MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Tire review: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC3 (Yellow)

I'm not the fastest guy at the racetrack or the most knowledgable guy when it comes to tires, but I did get the opportunity to try some tires back to back for comparison. You may or may not have ridden on the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC3 (Yellow) compound in the past....but Pirelli has stepped up their game with the newly REVISED SC3 180/55 DOT race tire. The name is the same, but the compound has definately improved! You don't have to take my word for it, but give them a try and find out for yourself!

Initial grip:
When comparing the SC3 to the SC1 (Blue Soft sprint tire), the SC1 offered a better "out of the box" initial grip. About 2-3 laps later, the SC3's grip started to "come in". You can literally feel the tire starting to get it's grip! It seemed the harder you put the tire to work, the more compliant it became.

Feel:
The SC1's characteristic feels like somewhat of a squish then instant traction! The newly designed SC3 feels like it has a harder carcass compared to the SC1 when applying throttle. You don't get that squish and hook, but what you do get is a better feel of traction coming in as you apply throttle. Basically you feel the tire hooking up the whole way through the throttle application. I spun up the rear tire on exit once this weekend. I had it fully cranked over and tried to make up time on the the throttle. On the previous SC3 I would get a lot of wheel spin, especially once the tire started wearing off. It really took effort to get the tire to spin up, but when it did, it gave an AWESOME amount of feedback telling me "no more throttle!!!" It was very predictable that a slide/spin up was about to happen. The previous SC3 compound did not offer as much feel as the newly designed SC3.

Lifespan of tire:
Usually after some racing, I can tell how long a tire would last me (considering I don't have air pressure or suspension issues). After my practice sessions and sprints, my tire looked phenominal! The tires look like I barely went out and scrubbed them in! I would think at my pace I can probably get a minimum of 2 more days out of this rear. That's saying something because with the SC1, I would make my sprint races and MAYBE 1 day on it.

Left side of tire
2ef7soy

Right side of tire
29egpbc

Final thoughts:
I was weary to go out and sprint on an SC3 compound tire. SC3 is the compound that pirelli describes as their "hard" compound. John Hutchinson told me that Pirelli changed up the compound on the SC3 and gave me the low down....and I still had a hard time believing it. So I bought 2 rears, one to try out and get my suspension setup for, and 1 to go race on! It was a great choice, and i'm sure the next time around i'm gonna go out and do 4 sprints on the same rear. (Normally I could probably toast a rear tire in 2 sprint races) I'll continue to use the newly designed SC3 for racing and trackdays. If I feel like I wanna go out and set some new personal records, or I want an all out brawl, i'd opt for the SC1 still.

If you need proof that these are good tires, I got a 1:19.5 lap time at Hallett with these. That was the fastest lap set by any MH/HPC member besides Ty Howard of course.

If you are interested in more information or you'd like to purchase these race tires, contact John Hutchinson with South Central Race Center and i'm sure he'd be happy to help.

www.scracecenter.com
Phone - (281) 703-0296
Fax - (281) 259-5961
Email - sales@scracecenter.com

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote