MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #61
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
2016 R1200RS

Member Garage

This is the normal trend for "SMR's".

They all start small, with a few good friends... and no issues
Then they get posted up, and new people start getting added to the mix, no prob at first
Then they get large, and you start having crashes, and more run in's with the 5-0, and more complaints from the locals... the more mix you add to the ride, the more egos and problems you get as a result

Then that particular SMR group disappears or moves to a different forum... and the cycle begins again.

It only seems "new" to those who are new to the sport. Us old farts have seen it more than once.

My point of view is once you get past a certain "X" number of riders, and have more than a couple new ones, and start having to split into "groups" based on rider ability... that is the point where the traditional "Spirited SMR" ends and you have to tail it back a bunch to keep it sane.
Anytime you start having to have groups, you'll have the ones who try and run too fast and get over their heads. And you'll have to ones that get dropped and frustated and vent on the board.

It's just a fact of life.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW Sunday Morning Ride May 12th. sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 95 05-23-2013 11:23 AM
**** SMR (Sunday Morning Ride 12/30) NOOB Ride Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 69 01-05-2013 09:33 PM
SUNDAY MORNING RIDE SW BLAKE81 Events, Meets and Rides 4 05-13-2012 07:23 AM
SW Sunday Ride August 30 sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 40 08-30-2009 06:50 PM
Sunday morning.. Crab river SW 12/30 aboo007 Events, Meets and Rides 7 12-28-2007 11:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #62
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2003 Honda VFR800

I sat down to write up a long commentary on this; half way through it, it just hit me that it is a waste of time, so I deleted it.

I will be curious to see what happened today with this group. My SMR went well (as it has for over three years now).

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #63
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
While I don't agree with how Markgsxr went about his "warning", I do believe it might be a favor for people thinking about going on these rides.

I have been posting the rides since 09 and i have always mentioned to wear as much gear as you can because it is a "Serious Ride"

You talk about keeping 2 bike length distances at all times....
then floyd600 talks about a few people passing in the turns.

Texlurch put it very nicely.... we started as a group of friends and then the group got bigger and bigger.... from point A to B we do keep a distance of about 2-4 bikes all times, but once we get to the back roads the group splits up and the less experienced ride at their own pace in the "back" and the front group are mostly the more experienced riders and close friends that know how each person rides.... Since we are all friends, we like to have a little friendly challenge between ourselves to make it a little more fun for the guys riding in the "front group". All of the passing are kept in the front group. The second group ride at their own pace and there is no passing at all! Floyd is correct, there is a lot of passing but it's pretty much limited to the riders in the first group. Most of the people that do complain are due to the fact that they put themselves in the first group and can't really keep up with the pace, so they eventually get passed and their ego get the best of them and when they get home, they immediately jump into the forums to complain about it....

Then you post an excerpt from "The Pace" which talks about your lane being your limit and intolerable to break. Then someone posts a vid of someone going from outside of the lane to outside oncoming traffic lane in a turn.

I did post the "PACE" because i think it's an excellent article for all to read if they have the time! if you ever followed behind me you will notice that that's exactly how i ride the twisties, i "never" touch the brake once and i "never" hit top speed of my bike. I have share this with many riders in our group and they have all given me positive feedback after giving it a try.... being smooth is the name of the game!

I guess it seems that the way the ride is setup to how it actually is run, is a bit deceiving. Might want to clarify so there is no confusion. Just my observations on the hot topic of SMRs.

Very good observation, but my advice is to never listen to what other people tell you until you experience it for yourself. We do mention that it is a "serious" ride and we do mention that the front group is not for beginners. Contrary to what you think, just look at our record, in 6 years of us doing it we only had 2 accidents, one of which was a dumb noob trying to adjust his GoPro approaching a red light and the other one was at cow creek, we all told him to slow down but i guess he didn't believe us. Trace back to every SMR that i have posted and you will see that most of the people that come out are enjoying the rides and that's why they keep coming back. Yes, we are a little faster paced SMRs than others but we do tell people to ride in the back if they are not comfortable with their bikes on the turns and we make it very clear to new riders that even if they think they are fast, try to stay behind for the first run and move up the ranks if they feel appropriate to do so.

Seems like most are having fun which is great though!

