MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #21
Tim Vipond
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Tim Vipond is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Synthetic oil vs Conventional oil vince7 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 09-08-2011 09:56 PM
Cheap Synthetic Oil!!!!! randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-25-2010 01:25 PM
need some synthetic oil craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-27-2009 10:24 AM
synthetic oil? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 05-18-2007 10:58 AM
Favorite synthetic oil? Derek Steptoe How To's and Q & A's 18 05-16-2006 07:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #22
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #23
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

ROTELLA T and ROTELLA T Synthetic are universal oils, providing lubrication and protection for four-stroke diesel and many four-stroke gasoline engines (but not aviation piston engines). We do not performance test these products in motorcycle engines, so any comment must be based on oil performance specifications and oil chemistry.

Most motorcycle engine manufacturers recommend oil by API Service Category. Some, like Harley (when their brand of oil is not available), recommend API CG-or CH-4 oils, which are diesel performance categories. Others recommend API SL, SJ, or earlier Service Category oil for gasoline engines. Where the engine oil sump also serves the wet clutch and transmission, oils without friction modifiers are usually recommended.

Both ROTELLA T products exceed all the API Service Category performance requirements mentioned above. They are formulated principally as heavy-duty diesel oils. Compared to most passenger car gasoline engine oils, they have superior oxidation resistance, superior extreme pressure wear protection, superior high temperature-high shear viscosity, and superior detergency and dispersancy - and they contain NO friction modifier additives. If I were to choose oil for a motorcycle engine, these are qualities I would want. Clearly, ROTELLA T Multigrade and ROTELLA T Synthetic would be better choices for motorcycle engines than passenger car only oils. Without knowing the composition of, and performance specifications met by, "motorcycle oils", it is not possible to compare the ROTELLA T products performance to them.

ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 is a universal oil, meeting needs of many 4-stroke gasoline as well as most diesel engines. It has performance credentials (API Service Categories SL and CI-4) for lubricating both kinds of engines.

It's best to consult your owner's manual for recommended oil quality. If your engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting any of these API Service Categories; CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, and/or SH, SJ, and SL, or any earlier but obsolete category, then ROTELLA T may be a good choice.

ROTELLA T Multigrade does not contain friction modifiers, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2 and GF-3 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content. Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines) extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements, which limits ash content to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T Multigrade exceeds this limit.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #24
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
ROTELLA T and ROTELLA T Synthetic are universal oils, providing lubrication and protection for four-stroke diesel and many four-stroke gasoline engines (but not aviation piston engines). We do not performance test these products in motorcycle engines, so any comment must be based on oil performance specifications and oil chemistry.

Most motorcycle engine manufacturers recommend oil by API Service Category. Some, like Harley (when their brand of oil is not available), recommend API CG-or CH-4 oils, which are diesel performance categories. Others recommend API SL, SJ, or earlier Service Category oil for gasoline engines. Where the engine oil sump also serves the wet clutch and transmission, oils without friction modifiers are usually recommended.

Both ROTELLA T products exceed all the API Service Category performance requirements mentioned above. They are formulated principally as heavy-duty diesel oils. Compared to most passenger car gasoline engine oils, they have superior oxidation resistance, superior extreme pressure wear protection, superior high temperature-high shear viscosity, and superior detergency and dispersancy - and they contain NO friction modifier additives. If I were to choose oil for a motorcycle engine, these are qualities I would want. Clearly, ROTELLA T Multigrade and ROTELLA T Synthetic would be better choices for motorcycle engines than passenger car only oils. Without knowing the composition of, and performance specifications met by, "motorcycle oils", it is not possible to compare the ROTELLA T products performance to them.

ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 is a universal oil, meeting needs of many 4-stroke gasoline as well as most diesel engines. It has performance credentials (API Service Categories SL and CI-4) for lubricating both kinds of engines.

It's best to consult your owner's manual for recommended oil quality. If your engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting any of these API Service Categories; CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, and/or SH, SJ, and SL, or any earlier but obsolete category, then ROTELLA T may be a good choice.

ROTELLA T Multigrade does not contain friction modifiers, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2 and GF-3 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content. Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines) extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements, which limits ash content to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T Multigrade exceeds this limit.
stop cutting and pasting and do real world reasearch on forums and such.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php...hlight=rotella

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #25
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vipond View Post
Yes, mostly wholesale to the motorcycle shops in the Houston area, including several sponsors here.
you sound like a salesman...just curious though. I've been using royal purple and I'm happy with it. use it in the bike, car, boat, 50... no issues
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #26
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
you sound like a salesman...just curious though. I've been using royal purple and I'm happy with it. use it in the bike, car, boat, 50... no issues
RotelaT, I use it in the bike, truck and deep fryer. Im happwith it no issues.

How do you like them apples. And I paid less.
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #27
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #29
paniro187

Quote:
I'm not sure what 3 year old testimonials on an obsolete, no longer available Rotella have to do with the newly EPA reformulated Rotella T of this year. Do you have any long term motorcycle test data on this current product?
do the research the info is everywhere just google rotella t motorcycles and forums pop up everywhere of people using the stuff. you just keep right ahead duping people into drinking your overpriced kool aid. btw i use it in my dirt bike now with no problems works for me. that's really all that matters.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #30
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #31
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I for one will trust a layman/do-it-your-self-er over some silly scientist!

