the Palestinian Authority after winning parliamentary elections in January, and has been under international pressure to renounce violence and recognize Israel.

Complicating matters was a new claim by the Hamas-linked Popular Resistance Committees, one of the three groups that carried out Sunday's assault, that it had also kidnapped a Jewish settler, 18-year-old Eliahu Asheri, in the West Bank.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the report was being taken "very seriously."

At a news conference at a Gaza City mosque on Wednesday, PRC militants displayed what they said was a copy of Asheri's identification card, and reiterated threats to kill him if Israel did not end its Gaza invasion.

A spokesman for the group also warned that the PRC had just begun its campaign to seize soldiers.

"The operation of kidnapping soldiers has started and is in a countdown," spokesman Mohammed Abdel Al said.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Israel invades Gaza urbanXJ Off Topic 2 07-17-2014 09:04 PM
Why did Israel attack Syria? Petro Off Topic 4 08-29-2013 12:14 PM
9/11 and Israel Petro Off Topic 5 09-11-2012 05:46 PM
When will Israel attack Iran? FKNA Off Topic 14 04-13-2009 07:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

bushhitler1ly

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:24 AM   #3
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Guess Israel aint no punk.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
DOA
MH's slowest 600hp Busa

Feedback Rating: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
bushhitler1ly
Judging from your pic, that makes Osama the good guy?

-d
DOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
speedismo
OCD for speed

BOTH ISRAEL AND PALESTINE ARE TERRORISTS. PERIOD.

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
Except only one of those targets innocent civilians.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy
Except only one of those targets innocent civilians.
except u listen to a biased media, and except u trust them willingly without using ur own brain.

there is a book called EXODUS. read that up... u will learn how Israel was created, what were Palestinians supposed to get, whta they got, and how they were ousted from their own land..just 50 years back!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
bushhitler1ly
you closet liberal!
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Quote:
except u listen to a biased media, and except u trust them willingly without using ur own brain.

there is a book called EXODUS. read that up... u will learn how Israel was created, what were Palestinians supposed to get, whta they got, and how they were ousted from their own land..just 50 years back!
Show me an example of the Isrealis attacking the Palestinians or Hezbollah from the roofs of civilian buildings or using human shields in any other form and I'll read your book.

BTW, I know how Israel was created and we can't do anything about England's Imperial actions after WWI.

Edit: I'm not in an argumentative mood today, but honestly tell me what Israel should do when several of their neighbors openly call for their destruction.

Last edited by Drumboy; 07-24-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
DOA
MH's slowest 600hp Busa

Feedback Rating: (15)

Quote:
So we should support the guys that are killing our people in the middle east? Seems to me that you should pick your friends more carefully, and know who your enemies are more clearly.

I'd rather much deal with Israel as an ally than the filthy throat cutters.

-d
DOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #11
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I think we should turn the middle east into a huge golf resort.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

I think we (the USA) should stay out of it. The people in that region have been fighting each other for thousands of years. It'll never end.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #13
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
I think we (the USA) should stay out of it. The people in that region have been fighting each other for thousands of years. It'll never end.
Ditto! But the USA has always supported Isreal behind the scenes,and it always will!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Impossible at this point. Time to be realistic.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I think we should turn the middle east into a huge golf resort.
or a giant glass sculpture.

*hint for a nuke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrobert
or a giant glass sculpture.

*hint for a nuke*
It is unfortunate... I am a very passive person when it comes to war. I was against us ever going in because I was not being lead blindly by a biased media but, we do have to accept that we are in it and have screwed things up royaly. This has allowed all kinds of uprise to occur. So, what are we supposed to do?

Old 07-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
MadseasoN

Quote:
Impossible at this point.
And why is that?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy
Show me an example of the Isrealis attacking the Palestinians or Hezbollah from the roofs of civilian buildings or using human shields in any other form and I'll read your book.

BTW, I know how Israel was created and we can't do anything about England's Imperial actions after WWI.

Edit: I'm not in an argumentative mood today, but honestly tell me what Israel should do when several of their neighbors openly call for their destruction.
u think ONLY terrorists die when Israel fires a missile at hezbollah? if u thought so, then read:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/23/perry.tyre/

and now dont call it a one off incident.. actually, this is just a sample.

and only Israel knows what it should do, all i know is that ANY INNOCENT person killed KNOWINGLY, on ANY side, is terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
So we should support the guys that are killing our people in the middle east?
do u think supporting and no supporting r the only two options?
here is a lil story for u:
Teacher: Why are no swiss people killed in middle-east

Little JOhnny: Thats is so teacher, cos they mind their own business and dont get messed up in somebody else's affairs.

Teacher: Good boy!
:icon_bigg but yes sir, that is definitely an option.

and Moody, if u may, can we plz make it an indoor, a/c golf resort..its a lil hot there u c:icon_smil

Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
And why is that?
Think of the additional uprise if we pulled out and left the country and entire area in shambles. Not a good idea at this point in my opinion but, of course none of it ever was. :eh:

Old 07-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #20
MadseasoN

Quote:
Think of the additional uprise if we pulled out and left the country and entire area in shambles. Not a good idea at this point in my opinion but, of course none of it ever was. :eh:
I think you're referring to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Advertisement