I can confidently say that 95% of the riders that join our SMRs are having a great time riding with us and meeting new riders each Sunday, maybe you should join us next time and then share some personal feedback with us after the ride.
A lot of people are hating but we don't really care because instead of wasting time, we are out there enjoying the rides with our friends, i think thats what motorcycles are all about!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #64
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
I sat down to write up a long commentary on this; half way through it, it just hit me that it is a waste of time, so I deleted it.

I will be curious to see what happened today with this group. My SMR went well (as it has for over three years now).

Staton
Don't be hating, how about start to think positive about fellow riders, so much negativity for a simple SMR that you don't even take part on do you see me writing comments about your SMR even though i have never attended a single ride with your group? NOPE, it would be wrong on my part to comment on things i have not experienced before.

FYI our SMR went well as usual, no cops, no accidents, pure fun.... and yeah we have been doing the SMRs for 6 years now, that is twice as long as yours in case you didn't notice
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #65
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

here are some pics of today's ride:

at PP46 9:12 AM
SANY0093

at the gas station taking a break and some water, it was getting really hot!
SANY0100

SANY0099

SANY0098

SANY0097

SANY0096

SANY0095

a short video
Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #66
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

today was a very nice ride!!!
i stayed at the back of the buss and saw that no one got left behind!
we catch some red lights but the group in front waited for us.
this is the first time i stay way in the back.... for those riders that are new but wanna ride early in the morning till noon. this is a good group of friends that love riding on sundays.
just like everything else in life there will be one or two chit happens but the good thing about it is that it does not happen all the time.
i been riding with SMR for 2 moth, my little up and the other guys that got tickes was the only time that i seen something bad happen. but what does not kill you makes you stronger is what they said.!
thanks frank for the meet, it was fun, it was great!
see you guys next sunday!!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #67
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
this is the first time i stay way in the back.... for those riders that are new but wanna ride early in the morning till noon. this is a good group of friends that love riding on sundays.
just like everything else in life there will be one or two chit happens but the good thing about it is that it does not happen all the time.
i been riding with SMR for 2 moth, my little up and the other guys that got tickes was the only time that i seen something bad happen. but what does not kill you makes you stronger is what they said.!
Yeap, It was a lot of fun my friend... no incidents of any kind today!

Oh yeah, make sure you charge the GoPro next Saturday
Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #68
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2003 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Don't be hating, how about start to think positive about fellow riders, so much negativity for a simple SMR that you don't even take part on do you see me writing comments about your SMR even though i have never attended a single ride with your group? NOPE, it would be wrong on my part to comment on things i have not experienced before.

FYI our SMR went well as usual, no cops, no accidents, pure fun.... and yeah we have been doing the SMRs for 6 years now, that is twice as long as yours in case you didn't notice
There is no hate or negativity in my post, nor was there in my post to Floyd on the other string.

I just had some opinions that I chose to not post this time. I am glad you had a good ride.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #69
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

so much hate in here..... this is like H-I (houston imports)!
can we just make love or love each others.??
i'll vote to have a ride to TREASURE'S CLUB .
Old 05-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #70
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

BY THE WAY.......I LIKE JACK IN THE BOX OREO'S SHAKE!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #71
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
so much hate in here..... this is like H-I (houston imports)!
can we just make love or love each others.??
i'll vote to have a ride to TREASURE'S CLUB .
no matter what you do... there is always someone that does not agree with you the positive thing is that we do not live for others
Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #72
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
no matter what you do... there is always someone that does not agree with you the positive thing is that we do not live for others
LOLOLOL..... SO TRUE!!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #73
mizpah
vé con dios

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 Kaw ZR750S

Quote:
Actually Floyd I was in the back of the bus looking after a noob on the ZX14. We had several runs of RR waiting for you guys to show up. Didn't see ya'll so we headed back. Catch ya'll next time!!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #74
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpah View Post
Actually Floyd I was in the back of the bus looking after a noob on the ZX14. We had several runs of RR waiting for you guys to show up. Didn't see ya'll so we headed back. Catch ya'll next time!!
The black Zx14?? i saw him! what bike were you on??

