MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #21
GSXR_911
I'm awesome, mom said so

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750 Black/Black

I prefer riding in the back, that way the experienced guys can have their fun. The good thing is I have a great set of riding buddies that helped me along the way and never felt I "had to keep up." Not sure how many people you're planning on riding with or where you're starting from. My suggestion as a 1 yr newbie is take your MSF coarse, get a little bit more comfortable riding in all conditions, then take an alternate route like HWY6 to Galveston. The one thing I love about riding is even though these bikes are fast as , you can still just cruise and enjoy the ride. Good luck to you mate
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Riding Discussion sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 68 12-16-2012 07:26 AM
Question for the MH Group AFS_Racing Off Topic 10 09-08-2009 06:51 AM
Group riding last night?? Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-31-2009 12:50 PM
question about group riding 05cert Events, Meets and Rides 34 07-28-2007 01:11 AM
Safe Group Riding stlal General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-04-2007 03:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
Bruiser

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2009 yamaha R6 Raven

Member Garage

thanks for all the info guys like i said taking the MSF friday and if we do end up going it will only be a few of us and they all know im a newbie and look out for me
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
thanks for all the info guys like i said taking the MSF friday and if we do end up going it will only be a few of us and they all know im a newbie and look out for me
Just FYI, if you're taking the BRC with us, next month we're starting a Group Riding Class that will be FREE for previous students. Good luck with your class either way.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
MSF and RoadKing foundation would tell you the most experienced riders should be the leader then the sweeper. Least experience 2nd, w the more experienced of the others tapering back.

Reason being the less experienced riders can be governed by speed and not have to constantly play catch up when the leader is adjusting his speed for the group. Also, they have a tendency to slinky forward and back alot. More experienced riders in the rear will be able to adjust for this.

My recommendation would be to ride second on the right side not the left or fourth w the group. Reason being you will always be in the mirror of the leader. Having more riders infront of you helps gauge corners and road conditions.

If you have a good strong leader that can communicate w a good sweeper every lane change should have enough room for a casual change for the whole group; w the sweeper cutting over quickly as soon as the leader gives signal to block the lane change for the whole group.

I think group riding is a very valuable skill and most that dont learn this way when they first start riding have the mentality its a tricky game. Most meaningly they are used to the 'everyone is out for themselves' speed game vs slowing down and riding AS A GROUP not individuals.

GL, ride safe and leave plenty of room for you to operate your bike to your comfort level.

And hit me up if you'd like to go for a ride. I'll ride w your pace or slow you down if you let me know ahead of time for safety. If I bore you I really dont care. Safety and proper techniques are important in rider initial development to not start and maintain poor riding habits.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #25
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

super helpful thread!

Advertisement