MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
cdonnelly
The Big Spank Daddy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'96 GPZ1100
'93 750 Nighthawk

Can't Keep Up?

So my buddy here in Okieville decided he wanted a bike. Tall thin, peircings and tatoos, definitely the cruiser type. He finds what I would say was a nice Honda 1200 Shadow with two tone paint, big white wall tires, wind screen, straight (Loud) chrome pipes and bags. Actually a very nice bike as cruiser go.

On our first ride I take it pretty easy and run 65 to 70 in a 65 zone. I come to a slow rock truck and pass it. Just in front of it is a slow SUV and I soon pass it also, all the while staying at or near the speed limit. As I look back I notice he is not passing

After a few miles his head light is out of sight so I pull over, letting the SUV and rock truck back by only to find him putting along at 60 or so. After that I asked him why he did not pass. He said his bike just did not have the power and all it could do was 85.

This past week he is going to go with Cindy and I on a short ride. I teased him for weeks about how Cindy's 17 year old 750 Nighthawk has no problems keeping up with me and as a matter of fact I'm quite impressed on how she manages to do so. I rag on him repeatedly about how he just needs to twist the throttle a bit more and no way does CIndy's Nighthawk have any more power than his big 1200 V-twin. Cindy also gives him a hard time and tells him, "You have to down shift and give it some gas..."

The day comes and we head to Seminole for some BBQ. Not wanting to be out done by a girl on a girly, bike he does a good job passing cars and keeping pace with Cindy. Then we get to some twisty stuff. Cindy does good for not have been riding for two years and keeps me in her sights. BTW I also have my Grandson on the back waving his arms and feet around playing with the wind. My buddy in the meantime is way out of sight. After the ride Cindy ask how she was doing and hoped she was not holding him back. He said he couldn't do but the speed limit in the corners and even slower on the tighter stuff because he had all sorts of stuff dragging the ground.

Its all just a bit funny because he was telling the guys at work how there was no way Cindy could out ride him on her little sissy Nighthawk.

And to make it worse, before the ride, My 8 year old grandson said, "Grandpa, how come he doesn't wear gear?" I said, "I don't know, why don't you ask him." He did which embarassed my buddy a bit.

Good thing about all of this is that this week he bought a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and a good helmet. See, some good did come of my constant ribbing
cdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
That's a tough spot to be in...

I mean around the Harley guys he wont be accepted... and we can only wait so long at each stop sign

Im just kiddin... Glad he's got the gear now....
Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdonnelly View Post
So my buddy here in Okieville decided he wanted a bike. Tall thin, peircings and tatoos, definitely the cruiser type. He finds what I would say was a nice Honda 1200 Shadow with two tone paint, big white wall tires, wind screen, straight (Loud) chrome pipes and bags. Actually a very nice bike as cruiser go.

On our first ride I take it pretty easy and run 65 to 70 in a 65 zone. I come to a slow rock truck and pass it. Just in front of it is a slow SUV and I soon pass it also, all the while staying at or near the speed limit. As I look back I notice he is not passing

After a few miles his head light is out of sight so I pull over, letting the SUV and rock truck back by only to find him putting along at 60 or so. After that I asked him why he did not pass. He said his bike just did not have the power and all it could do was 85.

This past week he is going to go with Cindy and I on a short ride. I teased him for weeks about how Cindy's 17 year old 750 Nighthawk has no problems keeping up with me and as a matter of fact I'm quite impressed on how she manages to do so. I rag on him repeatedly about how he just needs to twist the throttle a bit more and no way does CIndy's Nighthawk have any more power than his big 1200 V-twin. Cindy also gives him a hard time and tells him, "You have to down shift and give it some gas..."

The day comes and we head to Seminole for some BBQ. Not wanting to be out done by a girl on a girly, bike he does a good job passing cars and keeping pace with Cindy. Then we get to some twisty stuff. Cindy does good for not have been riding for two years and keeps me in her sights. BTW I also have my Grandson on the back waving his arms and feet around playing with the wind. My buddy in the meantime is way out of sight. After the ride Cindy ask how she was doing and hoped she was not holding him back. He said he couldn't do but the speed limit in the corners and even slower on the tighter stuff because he had all sorts of stuff dragging the ground.