Last edited by floyd600; 05-30-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #75
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpah View Post
Hey mizpah.... a noob on a ZX14? definately not a starter bike lol

We pulled over to the side of the road twice to wait for everybody, how fast were you guys riding? we were all cruising at 85mph and then slowed down to 40mph when we got to the farm roads.

We did about 6 runs of RR and went to the gas station for drinks around 10:45am... stayed there for another 20-30 minutes or so and half of the group went home and the other half continued to fulshear, i made it home around 11:40am....
Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #76
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Hey Sunday,

There's no hating. 95% of people is pretty good I'd say.

I was just throwing suggestions so that the people thinking about going would have clearer expectations. You're explanations to my observations made sense....you should include those in the thread! Hopefully you'd be able to get rid of some of the negativity from assuming expectations.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #77
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Hey Sunday,

There's no hating. 95% of people is pretty good I'd say.

I was just throwing suggestions so that the people thinking about going would have clearer expectations. You're explanations to my observations made sense....you should include those in the thread! Hopefully you'd be able to get rid of some of the negativity from assuming expectations.
hey Senator, i am really glad that my explanation made sense to you, and i really appreciate your suggestions as well.

I have always thought that by including the word "serious" was a clear indication that our pace was above average, and i get what your saying... a lot of people that are used to highway riding think themselves as fast riders, and when they join our SMR, they try to ride at the front and get frustrated by other riders passing them on the turns, speed is very subjective and not all have the same judgement of what is "fast". What's fast to me might be slow to others and vice versa
Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #78
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Hey Mark, don't contradict yourself in the same thread its pretty obvious that a week later, you are still holding a grudge like a little 2 years old kid against the group that had nothing to do at all with you getting a speeding ticket....

here is to refresh your mind:
Yeah im hating/crying etc.. It is what it is. There is a lot more personal stuff bothering me that prob didnt help me hold back on this one.. oh well..

As far as me taking it personal..... please.... i was just trying to make a point that most people so far thinks that it is your own fault that you got ticketed and not the group's fault.... you are the only hard headed person in here that don't get it it's 45 votes vs 3 so far? and one of those was obviously yourself lol

In case you didn't read it before, we have been doing our SMRs for over 6 years now and everybody seems to be happy with it We all come out to have fun and nobody has any reason to hate....

I have never been to your rides so i cannot comment on them but obviously there was something wrong and thats why it got nasty and people started hating on your smr.... that was your case..... it's obviously NOT our case here!

Like i said it before Mark, it's time to move on and enjoy your weekend, don't hold so much hate for something this simple, if you didn't agree with our SMR, just don't come, as simple as that i am sure nobody will miss you at all
Im curious if you even knew what I was talking about when I said "personal stuff" cause it looks like you havent the slightest clue. As well you shouldnt. I feel like im moving on to something different with every post and all you do is say im crying about a ticket.. Its like liberals calling conservatives "racist" when they dont agree with OBAMA.. It seems to be your only defense.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #79
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

can we stop already?!?!?!?

:

:
Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #80
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The fastest SMRs will always be the ones not posted.

Anything publicized will always be ridiculed.

If the leaders are overlooking situations, bring it to their attention. If they still dont lead satisfactory in your eyes, make your own public SMR or ride another.

Leading and organizing large groups is never an easy task and is very daunting for leaders. The time taken to watch the group vs riding your own bike is near 50/50 and takes several riders to keep the group together. Never an easy task nor will it ever be perfect.

The FG group started out of people wrecking constantly on those north rides. More and more emphasis was put into gear, slowing down, group by speed, responsibility shared by more then just a leader etc etc. We get new riders on every ride and we purposely run the group up to 3090 at a certain pace on every single ride, on the same route every time so the leaders can watch the group and see how each rider is riding that day. Most dont realize we do this. By the time we get to Anderson all the leaders come to the head and discuss what they saw and we focus our talk before 3090 on that information or will single out riders privately to inform them or get some ideas. We do have rules about first 3090 rides/speeds/etc but even with all that there are still run offs and mistakes made on the ride.

The amazing thing about the rides are the members that move on and the new ones that come in. Seems we lose alot of the guys to track but amazing enough, they are there to help our newer FGs and new to track peeps when they progress to that state.

The people make the ride, the leaders devote their time and patience to be the glue between it all.

Last edited by CaligoneTx; 05-30-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Closed Thread

Advertisement