MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

My recent oil change experience

Before anyone says "here we go again another oil thread" I wanted to post my recent experience.

I ride a track only 2006 KTM950SM which has a dry sump lubrication system.
Basically it has a separate oil reservoir instead of having an oil pan to store the oil. There are other advantages about utilizing a dry sump system for performance engines but I only mentioned it because this engine has a screen tube to filter the oil before re-entering the tank and a long paper style filter common to dirt bike engines that is used before that oil is sent to the engine for lubrication. I use the KTM preferred Motorex 10W-50 Syn T which runs around $15.00 per quart. The oil capacity is 3.5 quarts and the screen gets cleaned and the filter replaced at $19.00.
Thats $80.00 per change!!!

I just changed the oil at the start of the track day season and the bike has 600 track miles for this year. I figured I would do a complete oil change which requires draining the slight amount of oil at the bottom of the engine, the reservoir, and cleaning the screen and replacing the filter.
The drain plug after removal had the usual pieces of clutch material and slight metal particles on the magnetic part of the plug which is totally normal. The bike has an STM slipper clutch which in my opinion wears the plates a little more than without it.
Anyway I cleaned my oil drain pan really well before I started my project to make sure I could get a good view of how "dirty" the oil looked after 600 hard miles of track use.
I brought home a white paper funnel/filter from the shop that we use to strain paint before putting it into the paint gun cups. Nice and white and clean for my inspection of the oil that I was changing. I poured the oil through the funnel and into a clean clear plastic cup for inspection. There were no particles of dirt or metal in the sample I tested and the the oil that I took out of my engine looked amazingly clean.
I really thought long and hard about re-using it!!!!

In my years of racing 4 cylinder bikes I never really looked at the old oil.
I just dumped the old and added new and screwed on a new filter.

This is not an ad for Motorex oil just a thread about how long oil can last in track conditions and I can assure you I am going to wait till 1500-2000 miles before I change it again!!!!
I do think the dry sump system which has 2 filtering methods may attribute to cleaner oil than a engine without it but I am sold on the fact that these modern synthetic oils can be used much longer than most people keep them in their engines.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil questions - Time for an oil change bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-09-2014 08:32 PM
Need Help doing Oil Change. The Un-Speed How To's and Q & A's 9 12-07-2010 05:16 PM
Oil Change NewRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 08-18-2010 12:51 PM
oil change NTENNEY How To's and Q & A's 8 03-23-2009 10:42 PM
need some to change my oil bikerboyz Off Topic 20 04-16-2006 08:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Before anyone says "here we go again another oil thread" I wanted to post my recent experience.

I ride a track only 2006 KTM950SM which has a dry sump lubrication system.
Basically it has a separate oil reservoir instead of having an oil pan to store the oil. There are other advantages about utilizing a dry sump system for performance engines but I only mentioned it because this engine has a screen tube to filter the oil before re-entering the tank and a long paper style filter common to dirt bike engines that is used before that oil is sent to the engine for lubrication. I use the KTM preferred Motorex 10W-50 Syn T which runs around $15.00 per quart. The oil capacity is 3.5 quarts and the screen gets cleaned and the filter replaced at $19.00.
Thats $80.00 per change!!!

I just changed the oil at the start of the track day season and the bike has 600 track miles for this year. I figured I would do a complete oil change which requires draining the slight amount of oil at the bottom of the engine, the reservoir, and cleaning the screen and replacing the filter.
The drain plug after removal had the usual pieces of clutch material and slight metal particles on the magnetic part of the plug which is totally normal. The bike has an STM slipper clutch which in my opinion wears the plates a little more than without it.
Anyway I cleaned my oil drain pan really well before I started my project to make sure I could get a good view of how "dirty" the oil looked after 600 hard miles of track use.
I brought home a white paper funnel/filter from the shop that we use to strain paint before putting it into the paint gun cups. Nice and white and clean for my inspection of the oil that I was changing. I poured the oil through the funnel and into a clean clear plastic cup for inspection. There were no particles of dirt or metal in the sample I tested and the the oil that I took out of my engine looked amazingly clean.
I really thought long and hard about re-using it!!!!

In my years of racing 4 cylinder bikes I never really looked at the old oil.
I just dumped the old and added new and screwed on a new filter.

This is not an ad for Motorex oil just a thread about how long oil can last in track conditions and I can assure you I am going to wait till 1500-2000 miles before I change it again!!!!
I do think the dry sump system which has 2 filtering methods may attribute to cleaner oil than a engine without it but I am sold on the fact that these modern synthetic oils can be used much longer than most people keep them in their engines.

my concern would be judging how "worn" or not the oil is by looking at it
600 track miles sounds like a good return to me, not sure if I would spin the dice on 1500.
just my .02 cents
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
jcat
Banned

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Do a UOA

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Its 20.00 or so to have the sample lab tested
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Its 20.00 or so to have the sample lab tested
+1 I use these guys http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

The Royal Purple rep just left our dealership in Humble and I'm bringing him a sample to take to their lab on Monday.
Stay tuned.........
Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Thats one of the selling points of modern synthetics, probably wouldnt hurt to go to about 1000 miles, but to each their own.

Advertisement