Its all just a bit funny because he was telling the guys at work how there was no way Cindy could out ride him on her little sissy Nighthawk.

And to make it worse, before the ride, My 8 year old grandson said, "Grandpa, how come he doesn't wear gear?" I said, "I don't know, why don't you ask him." He did which embarassed my buddy a bit.

Good thing about all of this is that this week he bought a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and a good helmet. See, some good did come of my constant ribbing
Don't take this the wrong way but how do tattoo's and piercings make someone a cruiser type? I am heavily, HEAVILY, tattooed and have 17 piercings (less than usual) and although I own one of the baddest muscle bikes around I also have 3 sport bikes. Just curious
Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxgirl View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but how do tattoo's and piercings make someone a cruiser type? I am heavily, HEAVILY, tattooed and have 17 piercings (less than usual) and although I own one of the baddest muscle bikes around I also have 3 sport bikes. Just curious
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww $hiat............. look what u started man
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
randomwalk101

the guy is riding within in limits (whatever that may be)...shouldn't push him to do whatever he's not comfortable with.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Wait why does skinny with tattoos and piercings mean cruiser?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
the guy is riding within in limits (whatever that may be)...shouldn't push him to do whatever he's not comfortable with.
Exactly
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
exactly what I'm thinking.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MORE F4I View Post
That's what SHE said!
Quote:
EXACTLY!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

hmmm am i the only one worried that you were riding around on at high speeds with an 8 year old flaying about ?!?!?!?! do they make full gear for 3rd graders!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

I try not to have negative "hater" type input, but there are definitely some points and assumptions made by the OP that I find disturbing.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I try not to have negative "hater" type input, but there are definitely some points and assumptions made by the OP that I find disturbing.
I'd have to agree. As long as people don't try talking mess about how good they are then who cares how fast they ride.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

I'm not sure what a 1200 Shadow is.
One of my bikes is a 1100 Shadow Sabre.
Better than a year ago I took a ride with some MH riders with it.
By no means a fast group but not noobs either
To hang with them there were two factors.

1) Can not let them pull ahead or you will not catch up.
2) The Cruiser needs to be run near red line all the time

You feel the frame flex in the turns, and your draging the pegs.

Do not expect a cruiser to keep pace with a sport bike.
Let your buddy ride his own ride and let him be comfortable doing so.
Do not drag others into situations beyond their skill or thier bikes perfromance envelope.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:

werd

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
I am heavily, HEAVILY, tattooed and have 17 piercings
No way, you lie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MORE F4I View Post
Because you're supposed to ride without gear and show it all off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorNinja500 View Post
hmmm am i the only one worried that you were riding around on at high speeds with an 8 year old flaying about ?!?!?!?! do they make full gear for 3rd graders!!!!
My thoughts exactly

Last edited by IndyRC; 06-17-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: fix quote
IndyRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Mike must be a dentist
Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

man, this thing has gone WAYYYY off the rails! can we get back on track here?!?!?!?!

now then...... i'd like to see pics of all 17 piercings v max girl is talking about!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
cdonnelly
The Big Spank Daddy

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'96 GPZ1100
'93 750 Nighthawk

I suppose technically speaking 70 in a 65 would be speeding but not exactly what I would consider reckless by any stretch of the imagination. The Grandson has full gear, thus the reason for his question, "...why doesn't he wear gear...?"

Also, a '93 Nighthawk is by no means a "Super Bike".
cdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
gueroaero
@ shcool

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Vulcan 1500

I used to have a shadow 750, used to pass at above 85mph He just wasn't comfortable at speed.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Best for him to ride at his skill level & maybe later take the rides a bit faster .
Hate to too read a rip thread on him.

Advertisement