Those scientists are always trying to tell us something... what do THEY know?!

PS... BAN ALL SCIENTISTS (especially ones who support a quality product!)
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #32
Mr. Evo IX

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 GSXR1000
04 KTM SX50

The new RotellaT6 is JASO MA spec.. so there you have it. Meet's requirements of motorcycle mfr's now.
Mr. Evo IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #33
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Very long and informative read on oil. I have used past Rotella T and what Tim Vipond says about detergents is true. I have actually seen cummins motors that foam due to not leaving Rotella in long enough to break down the detergents. The fact that they are adding more to it concerns me. And I am a die hard to rotella in my diesels. As for amsoil, I have used twice and got long life out of it with testing. I honestly feel you will be fine with any oil as this article suggests.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...=haas_articles
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #34
Mr. Evo IX

Bike(s):
08 GSXR1000
04 KTM SX50

New JASO oil standards (MA1, MA2):

JASO effectively added the JASO-MA2 & JASO-MA1 specifications by splitting the existing JASO-MA spec into two groups by friction-performance (MA1 is the lower friction oils; MA2 the higher friction oils). The change came out as final/approved in 2006 in response to catalytic converters becoming widespread in bikes (EPA/EU requirements).

The new specs add a phosphorous content ceiling (better protect catalytic converters by using less, but phosphorous is also anti-wear additive, so it could be less start-up protection).

Quote:
I haven't seen anywhere where anyone has used this years newly EPA reformulated Rotella T for any extended length of time. It has only been available for a few months. Too many unnecessary detergents and dispersants which provide no lubrication for needed for motorcycle transmissions. How long and how many miles have you been using the new current EPA formulation? How often do you change it?
How long has Amsoil been JASO-MA2?

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; 06-15-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #35
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X 05 View Post
When I bought my R1 it had just had a new oil change done on it now that it has a little over 2,500 miles on it I want to go back to using full Synthetic Oil
I asked him what was in the bike and he said Motul If I'm correct I think it must be Motul 3000 which is not synthetic oil(correct?) I want to go back to using Amsoil I've always used it in all the bikes I've had so just want to stick with what I like best for me. My Question is. Has anyone had a problem switching from Motul non synthetic to a full synthetic? saw something posted a while back saying they were noticing slippage from their change. So any help would be appreciated plan on changing it myself today so want to ask before I get started. Thanks in Advance.
This will help answer your question.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

Quote:
Can synthetic oils cause my clutch to slip?
To answer this in one word: No. Clutch slippage is caused by many things, but the use of synthetic oil alone is usually not the culprit. The truth is that some bikes seem to suffer clutch slippage no matter what oil goes in them, while others run fine with any oil. This is most likely caused by factors other than the oil, such as the spring pressure, age and clutch plate materials. If you have a bike known for clutch problems, you may have to be more selective in your oil choices. Moly is often blamed for clutch slippage, and it can have an effect-but moly alone is not the problem. We wish there was a hard and fast rule to follow, but it is just not that easy. Simply put, you will have to try an oil and evaluate it. If you experience slippage with the new oil, and have not had problems before, it may be the oil. The plates and/or springs could also be worn to the point that they have finally started to slip. Simply change back to the previous oil and see what happens. You can also check the test data in next issue's article to see if that particular oil has a significant amount of moly. If so, try one that does not have as much moly next time.

We talked to Mark Junge, Vesrah's Racing representative, who has won numerous WERA national championships using Vesrah's clutches. He said that in his years of engine work he has yet to see a slipping clutch that could be pinned on synthetic motor oil. Junge felt that nearly every time the clutch was marginal or had worn springs, the new oil just revealed a problem that already existed.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #36
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Last edited by Tim Vipond; 06-15-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #37
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #38
Mr. Evo IX

Bike(s):
08 GSXR1000
04 KTM SX50

Exclamation

Quote:
Actually, JASO MA is one motorcycle spec, mainly pertains to wet clutches, not transmission protection. The others are covered when the motorcycle manual states "use a motorcycle oil". Since the Rotella website does not even list the word motorcycle anywhere, I think it is safe to assume it is not a motorcycle oil. The Rotella T6 is also a 5w40, so check your manual to make sure that viscosity is allowed. 5w40s contain more polymeric viscosity improvers, which do not provide any lubrication, and are among the first components to break down and shear the oil to a lower viscosity grade.
I'm not saying Amsoil is bad oil, in fact it's allegedly quite good, I've never used it though. I've seen UAO's for the Amsoil products and the new RotellaT6 and there was nothing in them to steer me from using T6.

From the information I've gathered, MA2 is a downgrade of MA for the purpose of extending the life of catalytic converters at the risk of reduced life of internal engine components. That doesnt sound like a trade off I'm interested in making.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #39
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #40
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The bottom line is.. very few are gonna have a bike long enough for it to matter. Use what ever oil gives you the warm fuzzy feeling.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement